Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Fender Mustang GT Amp

I think I'm in a minority-of-one on HFC in thinking highly of Fender's Mustang v.2 amps.

Last week, I picked up news that Fender had released their new upgraded line.  Yesterday, I had a brief chance to try out the Mustang GT 100.  It's a significant upgrade, with meaningful improvements to sound quality, signal processing flexibility and user interface.  

I can't comment on the fidelity of the modeling amp's tones, but I can say that the new amp's tone is immediately and noticeably fuller and more detailed than the v.2, which I use a few times per week.  Simply, the Mustang GT's tone sounded beautiful to me.  I should have taken the time to listen to its emulated break-up (duh) and the same-soundness of distortion that I often hear in modelers/emulators/whatevers. 

One of the shortcomings of the v.2 is the limitation on the number and order of effects in the virtual signal chain.  During my test of the amp, those limitations were practically lifted for me.  I regret that I didn't see how far I could go in adding and reordering effects.

I think the user interface (both graphical and mechanical) was a home-run.  Fender's engineers managed to allow users to control far more, with fewer buttons and screen changes.  The interface was highly intuitive.  Despite being meaningfully different than past Mustang amp GUIs, I was able to figure out how to navigate to everything I wanted within about a minute.

Weighing in at a mere 22 lbs, it somehow managed to feel significantly lighter than the already lightweight v.2 (maybe better balance).  I've read that the GT's cabinet is made of plywood, compared to the v.2's MDF.  Small changes to the unit, manage to also to give me the impression that an already sturdy combo was even sturdier.

As an aside, Fender's release of the amp was one of the worst product releases that I've ever witnessed.  I heard about it on a forum, where it was reported that one of the product developers posted a pic and a blurb on his Instagram page mentioning that it was available.  There was no mention, at all, to be found on Fender's website.  Googling "Fender Mustang GT" produced... guess what?  Results relating to Ford Mustang GT fenders.  Brilliant choice of product names.

I'm three weeks away from a cross-country move and major lifestyle change, so it's no time for me to bring one home.  Once I settle in, I'm going to explore whether the GT makes sense for me, as a more affordable alternative to my Helix.  

If anyone on the forum has tried (or bought one), I'd welcome your thoughts.

"Googling "Fender Mustang GT" produced... guess what?  Results relating to Ford Mustang GT fenders.  Brilliant choice of product names".

Way back in my college days, I posted on the school bulletin board a for sale note for a Fender Jaguar. I almost immediately got a frenzied call from someone with a heavy Middle East accent demanding to know how much it would take to buy the whole car.

Sounds like a nice and more affordable option. I have not used a modeler since an earlier Line Six floorboard. It was actually quite decent for casual live play AFTER you got past the learning curve to make it right. (That reminds me is is sitting upstairs, unused for several years). Obviously, the state of the art has improved dramatically with more modern technology.

I'm glad Fender continues to work on the concept. I'm usually eager to try new tech, from carbon fiber guitars to loopers and synthesized beats, but I'm not trying any more modeling amps. I know it's great but it has never clicked for me. Weird, wish I knew why. Has the Fuse software improved? It took ages to install for Mac OS when I tried it. 

The effects section is (or was) the same as in the Super Champ X2, which is the greatest amp ever built. A buddy has an older Mustang that sounds great for the price, size, and weight. The new one sounds like a nice upgrade.

Good luck with the move.

I'm guessing it'll be great at doing burnouts when leaving the local Cars And Coffee events?

6 hours ago, polara said:

Has the Fuse software improved? It took ages to install for Mac OS when I tried it. 

I never had a problem with Fuse on my Mac.  But, I'm not sure if Fender continued Fuse with the Mustang GT.

14 hours ago, Michael_B said:

I never had a problem with Fuse on my Mac.  But, I'm not sure if Fender continued Fuse with the Mustang GT.

I had to install older versions of a couple elements of the Mac OS. It was ages ago... trying to rememebr... there was an issue with the silverlight plug-in, and Fuse required one that was older than the OS I was using, so I had to use a third-party piece of software to "force" the old silverlight onto my system. It was a weird process that I found on some of the forums. Once it worked it was fine, but it still was lacking compared to what Line 6 made, so while I felt the amp had a lot of potential, the software was less impressive.

• 6 months later...

Just glancing at searchallcraigs for a V.2, it seems like a good price.  I don't know the practical differences between the V.1 and the V.2, but the wisdom of the Internet says V.2 is a meaningful improvement.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a second MIII to spread the stereo effects and move more air. The MIII is loud. Two will be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 12:46 AM, fractal said:

The Boss Katana gets a lot of love.  You may want to try one of those out.

I dig my Katana 50 combo, esp w/ a spkr swap. I haven't even delved into the "tricky" hidden amps, tho I did hook up my computer and tweaked the delay down to 1 repeat and switched the comp to "fat". I use it around the house, and for solo jazz looper gigs, although it could be used w/ a band (but not my deafening grunge covers band, ha).

Archived