Hamer Fan Club Message Center

eBay drops selling fees to 3.5% on musical gear

Wow.   That definitely helps.   Although reverb pretty well established at this point.    And their customer service is great.  

I used to list everything on ebay...  now they're like the 5th choice,  I'll bet the numbers dropped thru the floor.   

The fact that they've become so anti-seller makes selling there nearly impossible.  There is zero recourse for impulse buys or when idiot buyers change their minds after the fact.  In addition to fees, sellers get screwed on shipping, etc which can be a ton of money.  Not worth doing.

Yeah, definitely trying to compete with reverb, but I think it's too little too late. The interface, customer service, and ease of use of reverb really works when compared to ebay's crap. The templates that reverb use look great, are easy to navigate, etc etc.

Reverb simply built a better mousetrap for sellers. I would prefer to work a busy intersection peddling gear than sell on eBay. Since Reverb surfaced, I might buy on eBay, but I won't sell there.

I just had a disturbing eBay experience where I bought some items and I received an empty box that was opened and damaged. The Post Office actually delivered me an empty busted up box with a little green sticker that said, "received damaged, received open and received without any contents".

I contacted eBay and started a case... I took detailed pictures of the empty box and uploaded them into the case...

... and after a week or two, eBay closed my case in favor of the seller.

I could't even leave a negative feedback and just had my money taken from me.

Most one-sided experience I have ever had... eBay is MOST DEFINITELY on the side of the sellers now. It makes sense... they make money off of the sellers, not the buyers. I'm still shocked at how poorly I was treated.

Reverb might have made some inroads, but eBay is still is king and has the much larger audience.  Unless you are a guitar forum user, you probably haven;t heard of Reverb.  My results have been mixed with Reverb, stuff sells, albeit more slowly due to the smaller audience. 

1 hour ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I just had a disturbing eBay experience where I bought some items and I received an empty box that was opened and damaged. The Post Office actually delivered me an empty busted up box with a little green sticker that said, "received damaged, received open and received without any contents".

I contacted eBay and started a case... I took detailed pictures of the empty box and uploaded them into the case...

... and after a week or two, eBay closed my case in favor of the seller.

I could't even leave a negative feedback and just had my money taken from me.

Most one-sided experience I have ever had... eBay is MOST DEFINITELY on the side of the sellers now. It makes sense... they make money off of the sellers, not the buyers. I'm still shocked at how poorly I was treated.

wow...   did you put that purchase on plastic?   can't imagine the credit card company would be all that

happy with that decision.  Even if you didn't, I would not give up disputing that.    

Don't even get me started on the condition of things I've bought that were packaged incorrectly or inadequately by sellers and then "handled" by USPS in recent months. I've made it a practice to ask Jescar to now bubble wrap and double-box my raw fret wire orders because the straight wire runs I like (I radius my own) were arriving VERY pre-radiused and funkily if you know what I mean LOL. And here's exactly what I found when a smoke green '62 Gretsch Double Anniversary husk arrived from New Jersey a few months ago. How that hollowbody survived that voyage is beyond my comprehension.

IMG_7919.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_7925.jpg

Edited to add ... the body and neck were not attached to each other (formal neck reset was started but never completed) and the two pieces were bubble-wrapped individually in the box.

8 hours ago, serial said:

The fact that they've become so anti-seller makes selling there nearly impossible.  There is zero recourse for impulse buys or when idiot buyers change their minds after the fact.  In addition to fees, sellers get screwed on shipping, etc which can be a ton of money.  Not worth doing.

All true........... Ebay has priced themselves out of the market and when that happens people look for other less costly means to sell their items.

11 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I got this from a seller... 

DSCN0457.jpg

He just put a mailing label on a cabinet and a little tape to hold the grill in place.  The speakers bounced out at the screws.  PayPal was on my side that time. 

I personally don't buy a lot of amps online, because of this kind of stuff,   once got a combo amp where a gear pager

with decent feedback commented that he was pretty comfortable packing and it had one layer of bubble

wrap... I don't trust people to idiot proof their packages.     

Reminds me of Alpep's comment here years ago about shipping amps in general. Something along the lines of overoveroverpacking the amp, bringing it to the shipper ... "and then I pray." LOL

14 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I got this from a seller... 

DSCN0457.jpg

He just put a mailing label on a cabinet and a little tape to hold the grill in place.  The speakers bounced out at the screws.  PayPal was on my side that time. 

That is on the shipper for accepting the item for shipment in such a condition. 

I received the marble Virtuoso and Spidey (the first time) in their cases with just tape around the case to hold them shut with a mailing label stuck on them. 

Guys I read the fine print yesterday when this came in my inbox,  Its a limited time thing, I think it was 6 weeks.  It is just to lure people back to eBay and their crazy policies.  Check out all the exclusions that apply.  Its a big ploy to try and get people all riled up with the teaser 3.5 % rate and then jack it up again.  Like I said their are many exclusions and I think one of them is you have to list Auction style, I don't and never will Auction off my stuff to non paying bidders with remorse after they see they paid too much and panic,..Good try eBay...Not this guy...

G

1 minute ago, george4th said:

Guys I read the fine print yesterday when this came in my inbox,  Its a limited time thing, I think it was 6 weeks.  It is just to lure people back to eBay and their crazy policies.  Check out all the exclusions that apply.  Its a big ploy to try and get people all riled up with the teaser 3.5 % rate and then jack it up again.  Like I said their are many exclusions and I think one of them is you have to list Auction style, I don't and never will Auction off my stuff to non paying bidders with remorse after they see they paid too much and panic,..Good try eBay...Not this guy...

G

Start the auction at the lowest price you'd accept. 

4 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Start the auction at the lowest price you'd accept. 

Yep, I could do that.  I just rather reverb, up front pricing with a optional make an offer button.  Actually I would just rather sell my stuff to you guys if I EVER get rid of anything!  I am so much the PACKRAT...but really guys read all of the BS to take advantage of the 3.5% it truly is astounding in my opinion.  Thanks brother for the advice (and I am being serious here).

G

So fucking what. eBay blows. Don't even care if there's a bigger audience. I'm not selling volumes of Chinese knockoff garbage that populates a lot of eBay. 

I only ever end up there when someone here links out to a cool guitar I usually can't buy anyway :) I leave immediately after. It just feels gross to be there.

Archived