Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wrap Tail Studios--- Tell me about them please

I would appreciate it if anone who has, or has had, an adjustable wrap tail studio would share their opinions, thoughts and impressions of this model.

I am guessing the factory original wrap tail models were made in the 90's?

What were the neck carves like?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

You can't have mine B).....made in '95

The neck is bit fatter than medium, but not a baseball bat like some of the 50's gibsons can be.

People sometimes have intonation issues with the wraptail bridge, but mine is perfect. I've gigged it tuned to standard & drop D........E flat.......and D drop C ( NOT all at the same gig :rolleyes:)

Its one of those guitars that I can hang on the wall and not touch it for 3 months....and it will still be in tune when I grab it again (no BS).

Its PERFECT.......except it will need new frets soon (now), I've got some hours on this one. 

4 hours ago, Eric Weston said:

The neck is bit fatter than medium, but not a baseball bat like some of the 50's gibsons can be.

Its one of those guitars that I can hang on the wall and not touch it for 3 months....and it will still be in tune when I grab it again (no BS).

Its PERFECT.......

I would have to agree with pretty much everything Eric said.

Only thing I would add would be that if I had the cash right now I would be all over this one

37 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Only thing I would add would be that if I had the cash right now I would be all over this one

Word!  Very nice looking guitar.  Mine is green, the top doesn't pop like that one, non-original pickups, bridge replaced with PRS unit, but a fine guitar nonetheless.

I had a blonde wrap tail.   Belly cut. Relatively lightweight.  Pretty maple tops on those mid-90 studios.  Wrap tail could be swapped out, but not necessary.   That blue one is sharp.   

5 hours ago, Eric Weston said:

People sometimes have intonation issues with the wraptail bridge, but mine is perfect. I've gigged it tuned to standard & drop D........E flat.......and D drop C ( NOT all at the same gig :rolleyes:)

Its PERFECT.......except it will need new frets soon (now), I've got some hours on this one. 

1 hour ago, Hbom said:

I would have to agree with pretty much everything Eric said.

I agree with everything that's being said here (including the part about being all over that blue one if I could afford it -- haha).

I have a '95 also -- wraptail, belly cut -- and the neck is fatter than my '81 Special but thinner than a 50s profile Les Paul neck. I've never had any intonation problems, but then again I'm not playing super-critical chord melody figures above the 15 fret so YMMV. I wanted to try something different with the pickups, so I put in a Rio Grande Buffalo Texas Set (Genuine Texas bridge, Buffalo Bucker neck) and I'm pleased with the results.

Studio_001.jpg

I agree with all the others about how great the wraptail Studios are. Should never have sold the one I had.

Love mine. I've owned it more than 20 years. Gigged it most of that time. All original. Neck is a nice handful. Not too thick but not a shredding neck. Just a solid working mans guitar.   

IMG_0001.JPG

Hi everyone,

If I'm wrong about this, please correct my statement,

but weren't the guitars built with the Wilkinson Wrap-tails built mainly in 1996 (maybe late 1995)?

Anyway, I played a 1996 Artist in ( I think) 1998 and it was a fantastic guitar.

I don´t remember the shape of the neck, but to the best of my recollection many people on this forum really like the guitars

with these bridges/from this period.

That particular guitar certainly was the one that compelled me to buy a Hamer (Artist Anniversary) almost 10 years later.

Cheers,

Tobias

My first taste of a wraptail was on a '95 Artist.  It had the Wilkenson wraptail with the single slider for the G & B strings.  Loved it!  #1) the spartan, simple look of it   #2) It worked.  When I played it at the guitar shop it was perfectly setup.  I never had to fiddle with it.  After that I was a believer,  I only bought Artists and an Eclipse and Studios that had wraptails.  I bought a few that arrived with Pig Tails fully intonateable wraptails.  Played them for a while with the Pigtails...Nope.  Replaced them with Wilky's.  I never tried the ultimate in simple bridges, the Gibson old school, straight, simple bar.   Who was it that said "intonation is for pussies!" was that BCRGreg or hollowskull or kizanski or perhaps Galileo?

I like simple.  Complex makes my head spin around on my pencil neck.  Somehow a Kahler once snuck into my home.  It was banished a couple months later.  I tried to like it, honest Miss Canfield.  Cheers!

caddie

Archived