Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar $1200 shipped @ Adorama

Johnny plays white, red Sherwood Green and Black ones live.  I prefer the white one, but that's a screaming deal for the best Jaguar ever built.

Some pics I've taken over time of Johnny live with 'em:

image_zpsgtxwbgmf.jpeg

image_zpsabpsgm3h.jpeg

image_zps5utkximr.jpeg

image_zpsopds0ow2.jpeg

image_zpsvvogj8u1.jpeg

JMarrRamsHead2013_zps64ac4b76.jpg

JMarr93042913_zps42011e31.jpg

JMarr93042913mm_zps9e5f3e24.jpg

JMarr93042913pp_zpsb66ae82f.jpg

Cool! Are those US made?

does Johnny still play with Modest Mouse? That's the only time I've seen him and it was fantastic.

He hasn't played with MM in many years.  He did a stint with The Cribs - I caught him in that band almost a decade ago, and it was a phenomenal show.  He's been touring as a solo act with a shit hot band for the last few years.  Probably the best I've seen him, all 5 times.  Definitely worth catching that if you're even a slight fan of his playing.

Sherwood green is the best Fender custom color.  Except for Fiesta Red.

Or Surf Green.

Dammit!

4 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

Sherwood green is the best Fender custom color.  Except for Fiesta Red.

Or Surf Green.

Dammit!

Lake placid blue is another contender for best Fender color. 

That's a terrific guitar. Since my playing is kind of Marr-minus-talent, I actually ended up with one of those (returned the Flaxwood to GC and got the Marr Jaguar instead) and it's an instrument that corrects the quirks of the regular Jag and makes it much more of a rocker. 

Never seen Johnny live or even played a jag for that matter but one thing I do know is Mr. Marr is probably the most well rounded guitarist I can think of.

Would love to get me hands on one of these!

1 hour ago, Lockbody said:

Thank goodness the sale is over! I came so close to pulling out the credit card several times over the weekend and just telling LockbodyWife "sorry".

I caved but only because I think I could turn it around at zero/minimal loss.  If I don't like it, I'll be driving through Birmingham in a couple weeks and would be happy to drop it off :)

9 minutes ago, cynic said:

I caved but only because I think I could turn it around at zero/minimal loss.  If I don't like it, I'll be driving through Birmingham in a couple weeks and would be happy to drop it off :)

It's a cool guitar: jangly, cutting, comfortable to play and you won't believe it, but stays in tune like no one's business. Vibrato has a great feel, like the smoothest Bigsby ever (no extreme whammys.) BUT...

Fender put a Mustang bridge on (common chage from the usual Jaguar) that has a Staytrem-approved modification:  nylon bushings in the posts to keep it from buzzing while still rocking. It works fine except like EVERY Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang bridge it's too damn wide. They are all 55-point-something millimeters from E to E, which means your high and low E strings are at the absolute edge of the fretboard. You can train your fingers to bend only toward the middle of the neck for vibrato and bends, but WHY THE HELL DOES FENDER NOT USE 52MM SPACING LIKE TUNE-O-MATICS?

Staytrem (the Mustang unit on the Marr had some input from John at Staytrem but is not his machined, handmade bridge) and Mastery bridges both have 52mm spacing to fix this. If you look on the offset-waist-Fender forums, you'll see endless threads bitching about the rattles and buzzes on the Jag/Jazz bridges and the infernal spacing on the Jag/Jazz and Mustang bridges.

Why Fender can't change production to keep the strings from falling off the edge of the neck is beyond me. Vintage correct, sheesh. Anyway Marr uses a real UK-made Staytrem and I have one coming this week so I can actually bend strings without cussing.

I've got two "Real UK-made Staytrem" units and one Fender Marr bridge.  One Staytrem is in my '64 Jazzmaster, where it made a TON of difference (yes...really!), and I've got a project Spazzmaster that will be getting the other Staytrem...or the Fender Marr...not sure yet.

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Sounds like a FACKYO product.  

It's very similar...

Here's my son's that I put together for him a couple of years back that turned into his main gig guitar:

MCM%20Spazzmaster2_zpsn3otnjpe.jpg

(That one got played out more than his Fuschia '85 Phantom, hanging out to lower right in the pic)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 10:35 AM, Lockbody said:

Thank goodness the sale is over! I came so close to pulling out the credit card several times over the weekend and just telling LockbodyWife "sorry".

Well, you have another chance, deal is back on for now.

11 hours ago, Tortious said:

Well, you have another chance, deal is back on for now.

21 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Awesome!! Get him right back in the game!

This time I have two weeks of hotel rooms for our vacation, contacts and new glasses on my Visa. Not even tempted.

Well, okay. Maybe a little.

:P

• 9 months later...

If that comes with OHSC, it's a steal...

Archived