Hamer Fan Club Message Center

All time favourite distortion/overdrive or fuzz pedal?

2 hours ago, Hfan said:

I like my Mythical Overdrive. Good customer service from the builder too when the LED died, he offered to replace it for free, sent me a few and I did it myself.

I heard a few references to the Tim and the Timmy..different pedals I assume? I have a Timmy I bought and quit using after I got the Mythical OD, need to break it out again. Also have a Jacques Overtube I bought when I got back into playing electric upon Guitar Player mag's review. Tried to sell it a few times, no takers.

Never considered ganging up two together, interesting.

Hey HFan, the Tim and Timmy are made by the same guy. The Tim is a bit bigger, with bass/treble/volume controls and a toggle for distortion on /off. But it also adds a boost, which you can control the amount of drive on and the boost channel also has a tone control.

The boost only works when the normal is engaged, it's not a true second channel. (well, i guess i'm writing a redundancy, 'cause that's kinda the definition of a boost right there! :P)

It also has a loop in/out, but I've never use it, too fancy for me, ha.

The Timmy is basically the same, but without the boost or "more" button. I've read that it's got a bit more gain available than the Tim on the normal channel. But I've never played a Timmy, so I'm not 100% on that.

The Timmy is still available, but I think the Tim is out of production. I'm assuming the maker phased it out, because they cover pretty much the same ground.

8 hours ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

Are you using the mini Spark or the 4-knob? I've been enjoying a tc electronic MojoMojo and Dark Matter and have considered adding a Spark.

The Hotone Xtomp can cop several classic fuzz and distortion boxes and is a fun wildcard to add to a small pedalboard. 

The 4-knob. The tone shaping and the Fat/Clean/Mid switch are really great.

All time favorite? I can't go with just one since it changes as often as my mood.

If you twist my arm and make me choose just one I'll go real old school with the original Big Muff pi. I had tons of fun with that noisemaker for over a decade.

Currently I use a JHS Andy Timmons stacked with either a Tone City Bad Horse or EP Boost. 

22 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

Some really cool sounding pedals that I'm hearing about for the first time!

That's what kills me when people bash TGP.  Sure, it's got a rep and some of the conversations go badly off the rails, but there's a ton of people talking about a ton of gear all the time. Just eavesdrop long enough and you'll learn about something new.

Useful things I learned from my time at TGP:

• Set a tube screamer to low drive and high level to push an amp into overdrive
  • That Hamer was a criminally underpriced brand on the used market
  • If you're getting a muddy tone from your neck pickup, dial in your tone on the neck first, then dial back the tone knob to get rid of any shrill that comes when you switch to the bridge pickup
  • About a dozen different approaches to live looping and the gear that supports them
  • The different types of delays
  • About most of the modelers on the market
  • To add a HF shelving EQ after a modeler's amp block to tame some of the high end
  • About Bill Lawrence (Wilde) pickups and the whole wonderland of info about pickups that he documented at pickupology
  • The fact that scale length matters
  • P90 pickups
  • Stainless steel frets
  • Rolled fretboard edges

... and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

1 hour ago, sixesandsevens said:

That's what kills me when people bash TGP.  Sure, it's got a rep and some of the conversations go badly off the rails, but there's a ton of people talking about a ton of gear all the time. Just eavesdrop long enough and you'll learn about something new.

Useful things I learned from my time at TGP:

• Set a tube screamer to low drive and high level to push an amp into overdrive
  • That Hamer was a criminally underpriced brand on the used market
  • If you're getting a muddy tone from your neck pickup, dial in your tone on the neck first, then dial back the tone knob to get rid of any shrill that comes when you switch to the bridge pickup
  • About a dozen different approaches to live looping and the gear that supports them
  • The different types of delays
  • About most of the modelers on the market
  • To add a HF shelving EQ after a modeler's amp block to tame some of the high end
  • About Bill Lawrence (Wilde) pickups and the whole wonderland of info about pickups that he documented at pickupology
  • The fact that scale length matters
  • P90 pickups
  • Stainless steel frets
  • Rolled fretboard edges

... and I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

I agree sixesandsevens (what's that name in reference to? sound cool)

There's a lot of noise on TGP, that's for sure. A lot of junk.

But, if you take things with a grain of salt, I think you can learn a lot. If you pay attention to people with direct experience with the gear that they're talking about, in a band context, live etc.. (not just 5 minutes at a store) you can learn a lot about things.

There's certain guys that post on there, when I see their screen name I pay attention. I may not agree with everything they say, but they have experience and it's cool to see their viewpoints.

That said, I won't deny there's an element of snobbish "only the most rare/expensive will do" that some folks there have which gets really annoying.

22 hours ago, sonic1974 said:

I agree sixesandsevens (what's that name in reference to? sound cool)

There's a lot of noise on TGP, that's for sure. A lot of junk.

But, if you take things with a grain of salt, I think you can learn a lot. If you pay attention to people with direct experience with the gear that they're talking about, in a band context, live etc.. (not just 5 minutes at a store) you can learn a lot about things.

There's certain guys that post on there, when I see their screen name I pay attention. I may not agree with everything they say, but they have experience and it's cool to see their viewpoints.

That said, I won't deny there's an element of snobbish "only the most rare/expensive will do" that some folks there have which gets really annoying.

Agreed.  If you're in the small luthiers forum, it gets a bit snobby.  I find that in the Guitars, Amps, Pedals, and Digital and Modeling sections it's not too awful.  The Playing & Technique one was good too when I was frequenting it, but comparatively low traffic (*rimshot*).  I get the impression the pub and lounge may be the worst of the worst.  But yeah, when it's just geeks geeking about gear, it works for me.  Here there's a ton of knowledge, but a lot less geeking out.

(Regarding the user name, I had some dice sitting on the table and they'd come up sixes and sevens, so I used it.  Later I found out that "at sixes and sevens" is british slang for confusion and disarray (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/sixes-and-sevens.html).  It could conveniently refer to six and seven string guitars too, but I've only got sixes and one eight, so maybe I should change it to sixesandeight. ;))

I especially found the modelling section interesting, because I had limited experience with modelling. That section was really bad at a certain point, with a fight always ready to break out, re: Axefx or Kemper better?

It seems to have settled down now. There's cool info in there, ultimately I decided modelling isn't for me right now. I really only need a Fender style clean and some favourite distortions. At some point down the road maybe I'll buy a Kemper (seems easier to use for me than an Axefx).

And yeah, the small luthiers is snob city!!!

31 minutes ago, sonic1974 said:

I especially found the modelling section interesting, because I had limited experience with modelling. That section was really bad at a certain point, with a fight always ready to break out, re: Axefx or Kemper better?

It seems to have settled down now. There's cool info in there, ultimately I decided modelling isn't for me right now. I really only need a Fender style clean and some favourite distortions. At some point down the road maybe I'll buy a Kemper (seems easier to use for me than an Axefx).

And yeah, the small luthiers is snob city!!!

Yeah, there's definitely some heated fights on D&M.  Despite being a happy 11R user for several years, the availability of the IR-loading all-in-one floor units got me shopping again. :D

TC Dark Matter! Not a metal pedal, as the name might suggest - basically has JCM 800 / plexi genes. No TS-like "mid-nose", active (!!) 2-band EQ and it's dirt cheap, so I could even afford two of them for diffent settings! Might get a thrird one for the price...B)

Archived