Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson Explorer Custom

Have you guys seen these yet? I mean, why go as far as binding the body and fretboard just to leave out the headstock? Oh and richlite boards as well. :rolleyes:

http://www.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/2017/custom/explorer-custom.aspx

DSMXPSL11048_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Here's the extended limited production lineup as well:

(note the mini Grover tuners on the photo below, as opposed to the one above with Klusons on Gibson's site. The site specs Grovers, so who knows what you'll get.)

18697966_1558098620868947_57246478606956

Oh I'm sure her personal ones do, but these are not artist runs of her guitars. These are Custom Shop limited runs that are not associated with her.

Gibson USA already did a signature run of her guitars about a year ago, and they had rosewood boards and no binding on the headstock.

I've seen the custom shop flying V's with that kind of tuxedo trim.   very cool, although not

really the best bang for the buck at $4k ish, or whatever they sell for...  

I think it was super cool when HAMER did it...almost 10 years ago.

Hamer Vector Black Beauty.jpg

Hamer Black Beauty Standard 2.jpg

Hamer Black Beauty Standard.jpg

Fellows, haven't you seen it? It's all gold hardware! :wacko:

9 hours ago, crunchee said:

I'd want to think that her Custom ordered Explorer has real Ebony for the fretboard, instead of Richlite.  Otherwise, why bother?  <_<

Am I the only one offended by both the use of Richlite in such pricey guitars as well as the mere observation that the trade name "Richlite" is more befitting a dietary supplement or laxative than a wood substitute used in guitar manufacturing? 

ETA: "When I'm feeling irregular, I take doctor-recommended Richlite."EE1886-Eric-Clapton-2000-Epiphone-Les-Pa

Funny, I can't get to the Gibson website for quite a while now. The Firebird looks okay, but why not the mini humbuckers? I am not really interested in all mahogany guitars with two humbuckers. I am also not into richlite boards on guitars at that price range. I think all Gibson's I am interested in were made between 1977 and 1984. The Hamer versions in Chris' post look very pretty, if there is an Explorer I'd be interested it would be a pair or maple and walnut Gibson Explorer E2 though.

10 hours ago, kizanski said:

Apropos of nothing at all, what's going on with this dude??

dude.jpeg

The face you express when someone is entering from behind.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

OK, I'm late to the party.  WTF is "richlite"?  I'm guessing from the comments so far it's some type of plastic?  If so, no thanks - at any price point.

In terms of its composition, it's paper fibers and phenolic resin.

In terms of application, it's simultaneously a countertop, cutting board, wall cladding....and fretboard on a $4,000 Gibson guitar.

ETA: In fairness to Henry J., I'm sure it works fine in both form and function as a fretboard material. I'm somewhat of a critic of consumer product branding practices (specifically product names, logos, and livery) and I find "Richlite" to be a textbook example of misguided branding. Competing brands include "Carbon by Design", "Paperstone", and "EcoClad"; none of which are much more inspiring than "Richlite".

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

In terms of its composition, it's paper fibers and phenolic resin.

In terms of application, it's simultaneously a countertop, cutting board, wall cladding....and fretboard on a $4,000 Gibson guitar.

ETA: In fairness to Henry J., I'm sure it works fine in both form and function as a fretboard material. I'm somewhat of a critic of consumer product branding practices (specifically product names, logos, and livery) and I find "Richlite" to be a textbook example of misguided branding. Competing brands include "Carbon by Design", "Paperstone", and "EcoClad"; none of which are much more inspiring than "Richlite".

I just saw the Richlite thread and read up on it.  It doesn't sound as bad as originally thought and it's not plastic so it's got that going for it.  Still, I'd avoid it if I could.

Reminds me of my first guitar - a Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe.  I believe those were advertised as being made from "resinwood".  I didn't have a clue what that was at the time.  That guitar was an anchor and had the sustain of a banjo!

Archived