Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Babys

12 minutes ago, Rich_S said:

Giraldo produced the "Ignition" album and played guitar on "Mr. Wonderful".  He played some great solos on some of the earlier Benatar albums.   'Way back when, I worked long and hard to learn them.  Two of my favorites are "Promise In The Dark" and "Precious Time". 

Another thing that strikes me as I'm doing more research: He's *always* got killer tone.

When I saw him live back then, he was running SIX 100-watt Marshall JMP 2x12 combos with EVM-12Ls in them. I've seen an interview with him saying Marshall basically gave them to him, because they weren't selling.

I loved his tone so much, I built one for myself, putting a 2203 chassis in a 50-watt combo shell and replacing the Celestions with EVs.  That amp was a BEAST.  I think he also used a harmonizer for a bit of detune, plus a Roland rack delay.  Mostly his tone is cleaner-that-you'd-think Marshalls, LOUD.

We are SO far off topic.

6 minutes ago, Rich_S said:

We are SO far off topic.

I don't care.

I think I was *just* starting to look up to him as a guitarist, and then Invincible came out, and I was so disappointed in the solo. It left a deep impression and I didn't give him a chance anymore.

Also, I hated that drummer with a burning passion.

Watching it again, I still do.

I did the multi-quote thing and then realized every post I was responding to was Nate's!  Too bad I don't live a little more north or you a little more south - we could get together and have some good musical debates.

18 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Man, that guy gets around. He does the best stuff on Rick Springfield's break out album, right?

The funny thing is, I don't remember that many good guitar solos from the Benetar songs.

Wow.  When I saw this, I couldn't believe what I was reading.  I've always admired his playing.  He can shred when he wants to, but his solos are always so melodic and unconventional (to me).  Then again, I'm a mediocre guitarist at best so maybe I'm more easily impressed.

Yeah, I just went and did a little research.

Nothing worth listening to from Love is a Battlefie.d

Hit Me With your Best Shot: Meh, but it *really* sounded like Jesse's Girl.  I never realized how close they were. 

Then "You'd Better Run".  Wowsa. Great guitar work on that one.

Then I listened to Precious Time. Again, good work.  Kept thinking, "This is the kind of guitar playing I like now. Wish I'd dug into the Benetar catalog before."

OK, now we're moving in the right direction except for the "meh" on Hit Me With Your Best Shot and the comparison to Jessie's Girl.  When you're "that" guitarist and someone hires "that" guitarist, it's probably because they want a solo like "that" guitarist played on that other song and he just did his job.

Another thing that strikes me as I'm doing more research: He's *always* got killer tone.

Indeed!

I don't care.

I think I was *just* starting to look up to him as a guitarist, and then Invincible came out, and I was so disappointed in the solo. It left a deep impression and I didn't give him a chance anymore.

lso, I hated that drummer with a burning passion.

Watching it again, I still do.

It's the first 4 albums that are the best.  It's funny you mention the drummer, Myron Grombacher.  Pat Benetar at the Richmond Mosque in 1979 was my first rock concert and at that time I wanted to be a drummer.  I had not ever played an instrument before, and seeing Myron just fueled that fire although I ended up on guitar.  I loved his playing and his live performance.  I agree that in that video, he was a little hard to take.  A drummer buddy of mine Googled him a few years ago and he was (is?) a car salesman in CA now.

4 hours ago, tommy p said:

I did the multi-quote thing and then realized every post I was responding to was Nate's!  Too bad I don't live a little more north or you a little more south - we could get together and have some good musical debates.

Wow.  When I saw this, I couldn't believe what I was reading.  I've always admired his playing.  He can shred when he wants to, but his solos are always so melodic and unconventional (to me).  Then again, I'm a mediocre guitarist at best so maybe I'm more easily impressed.

OK, now we're moving in the right direction except for the "meh" on Hit Me With Your Best Shot and the comparison to Jessie's Girl.  When you're "that" guitarist and someone hires "that" guitarist, it's probably because they want a solo like "that" guitarist played on that other song and he just did his job.

Indeed!

It's the first 4 albums that are the best.  It's funny you mention the drummer, Myron Grombacher.  Pat Benetar at the Richmond Mosque in 1979 was my first rock concert and at that time I wanted to be a drummer.  I had not ever played an instrument before, and seeing Myron just fueled that fire although I ended up on guitar.  I loved his playing and his live performance.  I agree that in that video, he was a little hard to take.  A drummer buddy of mine Googled him a few years ago and he was (is?) a car salesman in CA now.

For Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Jesse's Girl, it isn't the solo...the power chords and progression are very similar during the chorus.  Similar enough that I'd guess the same person wrote both songs, but of course that's wrong (Rick Springfield and Eddie Schwartz).

I don't have a problem with the drummer's note (?) choices.  He's a fine drummer listening.  But that video was just way too over the top.

The thing is, for as good as Neil is, he's never mentioned as a guitar hero, is he?  I mean, among people who play guitar, he's known, but not among the guitarist fanboi population. I've also never seen a Tab book for his stuff, although his solos are sometimes pretty sophisticated, and the rhythm parts aren't bad either. 

Or are there Tab books?

11 hours ago, tommy p said:

I saw Myron and Neil in Rick Derringer's band at the Great Southern Music Hall in Orlando in 1978.  Neil used two 2x12 Marshall 50wt combos.  Rick had two 100wt stacks.  Both played B.C. Rich guitars the entire night.  Myron was fantastic.  Energy like Tommy Aldridge.   

On 6/9/2017 at 10:17 PM, The Shark said:

I saw Myron and Neil in Rick Derringer's band at the Great Southern Music Hall in Orlando in 1978.  Neil used two 2x12 Marshall 50wt combos.  Rick had two 100wt stacks.  Both played B.C. Rich guitars the entire night.  Myron was fantastic.  Energy like Tommy Aldridge.   

I was at that show .... that was a killer band ... great lineup ... fantastic show

On June 9, 2017 at 3:46 PM, tommy p said:

There are definitely tab books.

I couldn't find any....

...until I realized I was searching for Neil Giraldo Tab.  Pat Benetar Tab book is now in the way to my house.

Archived