Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vince Gill Joins The Eagles

9 minutes ago, unfun75 said:

Actually, a very good replacement. Vince or Jackson Browne are the logical choices.  But... shouldn't the Eagles just call it quits?

We have a winner! 

I thought they were old when I saw them in 1996. That is 21 years ago now.

Jackson Brown, JD Souther I can see, but how is Vince Gill a logical choice to replace Glenn Frey?

i dig the Eagles up till The Long Run and Live album after that tour....but this is huge. Form a new band, but please Eagles without Frey or Henley is like Zep without Plant or Page....you are trying to replace the core, the very foundation. 

Start a new band and call it something else. 

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

We have a winner! 

I agree.................gets to the point where THE Band Isn't THE Band anymore. I understand that there is  A LOT OF MONEY TO BE MADE.  .............just saying when such a important member dies sometimes its best to fold the deck. I think Jason Bonham did a outstanding job drumming for Zep,he did his dad proud for sure but then he wasn't on lead vocals either............a much different gig.

I really like Vince Gill. A lot. One of my favorite guitarists.  What I find intriguing about this is that his guitar playing will fit it nicely, but he practically duplicates Tim Schmit's slot in the vocal strata. Not sure how they'll work that out. 

Keep in mind Gill's tenure in Pure Prairie League some decades ago ("I'm Almost Ready"), so that kinda adds to the validation of him stepping into this new role. In a 2001 interview, he'd noted that when he was in that band he had enjoyed being able to crank up his guitar and just wail.

FWMOW, the Eagles had been the Glenn and Don Show for decades, and now it appears it will be become the Don Henley Experience, from at least a business perspective. Agreed that the jury's still out on the performance perspective.

I am not a VG fan....I just don't know much about him....that is cool now knowing he played in PPL.

I know this is all about $$$

16 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I really like Vince Gill. A lot. One of my favorite guitarists.  What I find intriguing about this is that his guitar playing will fit it nicely, but he practically duplicates Tim Schmit's slot in the vocal strata. Not sure how they'll work that out. 

"Deacon Frey and Gill will divvy up lead vocals on the songs Glenn Frey sang with the Eagles".  I'd definitely buy a ticket to see them!

I agree, vocally Gill is a duplicate of Schmitt.  I have grown weary of these bands cobbling together whoever they can find to squeeze more money out of their fan base.  If The Eagles wanted to impress me, the only replacement they could name is Felder - and that ain't happening.  

Best to remember them as they were. 

Agree that without Henley and Frey its not really the Eagles.

BUT

I can say Vince Gill is one hell of a guitarist.  I dont own any of his records and from my memory they probably wouldn't showcase his chops anyhow (read soft country from what i remember) but that dude can rip blues, chicken pick, or flat pick bluegrass with the best of them.  Pretty sure hes a very sought after studio musician and has more grammies than well, anyone I can think of.  Check out some live videos of him sitting in with different bands.  Eric Clapton Guitar Cross Roads festival comes to mind.  Dont know which year it was of that festival, but I have the DVD and one of his leads in there was just insane!  I rewound it to listen to that solo at lest 10 times.

So lets see (hear) what they can do

Archived