Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Time to decide on first hamer six string.

Played first hamer six string sat night. Mmmmm.....mmmmm.......mmmmm.

It was a Monaco elite p90-el84. I definitely want a p90  axe. I'll have to completely over analyze this.

Is there a Monaco p90 that is all mahogany? I'm assuming that the elite I played had a maple top.

The Monaco Elite Mahogany is all mahogany, but I've only seen those with humbuckers, as far as I can recall.  You could drop a set of PhatCats in there though if you can track one down...

DSC_0052.jpg

Vanguard from 1999....Silver metalflake, P-90 pickups. Essentially a P90 version of the Artist model. Great guitars, esp if you upgrade from the stock Duncans (IMO).

I would post a picture, but cannot find a picture of mine at the moment.

5 hours ago, django49 said:

Vanguard from 1999....Silver metalflake, P-90 pickups. Essentially a P90 version of the Artist model. Great guitars, esp if you upgrade from the stock Duncans (IMO).

I would post a picture, but cannot find a picture of mine at the moment.

This was renamed to the Artist P90 later in life and is available in some other colors like black too. 

10 hours ago, cmatthes said:

The Monaco Elite Mahogany is all mahogany, but I've only seen those with humbuckers, as far as I can recall.  You could drop a set of PhatCats in there though if you can track one down...

Best thing i ever did for my Artist Custom was to remove the seth lover PU's and drop in a set of phat cats.  Honestly I like the cats better than the fralin P90's in my special.  

In a monaco the Phat Cats would be awesome!

Hamers with P90s? Here are a few. quick and dirty shots, but you get the idea. For the time being, I will overlook a couple others with Phat Cats.....One Newport, one Duo-Tone.

Here are one each.....Special, Monaco III, Vanguard, Monaco Elite. FWIW, all 4 have non-stock pickups, all of which I consider a step up from the stock Duncans. IIRC, the Special and Vanguard are the two Hamers I have owned the longest. Notwithstanding the "purge" of something like 3 dozen Hamers over the past 4 years or so, they are both still hanging around. (I should probably resist posting the Monacos---When I have in the past, I have received multiple "dibs" request......Which I have not forgotten, BUT I do not see them going anywhere, maybe ever).

Good luck with your search!

IMG_1690_zpsuv74v1fy.jpg

IMG_1689_zpsprt3m4ou.jpg

IMG_1688_zps25yi50fr.jpg

I knew there was at least one gold top Monaco with P90's out there.  I saw one for sale on this forum a few years ago.  But now that I think about it that one had a Bigsby so there are at least 2 gold top P90 Elites out there and I'm assuming a few more.  Very nice display Django.

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

^ Do you have plans for that workbench? Otherwise, 'dibs'!

Good luck moving it! It actually does have casters (it sits on blocks when portability is not needed---You need a STRONG pry bar to budge it enough to get them into place) but it weighs somewhere near 600 pounds, It took two people just to lift the solid maple butcher block style top (about 160 pounds IIRC) into place where it could be bolted in place.With the slide out drawers on the other side, it has a lot of room for tools and supplies.

It was good practice (so I could learn from my mistakes!) before I tackled all the built in cabinets and other furniture to go in the house.

I dubbed that "Dad's workbench". We were actually going to build it together after I moved back up here, but he died a few months before we got moved. I wish I could relocate the plans, because I know there is one person here that expressed interest in building the same thing.

IMG_1706_zpsulbjg1t9.jpg

IMG_1707_zpsceqi0qjq.jpg

And, yes, the goldtop Monaco Elite is an insane instrument. Between that and the CO goldtop SuperPro, I can cover a lot of ground in style.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:19 AM, grooveman1961 said:

The googler has provided images. That is a nice instrument.

You should have opened a few more cases while you were at the 4-3-2-1 Club. As I said in a different thread, we stock these types of guitars at the 4-3-2-1. haha.  Seriously, stop by again.  All of my favorite guitars have P-90s, and I might even be talked into parting with one. At the very least, you can put a few different models through their paces.

3 hours ago, BruceM said:

You should have opened a few more cases while you were at the 4-3-2-1 Club. As I said in a different thread, we stock these types of guitars at the 4-3-2-1. haha.  Seriously, stop by again.  All of my favorite guitars have P-90s, and I might even be talked into parting with one. At the very least, you can put a few different models through their paces.

Oh, there was no need to open more cases, that Monaco was a great introduction to Hamer six strings. Besides, I was plenty busy playing as it was. It's good, and rare to get to do just what you want, and I did. Just a handful of tunes on guitar (P90 lusciousness) through the little marshall, and a whole bunch -o bass otherwise). I haven't played guitar of any sort publicly in quite a while, so it was great to be able to dip my toe in the water as it were....

Is there certainty that the Vangard/Artist p 90's have a mahogany top? 

On 6/8/2017 at 0:47 PM, grooveman1961 said:

Is there certainty that the Vangard/Artist p 90's have a mahogany top? 

Almost certainly the solid finished ones are as are most of the trans cherry ones.  The Artist Custom adds a maple top, binding, and fancier inlays.  But with Hamer's custom shop ethos, I'm sure there's one out there that breaks that mold.

Edit:  Because of the f-hole, you can also peer inside to be sure. :D

Archived