Hamer Fan Club Message Center

GCS, Henry's cleaning house.

There is some scuddlebut out there on the web.

Henry is cleaning house at the custom shop.

Rick Gembar (GM) is fired, as well as Edwin Wilson (about time), and a few others.

What Henry is up to, only Henry knows atm.

My former co workers, friends, that are still employed there are on edge bigtime.

Hold on to your Historics....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, scottcald said:

This is strictly for the Custom Shop?  What's the endgame - have guys run it who are running the haphazard general assembly lines with the hit and miss QC?

Maybe it's because they WON'T run it that way. For Henry everything pretty much boils down to $$$$. Possibly Loyalty as well.

At the prices they charge for the Custom Shop guitars, I would think they were already making money hand over fist, but it all depends on how many they sell.

2 minutes ago, scottcald said:

This is strictly for the Custom Shop?

I do not know.

All I (somewhat) know what is happening at the GCS.

I reached out to some of former colleges that are still there and confirmed that house cleaning is in full effect atm.

No vacant seats have been replaced. That is all I got confirmed atm.

As far as QC., in any production line, there's a # that needs to be hit. Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly.

I can personally tell you that all discrepancies are pointed out at sometime on the line. It is up to the higher ups to run it or recycle.

haphazard from the "line" is minimal compared to machinery, materials haphazards.

7 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I would think they were already making money hand over fist

Like I said prior, GCS Div. has been floating the other gibson Div. / Corp for a very long time.

If it was not for the GCS $, Gibson/ Henry would have been done along time ago.

well, I would HATE to see something happen to them,   wondering if it's an inventory

issue (end of quarter coming up).    A month or two ago,  my local store mentioned they

had images of some in stock custom shop pieces at the factory... it was a lot.   Then

whatever happened with Dave's  (large dump of product at good prices a couple months

ago).   they had some good stuff,  even the stuff that was picked over after the initial

people bought was still pretty cool.    

One day, I'll definitely own another R8.    new kitchen first.    

Well, messing with the Golden Goose is one of the classic blunders, so I wouldn't expect Henry to be immune. Why make lots of money when you can make MORE lots of money.

57 minutes ago, murkat said:

Like I said prior, GCS Div. has been floating the other gibson Div. / Corp for a very long time.

If it was not for the GCS $, Gibson/ Henry would have been done along time ago.

That's interesting. People speculated that the opposite was true with Hamer, with the imports supposedly subsidizing the USA line.

54 minutes ago, burningyen said:

That's interesting. People speculated that the opposite was true with Hamer, with the imports supposedly subsidizing the USA line.

I know that PRS has said their import line is part of what makes the higher end ones available, but also I think their costs may be a bit higher with all the super premium materials, woods, super fancy inlays, etc etc.

Mind you, I don't build guitars, but Historic LPs just seem to be overpriced for what they are. Not to mention the time involved in making a semi hollow or a jazz box is a lot more.

42 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Hamer USA produced something like 10 total guitars in their final 5 years of existence no? 

Even if that number is exaggerated, the fact stands that GCS is as large as (or larger than, based on the typical unit production and revenue metrics)  some of the smaller guitar brands. I've long been amused by the prices people will pay for GCS Lesters when you could easily find a gently used one or even get a luthier to build a similar/equal/better? instrument for less. That tells me that the Henry J. doctrine prescribes a massive markup on GCS inventory.  And it's worked because the market has--more often than not--signaled that consumers are willing to pay a premium for anything with the "Gibson" logo and, especially, the "Custom" moniker on it.  As such, it doesn't surprise me that the company has made a handsome profit from the output of GCS.

6 hours ago, murkat said:

There is some scuddlebut out there on the web.

Henry is cleaning house at the custom shop.

Rick Gembar (GM) is fired, as well as Edwin Wilson (about time), and a few others.

What Henry is up to, only Henry knows atm.

My former co workers, friends, that are still employed there are on edge bigtime.

Hold on to your Historics....

I see some of these names mentioned elsewhere and touted highly as having done so much for Gibson and that their loss  to Gibson is devastating.............well if that was the case why then were they............................ Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Sure there are some good folks there working hard to do what is called for but the man steering ship has made some questionable moves.....you just have to wonder.

2 hours ago, Tortious said:

I, for one, am looking forward to a new, more historically accurate Richlite fretboard on the R7's, R8's, R9's etc. :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't forget the "ROBOT TUNERS"! ;) Oh and BTW don't forget to pick up one of these beauties.z0nex.jpg

2 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't forget the "ROBOT TUNERS"! ;) Oh and BTW don't forget to pick up one of these beauties.z0nex.jpg

One of these days WAY,WAY in the future, that guitar is going to be worth A LOT of money. Maybe.

No.

It will NEVER be.

36 minutes ago, kizanski said:

They actually made these?  What demo were they trying to reach?

I believe that was called the "Inspired by" Helen Keller Signature Model...

My first thought looking at that is some guy in the factory boasting "I don't need a Firebird body template to cut a damn Firebird body ... y'all stand back 'n watch THIS" LOL

Archived