Hamer Fan Club Message Center

GCS, Henry's cleaning house.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2017 at 7:38 PM, murkat said:

2010, the year of the nashville "flood". most of the plant got flooded, as well as R&D.

R&D moved into the GCS / Pro Shop, where I worked, to attempt to finish that firebird abomination.

That "thing" was, is, Henry's baby. He designed it, He wanted it as so.

Back and forth the R&D crew went between GCS / Corp. With that "Thing" for months.

R&D was so hazed by us no matter what excuse they came up with.

It's been awhile but there was a Firebird X at my now closed local Guitarget. How that A.) it passed inspection in Nashville to be sent to a dealer and B.) was not sent back to Nashville immediately after unboxing at said dealer will forever plague my memory. The clearcoat and this is not an exaggeration looked brushed on. I was standing there looking at every visible flaw when the salesguy came by to see if I needed help. When I involuntarily blurted out that is the worst fucking factory finish I've ever seen he just said "Yeah that color is kinda ugly."

4 hours ago, Stike said:

It's been awhile but there was a Firebird X at my now closed local Guitarget. How that A.) it passed inspection in Nashville to be sent to a dealer and B.) was not sent back to Nashville immediately after unboxing at said dealer will forever plague my memory. The clearcoat and this is not an exaggeration looked brushed on. I was standing there looking at every visible flaw when the salesguy came by to see if I needed help. When I involuntarily blurted out that is the worst fucking factory finish I've ever seen he just said "Yeah that color is kinda ugly."

Knowing your considerable expertise with guitars, finishes, and a spray gun, that ain't good.  :blink::wacko::ph34r:

Mildly interesting article on Gibson/Henry. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-gibson-brands-guitar-henry-juszkiewicz-20170618-htmlstory.html

He blames the total failure of auto tuners and the Shitbird on 'not enough marketing dollars'.

The self-tuning guitars that Gibson pioneered in recent years tripped up the company when Juszkiewicz insisted the technology be rolled out on a broad swath of its models, turning off some traditionalists.

“Technology is a wonderful thing,” Juszkiewicz said. “But technology doesn’t always sit well [with consumers], mostly because there’s not enough marketing dollars to let everybody know what it’s all about.”

On 6/13/2017 at 0:13 AM, Texsunburst59 said:

One of these days WAY,WAY in the future, that guitar is going to be worth A LOT of money. Maybe.

30 years from now, when they remake  the Austin Powers "Goldmember'" movie and that ugly Gibson replaces the ugly Musicvox Spaceranger in the movie....then, maybe, it might be worth more.

On 6/13/2017 at 11:05 AM, Funky Chicken said:

Just take in the whole outfit. The too-small denim jacket, the tan pants, the sneakers straight out of the Mel Torme episode of Seinfeld...

Image result for gibson firebird x henry

I take TOTAL BLAME for the Henry Monster. I think I melted his mind with all the really weird shit I used to play on WCMF from midnight to 6 a.m. in Rochester, NY during his formulative years. I think he spent his summers smoking doobies up along Lake Ontario, listening to "Maggot Brain" by Funkedelics and "Ummagumma" by Pink Floyd.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:11 PM, sixesandsevens said:

So we'll take that as a "no" to the question "Does he even play?" :D

He's the embodiment of what it sounds like to walk into a Guitar Center on a bad day.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, crunchee said:

That sounds about as appealing as a group Ipecac chug-a-lug: :rolleyes:

The inclusion of that clip made this whole thread worthwhile- LMFAO

On 6/13/2017 at 10:05 AM, Funky Chicken said:

Image result for gibson firebird x henry

Ever see somebody pick up a guitar who doesn't play guitar and they look all awkward and sh!t? It looks just like this..

Don't know if I've told this story here before, but it's worth revisiting. 

I got free tickets from a Manager buddy at the Hard Rock Café for a Bad Company reunion pay-per view in Orlando.  Two seats in the second row right in front of Paul.  I think Pat Travers opened for them and, as is customary, I had to hit the head during the intermission.  The meet and greet was going on with Bad Company, so I was in a hurry.  I'm standing at the midget shower relieving myself and this guy comes uncomfortably close to me and says, "Hey, that's my shirt!".  I preceded to turn away from the onlooker and pack things up.  I said, "What do you mean?"  He said, "I'm Henry Jusk-a-whatever and I designed that shirt (it was the first generation Gibson Historic in denim)".  He stuck his hand out to shake mine and I put my finger up and said, "I better wash my hands first, Henry".  He went on to tell me how he was involved in every aspect of Gibson's turn around. I thought to myself then, this is a weird dude.  To this day, I'm not sure he wasn't looking at my junk.  We never did shake hands. 

Then, when I went back to our seats after the meet and greet, he was two seats left of me in the front row.  He kept turning around smiling the entire show.  Every time I wore that shirt, there was some level of creepiness that came over me.  I guess he's a personable guy, but his social skills left something to be desired.

Ralphs played a Historic made to look like his original burst for one song.  The tech walked out to grab it from Mick right after the song ended, so I think it was a contractual deal as I saw it for sale in Vintage Guitar not long after that for crazy money.

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

To this day, I'm not sure he wasn't looking at my junk.  We never did shake hands. 

Crazy story. At least he didn't offer to "shake the dew off of your lily."

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

Don't know if I've told this story here before, but it's worth revisiting. 

I got free tickets from a Manager buddy at the Hard Rock Café for a Bad Company reunion pay-per view in Orlando.  Two seats in the second row right in front of Paul.  I think Pat Travers opened for them and, as is customary, I had to hit the head during the intermission.  The meet and greet was going on with Bad Company, so I was in a hurry.  I'm standing at the midget shower relieving myself and this guy comes uncomfortably close to me and says, "Hey, that's my shirt!".  I preceded to turn away from the onlooker and pack things up.  I said, "What do you mean?"  He said, "I'm Henry Jusk-a-whatever and I designed that shirt (it was the first generation Gibson Historic in denim)".  He stuck his hand out to shake mine and I put my finger up and said, "I better wash my hands first, Henry".  He went on to tell me how he was involved in every aspect of Gibson's turn around. I thought to myself then, this is a weird dude.  To this day, I'm not sure he wasn't looking at my junk.  We never did shake hands. 

Then, when I went back to our seats after the meet and greet, he was two seats left of me in the front row.  He kept turning around smiling the entire show.  Every time I wore that shirt, there was some level of creepiness that came over me.  I guess he's a personable guy, but his social skills left something to be desired.

Ralphs played a Historic made to look like his original burst for one song.  The tech walked out to grab it from Mick right after the song ended, so I think it was a contractual deal as I saw it for sale in Vintage Guitar not long after that for crazy money.

Sounds like you missed a docking opportunity. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, Tortious said:

He blames the total failure of auto tuners and the Shitbird on 'not enough marketing dollars'.

I take this to mean that if Gibson had spent enough marketing dollars to give every guitar player in the world one of those goofy guitars, and paid them all to use them, the auto tuners would have been more successful.

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

there was some level of creepiness that came over me.

imagine every gibson employee feeling like that at any gibson event He attends.

He is truly creepy.

5 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Ever see somebody pick up a guitar who doesn't play guitar and they look all awkward and sh!t? It looks just like this..

yeah, Potsy Weber looked more experienced with a guitar in his hands.

The weird thing about the auto tuners...   You could take them off and pretty easily drop in

some grovers or kluson type tuners,  reliable fender must have easily sold a couple hundred

sets of min-etunes,    where did they all go? a landfill somewhere?      I was just surprised

that you could sell the auto tune on ebay pretty easily.    

No amount of marketing dollars would save the 2015 Gibson's     here's a poor guy
with a 2015 classic with a pretty nice top,  can't even find a taker for $1200

https://nh.craigslist.org/msg/6126955681.html

6 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I was thinking the same thing... Almost like those models "playing" guitar in Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love" video..... At least there were some attractive women to ogle over in that video....

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

yeah, Potsy Weber looked more experienced with a guitar in his hands.

Or one of Ed Roman's bikini "babes".

Archived