Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Fed Ex-ARRRRHHHGGGHHHH!

@#%$ing Fed Ex drives me NUTS! My swirled Cali was shipped on Thursday with a delivery date of today. As I wasn't wanting to risk a chance that it would arrive when we were out running errands, I had the destination changed to my nearby Fed Ex store where I could pick it up at my leisure. It was a tailor-made day for this as the weather was not suited for much else but indoor stuff and I had precious little else on the docket. Or so I thought. I checked the tracking again this morning to see if it was at the Fed Ex store yet and it says it's on the truck and will be delivered Monday. WHAT????

5 phone calls and three barely intelligible (intelligent?) CSReps later, I still have no answer as to why it would've been delivered today had it not been redirected to a store that's barely a mile away from me and 1/2 mile closer to the shipping center, but not now. Quite a few inconsistent statements and head scratching policies. Like the difference between Home Delivery and Ground. One gets there on a Sat. the other doesn't. Apparently when the destination was changed so too was the designation from Home Delivery by Saturday end of day to Ground- delivered by Monday end of day. I can't even go over to the hub station and pick it up because they're closed on Saturdays! WTF?

Upshot? I don't get my Cali until Monday when I won't have the luxury of enough time for reassembling it & reinstalling all the hardware, let alone to play it. Oh sure, I see a UPS truck rumbling through the neighborhood. Bah!

Rant </>

frustration_1.jpg

yep,   fedex is definitely not as easy to work with as ups when it comes to

hold for pickups.    I used to have trouble with Sam Ash,  who would code

their packages so they couldn't be rerouted as hold for p/u...   Once I was so annoyed

told em to return it, which seemed to be the magic words as they let me

come get it on a sunday.    

There were two FedEx trucks on my (very short) street today.  A Saturday.

Yeah, I wouldn't give a fat rat's patootie if this was all clearly spelled out ahead of time but there was some questionable switcheroo-ing that should've been disclosed at the time. Even if it was done online, it would've been reasonable for them to have a pop up alert or some notice to be made prior to changing destination. Had I known that, I wouldn't still be greeted with this sight when I go into the laboratory/ operating bench. I mean, look at that stuff, just begging to be reunited with their old host. Sad.

Bench.jpg

On 6/17/2017 at 5:21 PM, DaveL said:

yep,   fedex is definitely not as easy to work with as ups when it comes to

hold for pickups.    I used to have trouble with Sam Ash,  who would code

their packages so they couldn't be rerouted as hold for p/u...   Once I was so annoyed

told em to return it, which seemed to be the magic words as they let me

come get it on a sunday.    

Reroute/hold for pickup is actually a very common fraud technique.  Here's how it goes:

1). Fraudster has credit card number and home address of ID theft victim and orders product.  Order passes all automated fraud checks because billing and shipping address match.  The only unverified data is a throw-away email.  Fraudster gets tracking number 

2). Just before arrival, package is redirected as hold for pickup.   Fraudster says "forgot my wallet " but can verify the address and show clerk the email with the tracking number.  This is usually enough.   Package is picked up, sold on Craigslist and crook has the cash before the owner of the credit card gets his bill in the mail.  

Because of this, some sellers ship with a no-redirect order specified.  In the scenario above, the cheated ID theft victim is paid and the seller receives a charge back.  They lose their product and a potential sale to whoever bought the stolen item unintentionally 

My latest GC purchase apparently had something similar placed on it when shipped.   I went to the UPS website to change the delivery to have them just hold it at the UPS facility. That option wasn't available...only ''ship to another address'. I'd never seen this before so I called UPS and they confirmed that was specified by the shipper.   However, GC didn't ship with signature required  for delivery,  though...

On 6/18/2017 at 2:55 AM, gtrdaddy said:

Fed Ex Ground is exclusive to commercial addresses. Fed Ex Home Delivery is of course residential and they do Saturdays unlike "Ground." They could do a better job of disclosing this to folks on their website without having to dig for it, or in your case suffer for it...

FedEx Ground is not exclusive to commercial addresses, I owned a route. 

20 hours ago, Thundernotes said:

Reroute/hold for pickup is actually a very common fraud technique.  Here's how it goes:

1). Fraudster has credit card number and home address of ID theft victim and orders product.  Order passes all automated fraud checks because billing and shipping address match.  The only unverified data is a throw-away email.  Fraudster gets tracking number 

2). Just before arrival, package is redirected as hold for pickup.   Fraudster says "forgot my wallet " but can verify the address and show clerk the email with the tracking number.  This is usually enough.   Package is picked up, sold on Craigslist and crook has the cash before the owner of the credit card gets his bill in the mail.  

Because of this, some sellers ship with a no-redirect order specified.  In the scenario above, the cheated ID theft victim is paid and the seller receives a charge back.  They lose their product and a potential sale to whoever bought the stolen item unintentionally 

With that much effort they might as well just go find a job. 

8 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Well that's not what my account rep tells me, AND  if I try to enter FED EX GROUND as shipping method on residential addresses the FED EX system changes it to Fed Ex Home Delivery. The only exception I'm aware of are residential addresses in urban areas on streets with mixed commercial and residential.  At that point, if you're the receiver, you're way better off with Home Delivery because of Saturday deliveries if that's what you need.

FedEx Ground started as Road Package Systems.  It wasn't until years later Home Delivery came around.  The Ground guys did not want to give up their stops, so there was a splitting of residential of sorts. 

I had a 24ft straight truck route and was 99% commercial, but it is because they don't put orders less than 10 boxes onto straight trucks.  If you put ten large boxes onto a regular Ground or Home Delivery truck, say to a home based internet business, their truck would be full for a single stop.   

I broke the top corner off my truck making a home delivery, the delivery paid less than $10, the repair almost $500.  Narrow tree lined streets are not trimmed for such vehicles.  :(

23 hours ago, Dasein said:

update

Assuming you meant an update to the Fed Ex debacle:

The update is not pretty. The package was picked up at the local Fed Ex store Monday night and I brought it home, unboxed the guitar and neck (dissembled) then left it to sit on my work bench operating table until this am. The box had a moderate amount of creasing as if the box had been crushed down a little. Not a lot, just a bit. I inspected the guitar and neck when I opened it but failed to notice a 1/2 inch square chip out of the clear and a tiny sliver of the swirl paint missing. When it was discovered this am, I contacted the painter who pointed out that the box was brand new when he shipped it. I suggested he file a claim/complaint though honestly, I had no desire to have the guitar be out of my hands any longer than the 5 + months it already had and I sure as shit don't want it let go of it for whatever it was insured for. Which turned out to be nothing. Yeah, the painter did not insure it at all.

The good news is I can spot fill with superglue and that'll keep it from getting worse or until such time when I want to get it re-cleared.

Thanks, gtrdaddy!

Much of what you mentioned is already in my data stores given the 4 or 5 guitars I painted by my lonesome. Rattle can shit but the outcomes were pretty darned good for fledgling efforts and I definitely got better as I went. I'm of the opinion in this case, that it's visually insignificant enough and poses no danger of worsening, that I can get away with just sealing it up with superglue.

Should I ever decide to take it to a more pro-looking level, I was advised to then scuff up the clear, and rattle can on some SprayMax 2K urethane,  then I'd go through the various  sandpaper stages and then buff and polish it out.

Cool story, but...

PICS?

Archived