Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ibanez TS~9 "mini" review

I am a ts 9 junkie.

I have my first one I bought back in 82 while stationed at Ft. Hood, Killeen, Tx.

Some years ago It had to be retired due to a long life of use and abuse. Still Have it, on the shelf.

Have tried to find many times to replace. New, used, modded. Nada. They just did not have "it".

Well, until now.

On a whim, as I was building out and populating Pedal board # 4,592....

In front of my old trusty A/DA Flanger I have an exotic EP booster.

Prior, my old TS9 was there to "push" the A/DA into harmonic mayhem on pedal board # 297.

Ponyed up on a mini from chicago music Ex. thru amazon.

Hooked it up today, replacing the EP.

The mini, It is all there what my old one had in it. creamy rich clean OD and then some.

It pushes the old A/DA just like in days of past.

Old TS9 fan? and miss it? Get a mini. Amazing.

As nice as you may think it sounds, if it doesn't have the JRC 4559 op amp, TGP will never accept it!  :lol::lol::lol:

Will definitely check one out.  Thanks for the heads-up!

ETA: rest easy, TGP.  From the Premier Guitar review:

Made in Japan, the Tube Screamer Mini is driven in part by the JRC4558 IC chip found in original TS-9s

Double secret bonus: Made in Japan and JRC 4558!  TGP should have pages of adoration on this one!

And it's so cute!

Ibanez_TubeScreamerMini_WEB-Award.jpg

1 hour ago, velorush said:

TGP should have pages of adoration on this one!

they are just cork sniff'n pissed because of all the $$$$ pedals they have bought and the mini @ $79. puts them to shame.

OK. I took your word for it Jay. Added one to my order at AMS. I've been gassing for a Electro Harmonix C9 organ pedal and AMS has a 4 payment sale going this week. So I am getting the TS-9 mini for 20 bucks a month. Not a bad deal. Thanks for the heads up.

:D

Been playing electric since 1978.

I have never, ever once plugged into a Tube Screamer or a derivative clone thereof.

Played lots of boost, OD, dirt, fuzz, and distortion pedals....just no TS.

I have a feeling I am alone in this club.

Now I want the mini.

53 minutes ago, cynic said:

There are at least two of us.

The thing is, I do not like BF Fender amps. I love the mid-heavy tweeds and Browns and blondes, and they just don't seem to need a mid-humped TS....that said, a local hot shot ran a TS through my 5e3 tweed Deluxe one night at a jam and his LP Deluxe sounded glorious....

Pete explains the use of a TS9 fairly well, using a BF type amp in a SRV kinda way....

But, I defer since I always used a TS9 to push an already pushed Marshall crunch for popping out leads. To my ears, the best.

Got excited when I received a "15% off Storewide" email from Chicago Music Exchange, yesterday!

Went immediately to the site, loaded a TS-9 mini and went to checkout.  Entered the coupon code and received the message "coupon code does not apply to merchandise in your cart."  :mellow:

I DEMAND revision of the sale marketing to state, "15% off Storewide EXCEPT the TS-9 Mini" (!)

I'm spending the weekend with the sole project of finding one discounted somewhere...  Lots of sales going on...  Someone's coupon code has to apply!

1 hour ago, velorush said:

Got excited when I received a "15% off Storewide" email from Chicago Music Exchange, yesterday!

Went immediately to the site, loaded a TS-9 mini and went to checkout.  Entered the coupon code and received the message "coupon code does not apply to merchandise in your cart."  :mellow:

I DEMAND revision of the sale marketing to state, "15% off Storewide EXCEPT the TS-9 Mini" (!)

I'm spending the weekend with the sole project of finding one discounted somewhere...  Lots of sales going on...  Someone's coupon code has to apply!

Shhh!  Don't tell anyone, but when this has happened to me at MF, I've been able to call and they've been able to figure out a way to do the 15% discount.  Maybe it works that way at CME, too, or maybe a competitor can help you out.

29 minutes ago, murkat said:

Some of you bought, any updates?

Got distracted [SQUIRREL!] and forgot.  Looking forward to reviews from those who did stay on task!

On 6/30/2017 at 5:18 PM, Jakeboy said:

Been playing electric since 1978.

I have never, ever once plugged into a Tube Screamer or a derivative clone thereof.

Played lots of boost, OD, dirt, fuzz, and distortion pedals....just no TS.

I have a feeling I am alone in this club.

Now I want the mini.

Nope, I'm in the club as well. I've had real issues dialing in dirt with pedals and have always relied on the amp and my heavy hand. I've been reading on some dirt lately and searching YouTube as well. Pete Thorn has some well thought out demos and one thing he says about the TS is you have to have the amp on the verge of breakup for it to do what you think it should do. Also, Mark Tremonti mentions his settings for the TS in his Rig Rundown video. IIRC he said the setting he uses is what he learned from Dimebag. 

2 hours ago, murkat said:

Some of you bought, any updates?

Update: AMS shipped USPS parcel post instead of Priority Mail.

Probably take another week or so.:(

The cross I must bear for living in The Great Land!

• 2 weeks later...

Not that it matters at this point in the thread, but I scored an AnalogMan TS-9 RI (modded TS-808 specs) this week. Sounds killer with the Astroverb16 set to crunch-stun. 

Now, if I can just find a way to integrate the Fulltone FD-3 I'll be a happy man. I like the TS sound, but I'm trying a new approach with the amp clean/breaking up and OD/dist from boxes. Bubs has three ODs into a clean amp but that is TOO MUCH for me to grok. 

It's getting easier with the FD-3. The hardest part is getting the clean/crunch/OD levels to cooperate. Any suggestions?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Hbom said:

I've been gassing for a Electro Harmonix C9 organ pedal 

Hijack - I subbed a gig and ended up joining a band replacing a keyboardist/guitarist, so I go a C9, its cool. there's live vids on my FB page

I had this old TS9 Sonic Distortion that I wish I never sold. AND I had a PUE5 board, that I stupidly sold. Got paid well for it, but it was cool as hell.

Now I use my old Fulldrive 1 for the Tube Screamer thing. Might check out this mini, if I find one on the cheap. Just for the fun.

Ibanez_PUE_5_tube_2.jpg

Archived