Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What to do? in: Nashville, TN

I'll be in Nashville 7/18-7/22 staying downtown very close to the art museum.  I will of course be visiting Gruhn's and one restaurant I know I'm going to is Puckett's.  Any recommendations for other guitar-related stores or good restaurants/craft breweries?

Carter's music. good, old school feel to the place. Nice toys in there.

Pizza / craft brews, 5 points pizza. East coast pizza, Lots of great brew on tap. Always busy.

(next to 5 points) Boston battered and fried. Fish fry house, I always get the Fried scallops and a fresh pint.

Tofu house (down by my place) REAL Korean BBQ. We eat there all the time as well.

Jalisco Mex rest. REAL Western sea side Mex. CHEAP. Best tamales ever. Dos dark on tap, frikin Ice cold.

Darfon's. local hoytitoytee. Just get the lamb chops. OMG.... the lamb chops. Many beer on tap.

1. If you'd rather play some guitars than visit a guitar museum, skip Gruhn's and (as Jay said) substitute Carter's - they'll dang near force you to play something.  Great, totally unpretentious attitude and they love to talk gear as much as we do here - and they've got it!  Lots of it! 

2. I like (also) Corner Music. Different vibe but more great people and absolutely willing to let you try things out.  Played one of the very first LSL basses ever produced there - it had just come in off the truck and they guy unpacking it handed it to me and said, "here, try this!"  Spectacular! 

Oh, and if you decide to visit Gruhn's and put it in your GPS, don't do the thing I did on first visit to the new(ish) location and drive right by it.  Yes, Gruhn's guitars actually is in that big, nondescript, white office building. It definitely doesn't look like it, but it's in there.  It's the door to the right, right off the parking lot.  Completely different look / feel / attitude from the old Broadway store.

3. NTL Guitar in the Nashboro area past the airport.  By appointment only, the proprietor is an excellent host with many interesting projects in process and many interesting animals. :)

4. On Puckett's grocery, there's Puckett's downtown and Puckett's Franklin.  Been to the downtown location and it's a'ight, but if you're looking to bump into famous people, (as is the typical attraction to Puckett's), I hear the Franklin location is a far more likely spot.  If you go, definitely save room for the deep fried brownie topped with ice cream and candied bacon.  On second thought, skip the rest and get two of those! 

Thanks for the tips so far!  Keep 'em coming!

The last time I was in Nashville was 10+ years ago, and if I remember correctly Gruhn's was on the end of that little tourist-y strip.  I think you could park behind it.  I take it that was the "old" location?

I'll definitely check out Carter's, and I had already checked out Puckett's menu and decided on the fried brownie sundae for dessert!  I have a ridiculous sweet tooth and pretty much pick my dessert first and then my entree when I go out to eat.

Yep, Gruhn's was on Broadway and now both Gruhn's and Carter's are on 8th Ave. S. There's a popular meat-and-three cafeteria next door to Carter's

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt I'll be playing anything in any guitar shop I go to.  I'm fully aware that there's:

1,352 guitar pickers in Nashville

and any one that unpacks his case can pick twice as better than I will!

Acme Feed & Seed ..   great food.   My buddy Matt Farley is the head chef there. If his band, The Matt Farley Project is playing in town, try to catch them too.  He's a great singer/song writer and multi instrumentalist as well.

have a great trip !

I have not been to the one in Nashville but Husk in Charleston was a fantastic meal, reservations more than likely needed though.

Archived