Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is anyone happy with their POD distortion?

Whether you are modeling it or through an amp, do you use any of the distortions? It seems most use a stomp box distortion and use the PODs for the other FX. If you use the Line6 distortions, what are your preferences? If not, what is your chain like? I suppose this could also be a Helix thread. 

Back when I was gigging a POD weekly, a I liked the edge of clean-edge of dirt tone...and the cleans...especially the AC30 model clean.

The distortion left much to be desired. Too compressed and not responsive dynamically like a smoking tube amp is.

The tweed Deluxe model was the exception. That one just ripped and felt just right. In fact, I bought a Lil Dawg 5e3 tweed Deluxe as a result.

The Marshall Bluesbreaker was ok....the Plexi was just awful.

First of all, I'm a massive gain-head. I don't play a lot of medium or low gain sounds. 

I have an HD500X and I'm pretty happy with the sounds. I don't use any external pedals (except for looping).  I use it to go direct to the board and to some full range monitors when needed. 

The distortions on Helix are all pretty good.  I'm not a big fuzz guy, but they're convincing enough for me to get a stoner rock vibe going.  My go-to is normally a tube screamer in front of a plexi or 800-style Marshall.

On the HD500 I think I may have switched to using a mid boost EQ with the level cranked to emulate a really flexible tube screamer.

On the 2.0 I just used the modern higain model with the delay effect and solo'd until everyone left the room.  Then I kept soloing, so it must have been doing something for me. ;)

I use the HD500, I din't use heavy drive at all and I really had to spend some time tweakin' until the drive felt right, same with the fuzz. The amp drives can sound fantastic and be very responsive with some dialing. I think they do over-the-top pretty well, but subtle-ty isn't what their bank their reputation on ;)

13 hours ago, anotherfreak said:

I use the HD500, I din't use heavy drive at all and I really had to spend some time tweakin' until the drive felt right, same with the fuzz. The amp drives can sound fantastic and be very responsive with some dialing. I think they do over-the-top pretty well, but subtle-ty isn't what their bank their reputation on ;)

I used the "Tube Preamp" on the HD500 for my Screamer.  It was the advice of a friend that used all Line 6 gear including the Variax.  I have found that with enough tweaking the HD500 is a pretty cool piece of hardware.  The Helix is a game changer.

30 minutes ago, burningyen said:

I'm very happy with the dirtboxes in the Helix. The ones I use the most are the Big Muff, the Tube Driver, the OCD and the Klon, but I also really like the Fuzz Face.

With the new Helix, are they using real names now? If not, what are their code names for your list? I think in the past they called the Big Muss Pi or something like that. But I don't know the rest. 

18 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

With the new Helix, are they using real names now? If not, what are their code names for your list? I think in the past they called the Big Muss Pi or something like that. But I don't know the rest. 

Triangle Fuzz = Big Muff

Valve Driver = Tube Driver

Compulsive Drive = OCD

Minotaur = Klon

Arbitrator Fuzz = Fuzz Face

The FX lists out there are out of date, since L6 keeps adding new FX, but this is a start:

http://line6.com/support/topic/14914-helix-amps-cabs-mics-and-effects/

Just now, burningyen said:

Triangle Fuzz = Big Muff

Valve Driver = Tube Driver

Compulsive Drive = OCD

Minotaur = Klon

Arbitrator Fuzz = Fuzz Face

The FX lists out there are out of date, since L6 keeps adding new FX, but this is a start:

http://line6.com/support/topic/14914-helix-amps-cabs-mics-and-effects/

Cool. Thanks. I knew there was a list out there somewhere. 

9 hours ago, burningyen said:

For this clip from last night I ran the Helix's Tube Driver into the Muff:

Anything else in the chain, amp, cab, reverb, delay? I updated my POD HD Pro X and the Pro X Editor yesterday. Talk about something that will take all the inspiration away.  I didn't feel like playing at all after that headache. Hopefully today I can delve into it. Got some other cool stuff that landed on my porch to check out too. Cool video, burningyen. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Anything else in the chain, amp, cab, reverb, delay? I updated my POD HD Pro X and the Pro X Editor yesterday. Talk about something that will take all the inspiration away.  I didn't feel like playing at all after that headache. Hopefully today I can delve into it. Got some other cool stuff that landed on my porch to check out too. Cool video, burningyen. Thanks.

Yeah, after the dirtboxes I had: Hiwatt amp->AC30 cab and Leslie in parallel->EQ->Cave reverb.

Archived