Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So much for Photobucket

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...maybe if I pay it will be a better site?   No...it will still harass everyone who clicks on your pic.

For those of us that use base "Free" service, those days are coming to an end. I cannot wrap my head around paying for every service out there, like Itunes, Photobucket, Paypal, Ebay, Hulu, ect it would nickle and dime you to death. More like $20 and $50 you to the poor house.     

12 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

For those of us that use base "Free" service, those days are coming to an end. I cannot wrap my head around paying for every service out there, like Itunes, Photobucket, Paypal, Ebay, Hulu, ect it would nickle and dime you to death. More like $20 and $50 you to the poor house.     

Totally agree.  

I already pay for a website domain with all the storage that I could need, so paying for a site like Photobucket (ignoring for the moment that it STINKS) makes zero sense to me.  

Well a-slap-a-my-thigh! No surprise there; I'll just host my pics on my own domain servers...

imgur.com I started migrating a while back but never finish. Now that I have everything down to being manageable I may have to finish. LOL I don't have any of this stuff anymore except the amp out of the black combo. 

I may be wrong, but I think that the IMGUR terms of service also prohibit or restrict the "third party hosting", so it may only be a temporary fix until they follow the PB lead.

Yep-I'm out.  Fortunately sites like this one direct link from my stuff.  I don't need TGP or MLP Forum for anything much anyway.

Will existing linked pics still work? That could be devastating to anything already linked, like to most of what folks post here....

2 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Of course nothing is ever really free.  My perception is that the services that don't charge users are being paid for mainly either by selling ads or by selling info that you provide about yourself via your use of the service, or by investors with the expectation of selling one and/or the other in the future.  Ads are apparent to everyone, but I expect some people will be surprised in the future by uses that information is put to.  Facebook is a great example of both.

I expect advertiser support to dwindle going forward.  They're getting smarter about how to put their ads in front of real potential customers, instead of broadcasting to the masses, most of whom are not prospects.  And the use of ad blocking software means some of the ads aren't getting through at all.  Why would an advertiser pay for that?  But someone has to.  We've had a good run as people have tried to figure out business models for internet services, but in the end everything costs money, whether there's a profit motive or not.  Someone has to pay, and users are the first option.  As a user, I will say that having someone else pay also has its downsides for me - ads take time to load and use up bandwidth and computer resources, and I'm usually not happy about my info going goodness knows where to be put to goodness knows what use.

The economics theory I studied in college predicts that the most demand happens when the price is the lowest.  I'll certainly do my part with moving the invisible hand and quit some of the services I use that aren't worth more than the zero I pay for them when they start charging me directly.  That might have some interesting effects - some services might listen harder to users about what they want (and don't want) than they do when they aren't taking money directly from them.

6 hours ago, kizanski said:

Totally agree.  

I already pay for a website domain with all the storage that I could need, so paying for a site like Photobucket (ignoring for the moment that it STINKS) makes zero sense to me.  

Like a fool, I let my domain drop a few years ago thinking free services like Photobucket and Facebook (which I'm not on any longer) could handle all my hosting. 

3 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Will existing linked pics still work? That could be devastating to anything already linked, like to most of what folks post here....

Nope. Check the gold sparkle tele body FS post to see what you get now. They're obviously hoping you're devastated so you'll pony up to $300 a year for your links to work. 

Looks like it's still working. But PBs new Plus plans start at 50gigs and I've been paying for 20gigs but using < 1/3 of that.

So I guess I better start looking for something different.

Imgur? Flicker? anybody else worth trying?

I can offer you guys a picture hosting service. And, of course, it would be free. If you are interested I'll install the software on my servers. No ads. etc. Just a thought. 

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I deleted all of my content from Photofucket and then deleted my account. It was really quite unbearable.

Posting on here is pretty much the only thing I use it for, so...

Well they just totally f#**ked the Wyldbill thread.   I was using it to build my video history of the travels.  I had already downloaded the photos, but it is now harder to track the order of the posts and the travels of the guitar.   Plus it killed the ability to re-read that thread and see all of the pictures.

Services come and go. It looks like PB jumped on the go side.

45 minutes ago, velorush said:

I'm seeing every photo in the Wildbil thread. Temporary glitch?

Not everyone in the thread used photobucket but some pages are worse than others.  I was going through it page by page building the video.  I hit a bad page.

Some are worse than others.   

Some over on that thread are so old the op has deleted them.

I see linked shots are still working although I have not tried to load a new shot to photobucket. I have read the new terms of service but have not signed up for anything new either and rarely sell anything using my photos.

I've (quickly) scrolled through every page of the thread.  The only instance of "Please Update Your Account..." show up in Django's posts beginning at 3 August 2015.

There are a few instances where it appears users have posted photos directly into the thread and those have disappeared: JeffR's 21 Nov 2014 post on page 16, also, MudShark's 13 July 2015 post reflects only the URL for each (though that may be because of the way the links were posted rather than Photobucket)

That's good.  I didn't keep going  through the thread. Got frustrated seeing the missing links and my time was up for this morning.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:27 AM, bubs_42 said:

imgur.com I started migrating a while back but never finish. Now that I have everything down to being manageable I may have to finish. LOL I don't have any of this stuff anymore except the amp out of the black combo. 

You didn't get rid of the SG Junior, did you?

4 hours ago, mathman said:

That's good.  I didn't keep going  through the thread. Got frustrated seeing the missing links and my time was up for this morning.

It could be beneficial to (somehow) archive the thread.  

I had a FS thread from last year on a guitar I sold but have yet (over a year later) to receive payment on.  In anticipation of having to again post the guitar for sale, I tried to last week to archive the thread using Firefox' File > Save As function - that saved the text and formatting but not the photos.  There is surely a way to archive a web page that would include the photos.  

I do recall a function in MS Frontpage (an old MS website building program).  I have an old copy of that around at the house (if I haven't thrown it out).  I might give that a whirl.  My only concern is that Frontpage would create a larger mess than not having it all (that was around the time MS was attempting to tweak XML into a proprietary markup and thereby corner the internet).

Archived