Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Loving my new shop demo tool

I recently became a TV Jones dealer and I needed to quickly throw together a host/dummy for a set of TV Classics for shop demos. Since I love my workhorse Allparts tele-mutt of 12 years, I went in the same vein - a homebrew Cabronita. AP didn't have a classic Gretsch transparent orange, so I went with their candy apple orange. The neck is a vintage tint beefy contour 22-fretter with a 12" radius and railroad ties for frets. The bridge is from TVJ too, pre-cut for a Filtertron footprint.

Let's just say this ain't no dummy, my friends. I just finished it yesterday and I cannot put it down. Man, what a resonant player and what versatility and just KILLER tones and colors no matter what I ask it to do. The challenge now is going to be not selling the dummy hosting the TV Classics.

Onset:

19060034_1703346226634221_33112062473533

End result:

TVTHFC.jpg

Demo coming soon, I promise. This thing sounds too good to stop short with just still photography. But in the meantime ...

TVTHFC2.jpg

TVTHFC3.jpg

TVTHFC4.jpg

I've got a question or two about TV Jones wiring and stuff, Jeffro.  You KNOW I'm a huge fan! ;)

Wow! That's pretty much a sustain block tele bridge. Must sustain endlessly.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I've got a question or two about TV Jones wiring and stuff, Jeffro.  You KNOW I'm a huge fan! ;)

I am really, really enjoying these pickups (in this case, direct mounted into alder, 500K pots with a .022 cap and a stock tele blade btw). VERY versatile and unbelievably touch and guitar controls sensitive, and tasteful in every application I can throw at them, even Boogie halfstack high gain apps. My favorite sound out of this guitar so far is the Boogie's clean channel with a BB Preamp pedal set somewhere akin to a dirty boost/mellow TS overdrive. That is the sound I can't wait to do a demo video with. I told Vonnie last night after playing the guitar pretty much all day (a rarity for me nowadays) that I would have played the shit out of this guitar during my variety covers bar band gig days, and if I could only have one electric guitar to do and/or damn good justice to every tone under the sun I'd want or need to produce, it would have TV Classics in it. I'm that impressed.

7 hours ago, gorch said:

Wow! That's pretty much a sustain block tele bridge. Must sustain endlessly.

The Savales bridge was ordered from TVJ to keep the presentation super clean and stock factory looking mostly. Bridge is well made and just holding it uninstalled, it just feels right from a weight and mass standpoint - not a featherweight but not too heavy. I like the idea that the pickup is not mounted to the plate - it sits atop and around the direct mounted pickup. My only gripe with it so far is that the saddle intonation screws sit over the string-thru holes and I can tell re-stringing is going to be a little more of a pain in the ass than usual, getting the wound strings through the saddles with those screws in the way. I also broke a high "E" string at the plate break angle during initial set-up. That tells me there's likely some burring on the chrome plating at that string-thru hole. Nothing a conical grinder bit on a Dremel can't fix next time I change strings.

Saddle screw and plate hole issue(s) aside, would I order this bridge again? In a heartbeat.

Finish looks awesome! Did you do it yourself, or you bought the body like that? Looks really sharp!

9 minutes ago, sonic1974 said:

Finish looks awesome! Did you do it yourself, or you bought the body like that? Looks really sharp!

That's a buy-it-finished body from Allparts. They call that "candy apple orange." Their stuff is stellar and cannot be beat for the price. Their bodies and neck are MIJ, by very reputable manufacturers who I am privvy to but won't name publicly. The wood selection, fit and finish, fretwork on the necks straight out of the box, all just exceptional.

Just now, Jeff R said:

That's a buy-it-finished body from Allparts. They call that "candy apple orange." Their stuff is stellar and cannot be beat for the price. Their bodies and neck are MIJ, by very reputable manufacturers who I am privvy to but won't name publicly. The wood selection, fit and finish, fretwork on the necks straight out of the box, all just exceptional.

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Hmm....maybe I should look at putting together something for myself.

I absolutely dig the Rumpeltronst in my Artist...and putting the Les Trem 2  on there took it over the top.

Filtertrons have  an incredible edge of breakup tone and sound great with more gain. I find the neck pickup about perfect for slide....

That candy orange Tele looks as hot as I am sure it sounds. Congrats on a great build.

Archived