Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hall & Oates

Date Night Concert and she paid so bonus!

In high school there was a juke box in the school cafeteria, which songs like "Rich Girl" "Sarah Smile" and other permissible pop songs from the mid to late 70's permeated beyond the smell of processed foods and poor hygiene. 

Thanks to cable television and HBO, the Statue of Liberty being refurbished there was a "live" concert by Hall & Oates.  If memory serves correct Dodge/Chrysler were big contributors.  The first part of the show as shots of the crowd walking, David Lee Roth arriving on a private helicopter to see Hall & Oates (or be seen) and etc.  The Hall and Oates HBO Special is probably one of the best live performances, I had ever seen on television.   Your girlfriend at the time knew the songs, which meant you knew the songs.  

I wasn't reliving my youth or walking down nostalgia lane.  I had friends who had seen Hall & Oates in concert live, thought they were great performers and made the suggestion as a date night concert.  Doesn't hurt that "Live @ Daryl's House" is something I happen to like, his band on the show is T I G H T, Daryl being a fan of the guys in Cheap Trick and last but very important to note Daryl owns a Vintage Mandocello.  Gotta like a guy who owns a four digit Hamer.

The Review

Opening Act - Allen Stone
White guy from Washington who is channeling Stevie Wonder, along with the dreadlocks of Eddie Grant, guitar with lots of loops and effects.  Three song set and I understood why Hall & Oates would have him on - blue eyed soul. Not something I would listen to nor would I be able to fini..

Tears For Fears
There is no one on the planet who would not know at least one song from the Album "Songs From the Big Chair". Lots of sing-a-longs.  The guys have lost most of their high notes and falsetto tones, therefore the crowd participation was highly appreciated.  Unlike the ex-stripper girls that do the pole dances at everyone of their damn concerts in front of you blocking your view, the women at this show stick both arms up in the air, wave and shimmy.   Cute but their deodorant is starting to wear thin even in an air conditioned venue.

Lead guitarist (don't know his name) did a a good job.  Lots of synth and...OK you get the idea.  Not a band I would have paid to see as a headliner but their set was enjoyable. 

Hall & Oates
I had told my wife to buy the 3rd row lower balcony tickets that said "Headliner View Only" as there probably was stage lights or other equipment that was set up for Tears for Fears which more than likely would be removed.  I was correct and we were closer to the stage than the first two rows on the floor which paid big bucks to be there.

First impression, DAMN John Oates is not a very tall fellow.  He would be shorter than Steve Stevens or Tommy Shaw. 

Second impression, the band is tight.  There were some microphone issues at times.  Daryl didn't like his monitor and ear settings a couple of times but a solid, solid show.  Not surprisingly, I knew most of the songs. 

Daryl Hall
Solid Performer
When did Daryl Hall become Rick Nielsen? Changed guitars for almost every single song.  I saw lots of capos. 
Great voice and stage presence. 

John Oates
Vintage Fender most of the night. Good backing vocals, Johns playing was restrained and enjoyable.

Shane Theriot and band
Very good job overall.
Hamer Studio Custom sighting - used for one song otherwise sat on the guitar stand  the rest of the night.
Leads were clean and tonality was very good
Bass and Drums were steady.  No pressure here to over perform.  Backing vocals were spot on.  Lots of saxophone in their set.

Summary
A perfect date night concert that you can enjoy the lead guitarists playing. 

Basically a greatest hits show minus no "Adult Education" which is a personal fave.  The one song I wanted to see live and oh well you know how that goes. While watching them perform I couldn't help but think about G.E. Smith and Tom "T-bone" Wolk.  Damn...OK, so I did get a little nostalgic.

Hamerica

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I like your observations of the show.  Hall and Oates were one of the bands I half-liked in the early days, but I got to see them when they were at their peak.  Live At Daryl's House has made me think of them differently. 

Thank you sir and wholeheartedly agree.

1 hour ago, DBraz said:

Great review thanks for sharing.

I am a fan of Hall & Oates and Tears For Fears.  What a great night that must have been.  You have a good wife!

Thank you sir!   Love my wife and yes she is very good to me.  As Dave Ramsey says, "better than I deserve."

Hamerica

Archived