Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Odd Intonation Problem on Wraptail Studio

Michael_B

Question

Lately, I've been more discombobulated than usual.  So, likely the problem is with me and my muddled thinking.  

I'm having intonation problems with a blue Studio with a wraptail.  It came with a Wilkinson style wraptail bridge with an adjustment feature for the 2nd & 3rd strings (I don't know if that's original).

The problem that I'm having is with the 6th string.  With the adjustment screw about where you'd expect it to be, it's 20 cents sharp.  I can make relatively small adjustments to the screw to it, to get it 15 cents sharp.  From there, I can't seem to get it below 10 cents sharp, regardless of how extreme the adjustments to the fairly long screw.  It seems to defy physics.

I've tried three different tuners and while the precise amounts differ somewhat, the phenomenon is the same.

Any suggestions for what I'm overlooking?

8 answers to this question

Also check the nut to make sure it isn't worn and making good contact. If the string is making contact at the middle of the nut slot, you'll never have good intonation on that string.

Thanks for the reply.  The nut definitely cut for a heavier gauge.  I had no idea that could affect intonation.  Also, it's stringed with those that came with it.  I'll try a new, heavier set.

Thanks.

Last time I had a problem intonating a guitar on one string I took it to a tech, like a dummy:o First thing he did was replace the string that wouldn't intonate and voila, problem solved

arniez

I'd go for another string too. It can make so much if a difference.

For the stupid. It doesn't let you go below 10 cents to prevent you sounding like pussy as intonation  is said to be for. Studios have this safety belt built in. B)

On 7/13/2017 at 7:05 PM, kizanski said:

Or just a different string. 

Yours could be a dud.  

On 7/14/2017 at 4:32 AM, ArnieZ said:

Last time I had a problem intonating a guitar on one string I took it to a tech, like a dummy:o First thing he did was replace the string that wouldn't intonate and voila, problem solved

arniez

On 7/14/2017 at 5:12 AM, gorch said:

I'd go for another string too. It can make so much if a difference.

For the stupid. It doesn't let you go below 10 cents to prevent you sounding like pussy as intonation  is said to be for. Studios have this safety belt built in. B)

I replaced the strings and it intonates well enough to sound good, but not like a pussy.  Thanks for the advice.  

On 13/07/2017 at 7:15 PM, Michael_B said:

I'm having intonation problems with a blue Studio with a wraptail.  It came with a Wilkinson style wraptail bridge with an adjustment feature for the 2nd & 3rd strings (I don't know if that's original).

Yup that's the original.  It can be just a bit of a tedious thing to set up.  Well ok, take valium before starting.  All good suggestions above. strings, nut cut, saddle cut if somebody did that on the bridge OR pay $30 or $40 to a good tech and let him/her figure it out.

Archived