Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 1981 Hamer Standard

Re-topped and refinished four digit for that price?  I just don't see it.  That's like the guy who has 30K in restoring a muscle car that's worth 25K.  He keeps it or he dumps it for a loss.

Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful! 

I'd say keep it in the zoo so everybody can watch it. It's very nice! Although there won't be any new and refurbishing is not for free, the price is pretty high on this one.

This threads stimulate playing Standards. I had my red wine Mahogany out yesterday. Reminded me how wonderful it plays and sounds. Standards definitely rule.

There's a "right guy" born every minute!   :D

3 hours ago, ptm1diver said:

Why spend that kind of money when you can get one of the new Hamer standards, which are just as good for so much less.  

🤠

Because it is bad ass. That is why. I love it.

19 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Because it is bad ass. That is why. I love it.

You love wood?   Well there are places, where you can get a piece of bad ass just as long as you have the right wood.  Sorry, I don't personally know of any such places.   😎

5 hours ago, stratacus said:

Mahogany greatness! Very nice this one.  

Jeepers Miss Landers while you were butchering it up anyway why not put a cheap wraptail on it

SUE-Randall-Beaver.jpg

or one of those Hipshot boiled egg slicer tails.

babygrandchrome.jpg

or really tramp it up with a big ol' gold Bigsby (yeee haww sold separately just pay an additional S&H fee).  Oh Miss Landers come on now. Don't give us that innocent babe in the woods schtick, you know exactly what "trampin' it up" means.Sue-randall.jpg

trem_b7_l.jpg

What the hell!  "Repairing" genuine bar band weekend warrior player wear and aroma with a new top?  That is blasphemy mate.  You should be hung from the highest yard arms in the British invasion!  

btw-what is a yard arm?  dats a lotta rope, ain'a hey Stosh? HO LEE Ca-ripes, ya sure got dat right Stubs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpuWyQZDhvp9otVN-Lw16

On 17/07/2017 at 7:32 AM, ptm1diver said:

Why spend that kind of money when you can get one of the new Hamer standards, which are just as good for so much less.  

🤠

Is there a Hamer Company out there making new Hamers?   set yer 3D printer to flame maple

Cheers from Royal Birkdale Links on the bonnie dunes of the Irish Sea!  Oh my aching Schwartzel.

caddie - alas w/o a loop for The Open

On 15/07/2017 at 3:00 AM, gorch said:

I'd say keep it in the zoo so everybody can watch it. It's very nice! Although there won't be any new and refurbishing is not for free, the price is pretty high on this one.

The monkeys will throw their shit at it in disapproval of the retop.

The retop is totally fine.  

Charging the same as an all original example for a de-Kahlered, refinished, retopped, swapped parts, etc. instrument (note that I'm not saying all of that is present with this particular guitar) will likely have poo flung.

If you have a '53 Goldtop that had been altered for a Kauffman Vibrola or stop/tunamatic added, then you retopped it with flame maple, refinished it, had Tom Murphy age it, reset the neck angle to a late '50s pitch, swapped the P-90s for aftermarket PAFs and replaced original hardware and plastics with repro vintage-accurate parts...and then ask $400k for it, would you:

a.  Honestly believe you could sell it for the same price as an unaltered, all original '59 Les Paul; or

b. Expect to dodge flung poo from people who have half a brain?

:D

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

The retop is totally fine.  

Charging the same as an all original example for a de-Kahlered, refinished, retopped, swapped parts, etc. instrument (note that I'm not saying all of that is present with this particular guitar) will likely have poo flung.

If you have a '53 Goldtop that had been altered for a Kauffman Vibrola or stop/tunamatic added, then you retopped it with flame maple, refinished it, had Tom Murphy age it, reset the neck angle to a late '50s pitch, swapped the P-90s for aftermarket PAFs and replaced original hardware and plastics with repro vintage-accurate parts...and then ask $400k for it, would you:

a.  Honestly believe you could sell it for the same price as an unaltered, all original '59 Les Paul; or

b. Expect to dodge flung poo from people who have half a brain?

:D

Hey matthes,  that half a brain thing cuts a little close to the bone er... cranium.  btw, their must be a Russian connection on McCain's brain tumor.  Somebody is not telling the straight, unfiltered truth. I call for a Senate investigation, a Congressional investigation, a DHHS investigation and a special prosecutor. That oughta cost about $28M.  That's equals about (16) 4-dig Standards, (1) Eclipse 12 string in flip-flop green and a 3 hole Duotone. Loose change, some Hamer swag.

On 14/07/2017 at 4:06 PM, The Shark said:

Re-topped and refinished four digit for that price?  I just don't see it.  That's like the guy who has 30K in restoring a muscle car that's worth 25K.  He keeps it or he dumps it for a loss.

Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful! 

He keeps it or he dumps it for a loss.  I just don't see it.  

We have very short memories don't we?  Have we forgotten the IMPROV Hamer_Improv_body.jpg

5 hours ago, Caddie said:

He keeps it or he dumps it for a loss.  I just don't see it.  

I've seen it many times.  People "restore" something deemed collectible and believe they'll get  what they have in it out of it.  Or, as in this case, it's worth what an original example is worth.  Restored cars may pull all the money that an original example does, but eclipsing market value to restore is a big no no.  That's how you go out of business. 

On 7/17/2017 at 7:32 AM, ptm1diver said:

🤠

Where can you get a NEW Hamer Standard?  This is an honest question, please provide me with a link or something as I am VERY interested. -G

On 7/16/2017 at 10:14 PM, srvwannab said:

So... what is the fair price consensus??

A WHOLE lot LESS!  In my opinion they are crazy. Just a post to show it off, Definitely  not a go buy this type of post. -G

I may be in the minority here, but setting aside how gorgeous that Standard is, I love that it was restored (even modified) by the factory.
I probably wouldn't pay more than 5 grand for it, but I would do so gladly if I had the cash.
A 4 digit restored and repaired by Mike Shishkov? Yes, please.

Archived