Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40 - Quickie Review

Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 

750-GM40H_detail4.jpg

Hughes_And_Kettner_GrandMeister_Deluxe40_3.jpg

Just picked up one of these new heads. 40 watts, 4xEL84 all tube, 4-channels, All-analog signal path, but with built-in digital effects, Programmable w/128 presets, power scaling, XLR cab-emulated out, EFX loop, Noise-gate and a Boost! Whew, I know that sounds way too good to be true right? Well, let the games begin.

As soon as I plug into any amp, I go to the Crunch tone. That's where I live. It has to have a killer Crunch tone that I want to play all night. It has to be big, bold, articulate, comfortable and guitar-volume knob friendly. There are a few chords that make or break an amp for me. An open E that has a tight bottom and a top string bite. Well, this amp does that perfectly. Check that box. So, onward to check out the other tones. 

The clean channel is fat, big and bold, plenty loud for a band. Check off 2 boxes. Channel 2 is the Crunch. You can go from slightly Overdriven to Heavy with ease. It sounds way too big for it's size. How can an amp that weighs about 17 lbs, sound so big? Amps usually require huge power and output transformers to get that big tone (My Goldfinger head weighs about 60lbs). This things sounds just as big though the Goldfinger 2x12 oversize cab. It shouldn't, but it does. I knew this amp is a keeper. (At least for a week or two - haha)

Channel 3 is the Lead channel, which goes from a Crunch to Metal. Works for either Heavy Rhythm or Lead duties. Channel 4 is called Ultra. Metal heads will die for that chugga-chugga, de-tuned tone you can get. Nice Lead tone to a super-saturated Satriani or Santana singing lead tone.

AND, you get a Boost as a bonus. Works on every channel and perfect for just pushing it out front for solos as needed. 

Overall, I would say it definitely has a British Marshall 18-watt type sound with the EL84s in the power section, so that makes me happy. With the optional footswitch, you can preset 128 settings with all front panel controls. Killer for my cover-band. You can also program into your patches the EFX loop on/off. Can't wait to start programming the presets (The footswitch is on it's way). Plus, having the XLR Cab output will make my setup easier. (I do sound for my band) The Redbox output has 4 settings for Vintage/Mod and Small/Large. 

The front-panel EFX programming is simple, Even for an idiot like me. I didn't have to open the manual to figure it out in 2 min. It can also be programmed by an iPad, which is cool. OK, I swapped out the factory no-name EL84's for some better JJ's and threw in NOS pre-amp tubes I had. Yes, it made a difference. But, not a game-changing difference. Worth it, yeah. 

Two gripes. The LED lit blue front panel is a bit much. You can't miss it, that's for sure. I wish there was a way to dim it or turn it off. (I may have to open the damn manual to see if there is a setting for that.) And two, getting to the tubes is a pain-in-the-ass. You have to pretty much take the front off and unscrews all the side panels, then, be careful not to break the wire to the LED plexiglass light. Sure, you don't have to do that very often, but it would be easier if the back or front just un-screwed to get access. The Plexi front panel fits into the sides which is why you have to loosen them too.

Is it the holy grain... of course not, but all I can say is, try one, check it out, you'll be surprised like I was and it just might make your life easier for gigging like it will for me.

Thx,
Ernie

Update:

I had this old MIDI pedal lying around. A Tech21 MidiMoose. It works! Now, I can get 5 presets instantly and Up/down to all 128. Having 5 MIDI switches is cool as I don't have to use amp channels 1-4 (Clean, Crunch, Lead, Ultra)

I can now have: 1) Clean with low gain, 2) Clean with high gain, 3) Crunch with med gain, 4) Crunch with high gain 5) Ultra Channel with High gain. Nice! It's worth it to keep the old stuff, it comes back around!

Lastly, the patch changes are seemless. No switching noise or dropout in signal. That's awesome.

MM.jpg

On 2017-07-15 at 9:48 AM, santellavision said:

The LED lit blue front panel is a bit much. You can't miss it, that's for sure. I wish there was a way to dim it or turn it off. (I may have to open the damn manual to see if there is a setting for that.)  

....be careful not to break the wire to the LED plexiglass light.

Sounds like problem solved ;)

Great review. Thank you!

I've played the Tube meister 18 and 36 and thought they sounded great.

enjoy!

Have a tubemeister 18, great amp! H&K hit it out of the park.

No word of a lie, played a small gig and at 1 watt through a 2X12 mesa cab, was asked to turn down. Loud on stage, twice as loud through the front!

The blue light is too cool to get rid of for me!

Nice! I will admit that the Midi Control stuff scares me, but it seems like the amp implementation is usually pretty straight forward.

I DO like the blue glow, but hard to access tubes is never fun. I wonder how easy the amp is to work on.

• 1 month later...

Update!!

Now, that the honeymoon stage is over, I still really like the amp. I've added a new MIDI switcher which is great. I picked-up a used Rocktron MIDI Raider. It's a 16 button foot-switch that works nicely with the Grandmeister head.

http://www.rocktron.com/midi-raider.html

What I like is, it has 5 MIDI buttons on the bottom row for easy preset changes. Then, I can preset up to 16 tones on the amp. (You get 128 total presets, but 16 per page at one time) I just set it up  to have 5 basic tones which is like having 5 channels. Then, I can preset some delays, chorus, tremolo etc. on other buttons. Remember, this is all inside the amp. It has built-in delays, chorus, tremolo etc internally without pedals. So, you can really run just the amp by itself for plenty of power. In fact, I have small gig next week, where I am just bringing a tuner! For more options, I run my pedalboard through the EFX loop which also switches in/out with program changes. 

Plus, you get an LCD with your preset names. It's also nice to be able to hit a preset and turn on/off the EFX loop too (The head can be programmed to do all that. All the amp presets are analog with seamless digital patch changes.)

I haven't gotten into adding Continuous Controller pedals etc. yet, but you can add those too for changing delay/tremolo/chorus times etc. This rig is really working nicely for me as I play in cover band and can go from Van Morrison to Van Halen!

MIDI.jpg

Archived