Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Finish issue on my Strat's neck

Hfan

Question

This 2013 62 Hot Rod Strat has been in it's case for a few years and has very little playing time on it. Today I noticed this area on the side of the neck on the rosewood that has missing clear finish. The finish goes from the maple to the side of the fingerboard. It does not seem to be actively flaking or peeling and I can't really feel it so it's only cosmetic it seems. Would a little clear nail polish work? It's supposedly Fender's version of nitro. I may just ignore it but if there is an easy fix I'll try it. Thanks.

P1010146.JPG

P1010149.JPG

10 answers to this question

That is perfectly natural and will pose no concerns....................just normal wear flaking of the clear coat from use I have had it on many Fenders and others as well.......................here, this was my old 62 Reissue Fender Stratocaster in CAR............it had a BIT of wear;) and played and sounded incredible.2cigrr7.jpg When you get to this point your not going to notice it at all.:)

^^^ love it. My issue is the problem with a minty guitar..the first ding hurts ha ha. Also, I'm in downsize mode and have 3 Strats (this one and 2 Am Stds) and a G&L Legacy, was considering maybe selling this one.

5 hours ago, Hfan said:

^^^ love it. My issue is the problem with a minty guitar..the first ding hurts ha ha. Also, I'm in downsize mode and have 3 Strats (this one and 2 Am Stds) and a G&L Legacy, was considering maybe selling this one.

'62 Hot Rod Strats are usually easy sells. If it wasn't the absolute worst time I'd already would have made an offer on it. 😄

that stinks, hot rod strats are cool axes,,,    one other option would be to get

some 800-1500 grit sandpaper and smooth it out so it can't be felt...  (and

maybe some meguiars polish after) it also may also help blend it visually.  

If you add something,  you never know it could end up leaving a bump that

you'll feel every time...   

I can't feel it at all, it looks worse in the pictures, in real life it's hard to even notice. I'm probably going to put it on Reverb anyway, it deserves to be played and I need to raise funds. I'm either downsizing or adding a nice acoustic I have my eyes on.

Best to let a pro take care of it. Any repairman worth his salt can make that disappear relatively easily. 

If you're going to sell it, chances are it won't come up as an issue with the sale. Unless the buyer is super picky, and unrealistic...

I would get one of those nitro pens from reranch, and just drop fill. Then you can scrape it down a little and buff it out.

However, if it happened one place it can probably happen others.

This has reminded me that i have a chip I'm supposed to be drop filling on like 5 of my guitars. ME SO LAZY.

If it isn't affecting playability, I'd leave it alone.  Just a 'character mark.'

Trying a home fix might actually hurt the value of it if not done flawlessly.

A pro fix would likely cost more than the difference in resale anyway.

If I were interested in buying the guitar, I wouldn't even point it out...

Thanks for the replies. I have another guitar with a little nitro ding and have considered a nitro pen or something but have been erring on the side of caution.

It's honestly not that hard. I've done a bunch. You just need to go on a little at a time. It'll look kinda weird at first. Then after it's dried like a month, scrape or sand it down, then go through the grits, and buff out. It's when you need color that things get weird. But, this is over the rosewood, so you really wouldn't notice the color difference.

Also, definitely naptha the area a few times before to get any oils/etc out of the wood. it came off for a reason.

Archived