Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What the young'uns are up to these days

Maybe a producer will turn Geta Van Fleet around.  Until then, we can sort of look for them to run out of Zeppelin style riffs and start turning out something of their own.  A lot of bands find their way and change after a few CD's.  An example is In This Moment.  They dropped the early album songs from the set list and transformed into the Maria Show.  Halestorm changed a lot with their third album. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to look hard at the Strypes.....who proudly wear their influences, yet have crafted their own sound. 

'Such a world of difference tween the two.....

Good call on the Greta production going after Zep too....they simply need to mature some....but then again, the world still loves and misses the mighty Zep.

47 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Good call on the Greta production going after Zep too....they simply need to mature some....but then again, the world still loves and misses the mighty Zep.

I think the problem is the line between borrowing just enough that people here something familiar in you but still want you for your own thing and borrowing so much that you just end up reminding folks to break out Led Zep II. 

I love how the HFC is mostly a bunch of grumpy old men complaining about the noise those damn kids make. Not saying I'm immune to nostalgia and my imagination fossilizing with age, but to see how much we as a group angrily still declare that we're hip as we get out on the dance floor in white loafers and matching belts, to throw our back out at we try to do Twist... :D it's great.

Years between Glenn Miller's heyday and Led Zeppelin II... about 25.

Years between Led Zeppelin II and now? 45. 

To kids now, Zep is as far in the past as, say, Cole Porter was to you, if you were a long-haired rocker in the 70s. It's lovely that people will still like the influences of the past - when I was a kid I like classical, big band, and punk - but these guys aren't a harbinger of a return to real music. They're like if some kids in 1975 had donned suits, grabbed saxophones and trombones, and did a Red Nichols tribute act that your grandpa loved.

I don't see people complaining about GVF....simply pointing out and discussing where they are erring while simultaneously praising their chops and their sound is healthy.

I for one, am stoked and hopeful about them IF they will find their own sound which I hear on the song Black Smoke Rising. Guitar rock needs some new champions and these guys could do it.

Sayeth the dude turning double-nickels later this year....

I turned my son on to these guys last week, and he really likes them a lot.

My son grew up listening to my 70's Classic rock and he loves that stuff.

He wants to  see them if they come somewhere close to us in Texas.

Here's some evidence my son really loves Classic rock.

He's singing the lead on this tune.

3 hours ago, polara said:

I love how the HFC is mostly a bunch of grumpy old men complaining about the noise those damn kids make. Not saying I'm immune to nostalgia and my imagination fossilizing with age, but to see how much we as a group angrily still declare that we're hip as we get out on the dance floor in white loafers and matching belts, to throw our back out at we try to do Twist... :D it's great.

If that's seems my point, it is actually nowhere close to it.  I'm not complaining or complimenting it one way or another.  I'm not making a critical evaluation of the music itself at all. If one wants to enjoy it on its own merits and appreciate a new band doing music they like, I have no problem with that at all.  However, if someone thinks that this is a signal that the tide is turning back to kids loving the rawk, for my part, I'm trying to explain why they may be disappointed by the reaction younger folks have to bands like this.  

33 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Has anyone seen or heard The Struts?  I saw them a couple of times last year, and they are opening for Foo Fighters this year.  The Struts are recreating glam era pop. 

That's a performance!!!!!!!!

Someone does need to tell the guitar player he's not in an ABB tribute band as far as look goes.  Still awesome!

3 hours ago, LucSulla said:

If that's seems my point, it is actually nowhere close to it.  I'm not complaining or complimenting it one way or another.  I'm not making a critical evaluation of the music itself at all. If one wants to enjoy it on its own merits and appreciate a new band doing music they like, I have no problem with that at all.  However, if someone thinks that this is a signal that the tide is turning back to kids loving the rawk, for my part, I'm trying to explain why they may be disappointed by the reaction younger folks have to bands like this.  

No, it's because of the long history in this and may other threads of people here talking about how crappy music has been for the last (insert period of time since you were at your sexy, hard-partying peak) years. 'Twas ever so... dad's music was boring, the kids listen to crap, and OUR music was great.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not as offended by what the kids these days are listening to. When my folks were my age they thought what was on the radio was utter noisy garbage. The fact that I can enjoy a lot of it makes me think kids are not rebelling NEARLY hard enough.

On July 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM, LucSulla said:

They thought the band was good, but the students who like rock music said that there was nothing there that wouldn't keep them from just listening to Led Zeppelin.  The students that don't care for rock said it just sounded like something their Dads would like. 

Rock is just so firmly entrenched as an archetype among the younger folks that you really have to bring in something different.  They know who AC/DC, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin are, and they love those bands - to the point that they prefer just listening to them rather than looking for new bands.  I bet a lot of us here like some jazz and/or orchestral music, but of that group, how many of us care to listen to new jazz and orchestral music?  Same thing with rock music and the under-30 crowd. 

Interestingly, I had them pitch songs the last day of class some for the experience, and some because it keeps me up to speed on what they like. They are not terribly well versed in 60s and 70s R&B, so new stuff that borrows heavily from that doesn't make them go to older acts because they don't know they exist.  One student played something, and just from the album cover, before they played a note, I told the class it looked like Otis Redding.  When she played the song, this guy pretty much sounded like Otis Redding.  The class loved it, but only two of them knew who Otis Redding was.  

And one of them mentioned that Led Zeppelin is just so much bigger than all of that old R&B that there is no way to grow up and not know who that is, whereas someone like Otis Redding - an artist we all know and probably love as much as Zeppelin - is off their radar.  

As far as what they did like, this was the runaway winner as far as being unknown and blowing the class away, to give you a taste of what they dig:

Oh man, if the students preferred this to GVF, I suspect the skinny-jeans movement has had a worse effect on the brains of "yoot" than drugs ever did. 

On 7/28/2017 at 5:11 PM, LucSulla said:

They thought the band was good, but the students who like rock music said that there was nothing there that wouldn't keep them from just listening to Led Zeppelin.  The students that don't care for rock said it just sounded like something their Dads would like. 

Rock is just so firmly entrenched as an archetype among the younger folks that you really have to bring in something different.  They know who AC/DC, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin are, and they love those bands - to the point that they prefer just listening to them rather than looking for new bands.  I bet a lot of us here like some jazz and/or orchestral music, but of that group, how many of us care to listen to new jazz and orchestral music?  Same thing with rock music and the under-30 crowd. 

Interestingly, I had them pitch songs the last day of class some for the experience, and some because it keeps me up to speed on what they like. They are not terribly well versed in 60s and 70s R&B, so new stuff that borrows heavily from that doesn't make them go to older acts because they don't know they exist.  One student played something, and just from the album cover, before they played a note, I told the class it looked like Otis Redding.  When she played the song, this guy pretty much sounded like Otis Redding.  The class loved it, but only two of them knew who Otis Redding was.  

And one of them mentioned that Led Zeppelin is just so much bigger than all of that old R&B that there is no way to grow up and not know who that is, whereas someone like Otis Redding - an artist we all know and probably love as much as Zeppelin - is off their radar.  

As far as what they did like, this was the runaway winner as far as being unknown and blowing the class away, to give you a taste of what they dig:

THAT was the runaway winner???  I'd just run away.  I know I've been old for a while, but this really makes it official.

And get off my lawn!!!

11 hours ago, FGJ said:

Oh man, if the students preferred this to GVF, I suspect the skinny-jeans movement has had a worse effect on the brains of "yoot" than drugs ever did. 

These aren't hipsters.  Anything but.  Imagine a world where Nickelback and Three Doors Down were the biggest rock bands around, and then imagine growing up in it.  We'd probably all hate rock too. 

On 7/30/2017 at 1:08 PM, polara said:

Years between Glenn Miller's heyday and Led Zeppelin II... about 25.

Years between Led Zeppelin II and now? 45. 

To kids now, Zep is as far in the past as, say, Cole Porter was to you, if you were a long-haired rocker in the 70s. It's lovely that people will still like the influences of the past - when I was a kid I like classical, big band, and punk - but these guys aren't a harbinger of a return to real music. They're like if some kids in 1975 had donned suits, grabbed saxophones and trombones, and did a Red Nichols tribute act that your grandpa loved.

There's a lot of grumpiness about music on this board! But really, there's soooo much good stuff being made now. You just have to dig around a bit.

51 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

These aren't hipsters.  Anything but.  Imagine a world where Nickelback and Three Doors Down were the biggest rock bands around, and then imagine growing up in it.  We'd probably all hate rock too. 

I totally agree with your point. However, Nickelback and Three Doors Down are not the biggest rock bands around, popular as they may be. Still, like everyone who purchased avocado-colored kitchen appliances in the late seventies, people are bound to accept whatever industries feed them, and if that's what the music industry is promoting, then that's what kids will like. I can't order steak unless I know it's on the menu, right? 

3 hours ago, FGJ said:

I totally agree with your point. However, Nickelback and Three Doors Down are not the biggest rock bands around, popular as they may be. Still, like everyone who purchased avocado-colored kitchen appliances in the late seventies, people are bound to accept whatever industries feed them, and if that's what the music industry is promoting, then that's what kids will like. I can't order steak unless I know it's on the menu, right? 

I meant around 2000-2008ish.  Nickelback and Three Doors Down owned rock radio for a large span of that time at the tail end of that mattering, and that's what all these kids grew up hearing in grade school and middle school.   To put it in perspective, Foo Fighters, who a lot of people consider the biggest rock band going right now, have sold 30 million albums worldwide.  Nickelback has sold 50 million records worldwide and are behind only The Beatles, Linkin Park, and Creed as far as rock bands in sales from 2000-2009.  So modern rock radio was Linkin Park, Creed, Nickelback, Kid Rock, Three Doors Down, Puddle of Mudd, Theory of Deadman, and a slew of other crap like that right around the time that older Millennials were hitting college and younger ones were hitting grade school.  I really can't blame them for thinking loud guitars to be kinda lame.  

I've already said that they know all about AC/DC, The Beatles, The Stones, Zep, and so on because, if anything, the industry feeds that more than anything.  Costs way less and is way easier to sell Led Zeppelin to a new generation than develop something new, and labels are quite aware of that since high schoolers got into The Beatles in droves back during the Anthology reissues around 94. 

Finally, I'd also not assume that they get into music from mainstream sources all the time.  They're as likely to find a band on Soundcloud are trolling around YouTube as they are from major label sources.  I mean, the guy who won best new artist this year isn't on any record label and basically is a product of of Soundcloud. They're a lot more plugged in to finding things that cater specifically to their tastes and much better at tracking that down than I think most people realize. 

You addressed something I had thought about but didn't mention, namely that it's cheaper for a label to promote Zepplin or something that's already paid for and tested than to gamble on something new. The problem is that sales require marketing and branding via touring, and we're not likely going to see Zepplin touring soon, which raises another factor in what kids choose to listen to; that factor being the cult of youth. Kids don't want to see old people on stage. They want to see others their age. The cult of youth dominates music, sports, and film, i.e., demand for something "new" isn't limited to the songs, but to the faces singing those songs. That's a hard pill to swallow as we age, and perhaps that adds to the disgruntled attitudes, but that's the reality of the situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was going to see Greta Van Fleet in either Charlotte or Johnson City.  Those shows and a few others are sold out.  That ends the decision to go see them.  Even if someone has an extra ticket to sell, the drive is too far to take a chance on finding one. 

Greta Van Fleet is going to be opening for Halestorm later this year. 

Interesting how the Glenn Miller vs. ____ (insert iconic classic rock band) seems to surface every time in one of these threads. I get the essence of the analog, however the music of Miller, Dorsey, and the like never displayed the endurance of populariy that the Beatles, Zep, Stones, Hendrix, etc. have enjoyed over several decades.

Outside of musos who studied jazz, no one in my peer group that came of age in the mid '80s even knew who the big band leaders were. I asked a diverse group of college bound high school seniors last April to indicate their familiarity with the aforementioned classic rockers. Between 70% and 94% positively identified the artist and their music. Not exactly scientific, but indicative of the staying power of the best of the best from the mid '60s-mid '70s. Well-crafted rock music has the potential to both reemerge regularly and endure indefinitely. 

Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, et al, were considered very "edgy" for the WWII generation. These segregated bands, playing "race music", swung their balls off, for the most part. Basie/Ellington/Satchmo/Ella Fitzgerald managed to dip into that market, as well.

By the time this demographic settled down and had families, "Big Band" music died out. Their kids glommed onto "rock combo" bands, and Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc., became the new voice of teen rebellion. It took less than a generation for pop music to evolve, and the British Invasion sealed the fate of the formally hip big bands.

Amazing, when you look at the timeline.

On 26.7.2017 at 0:12 AM, mrjamiam said:

Getting airplay lately in the Rocket City.  Kids still in high school, out of Michigan.

Great band! Love it. It doesn't make sense to order the EP from their homepage for overseas shipping costs. Though had to download from Amazon.

These guys go out and play. No need to complain. Check their touring calendar, Berlin, Hamburg Amsterdam, Paris, London for Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Greta Van Fleet had to postpone their show in Johnson City, TN earlier this summer.  So 80 tickets were to go on sale today at noon for a make up show in December.  I left my office at 11:40 AM and got back by 12:25 PM.  I immediately went to the club's web site to buy a ticket.  There was a warning that tickets were getting low, but got to pick out one ticket.  Then when I clicked to go to the next page the show was sold out.  80 tickets for a show at a small club were gone in less than 30 minutes. 

Oh, DRAT!!  Foiled again!

Archived