Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Volume knob

Jack C

I have a P90 Duotone that I love.  It sounds great when its volume knob is on full.  When I turn down the knob, the tone cleans up but gets muddy.  Same with my HB guitars.  I used to have a Vanguard P90 that cleaned up well when the volume knob was dipped, and it stayed bright and nice sounding.  Anyone understand why the Vanguatd did this better and what I can do to make the a Duotone work the same way?

HFC_T_Baby.jpg

No idea, but thought this was a perfect place to post this pic! :D

It's weird, Hamers are known to have good pots that keep the mud away with the volume knob down. 

Is is possible that someone switched out the pots? 

That pic is awesome!

You can get a treble bleed kit to install within the wiring, keeps tone more uniform throughout the travel of the volume knob. This obviously costs money and necessitates modifying your guitar.

A much easier solution is to set your guitar how you like it and use an Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal, that's what I prefer.

Good Luck!

My first thought was treble bleed kit as well. You can clip that resistor on with alligator clips to see if it fixes your issue without breaking your guitar's solder joints. Clickety this link for the component and a how-to for the alligator clip trick:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Capacitors_and_Resistors/Golden_Age_Treble_Bleed_Circuit.html

Archived