Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Here is my 2008 USA Hamer Talladega Black Transparent.

I just installed the Kinman P90-buckers instead of the DD's.

In my other guitars I also have Kinman pickups, a Broadcaster-set in my Esquire/Telecaster and a Impersonator Fat50-set in my Stratocaster.

The sound of these P90-buckers is fantastic, real P90 without hum.

It reminds me of my Studio Goldtop with a great sound, that I sold because of the hum of the P90's. Toi be honest I liked the original SD-P90's more than the Lollars I had in that guitar for some time. At that time Kinman did not yet have the noiseless P90-pickups. After they became available I always regretted selling that guitar.

At first I thought that it was not possible to get a decent clean sound out of these pickups, but it is actually quite easy to do by just turning down the volume to about 5. 

With the volume knob on 10 it is easy to get breakup sounds and the famous piano like tones on the low strings, it is dynamic.

There are some great demo's of these pickups on YouTube by Brett Kingman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtJTFPPkfGI

Of note is that I had to install a regular 3-way pickup selector switch as I ordered the pickups with 2 leads. In order to be able to ue the 4-way switch with the pickups in series it is necessary to order the neck pickup with 3 leads. However in my opinion that would be too much distortion in the series switching. So I am perfectly happy with this.

The Tally is a great guitar, it is comfortably light and it plays extremely well with the nice neck.

Now what do you think about the look of the guitar?

Personally I like the look of the cream pickup rings and cream pickups (with a nickel/chrome surrounding) and the amber knobs and the pickup selector switch with a black switch tip more than an all black look on this black transparent guitar (with a touch of gold in the right light). Maybe it would have looked nicer with the pole pieces in a straight line or with a metal cover. But this is how these pickups are being sold, and they are also available with a black, white, green, or blue cover.

Gabe :)

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

Digging the sort of WRHB pole layout on the Kinmans... the boutique pinnacle of noiseless performance.

Yeah, most noiseless pickups are not designed to be operated in split mode or wired in parallel for optimum performance as intended by the manufacturer.  I always shake my head when people insist in splitting their noiseless pickups... the other coil is often a dummy coil. Your two conductor wiring is perfect and yes, you did need to swap the blade for a toggle.

The amber knobs and black tip is a weird choice when you already have a strong cream theme with the tuner buttons, binding and pickup rings... but if you dig em' then that's all that matters.

8 minutes ago, zenmindbeginner said:

The amber knobs and black tip is a weird choice when you already have a strong cream theme with the tuner buttons, binding and pickup rings... but if you dig em' then that's all that matters.

Thanks for your comments.

This colour scheme is inspired on the first Talladega's, that were all Amberburst. Beautiful colour!

I dig amber knobs on anything! The split pole-piece look is odd to look at...at first, but then it is ok. All that matters though is the sound! And it sounds like those Kinmans trip your trigger so that is cool! Congrats on the new pups!

58 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I dig amber knobs on anything! The split pole-piece look is odd to look at...at first, but then it is ok. All that matters though is the sound! And it sounds like those Kinmans trip your trigger so that is cool! Congrats on the new pups!

You should see the RailHammers...  Half L500-style rails, half oversize pole pieces. :D 

Great TB Tally! I love mine too, but wouldn't change the pickups. Great idea to go classic P90. Looking great too.

So I was thinking where have I seen the colour combo of black with cream before? 

Here is a picture of the interior of my Volvo V60-PIH.

Gabe :)

IMG_2526.jpg

Archived