Hamer Fan Club Message Center

SD Antiquity video featuring Monaco Elite

Wow.  Monster tone.  Monster playing.  The players phrasing and timing were absolutely perfect.  That is he definition of musical playing as far as I'm concerned.  

That is one of the best demos of any piece of musical gear I have ever seen. 

Seriously.  I realize all playing is subjective- but, there wasn't one part of that demo I didn't like.  So many guys - even good players- rely on a sometimes narrow band of "tricks" when they play.  In a demo like that there is no hiding.   

I don't know the guy doing the demo- but he is a freaking monster.  

I picked up a '59/Custom Hybrid on my last Duncan order and one of the primary reasons was what Zen was able to do with it on his demo for it. Cool pickup - if you're one of those guys that thinks a JB can be icy and likes the JB overall except for that ice, the '59/Custom is a very, very viable and roots-accurate replacement. Sick versatile under the hands and with the knob too.

I put a set of Antiquities in my R58 last year. I get it now. They are defiantly a different animal then the typical Duncan pickups. Not muddy at all , lower output . I would recommend them for any one wanting to upgrade the LP or LP type guitar.  

20 hours ago, srvwannab said:

Seriously.  I realize all playing is subjective- but, there wasn't one part of that demo I didn't like.  So many guys - even good players- rely on a sometimes narrow band of "tricks" when they play.  In a demo like that there is no hiding.   

That's @zenmindbeginner. He had to come up with a custom song of his own in each demo. He did a great job and tried to capture the essence of the pickup and the model name. For instance, Whole Lotta Humbucker was a Led Zep esque kind of theme. The JB shootout was great. Seymour Duncan just couldn't see past their piss poor riffs they use as demos. Very sad. I thought Geoff did a fantastic job in each of his demos. 

4 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, definitely awesome demos.  Really gives you the range of the pickup.  I really hate it when you see "demos" that only show a heavily distorted tone.  

True. Plus his video production is superb. He's a one man show. Great attention to detail. He included information that you don't see in other people's demos. 

I always dig his videos. I can't believe SD would let him slip through their fingers. Another company out there ought to snatch him up just for his production skills. Great player, great producer. 

First off, let me thank you all for your kind words guys, they are AWAYS appreciated! SRVWANNABE, your comments about my phrasing and timing mean a lot... I work SO HARD to create fresh rhythmic ideas that are still warm & familiar... THANK YOU bro!!!

Yeah, they dropped me like a sack of potatoes. They are fucking dead to me.

I think THIS is the guy who thinks he can do better... they keep putting out these crap videos that nobody wants to see. They have it in their head that their decisions are golden and that they cannot make a mistake... what the fuck ever. Isn't this guy amazing?!? WOW... I am just blown away. Bwah Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

Seriously though... we are regrouping and keeping it within the family.

I am applying my talents and EFFORTS (because it's really about my hard work... I'm not really all that talented but just have a commitment to excellence and a STRONG pride in the quality of my work) to SHISKOV GUITARS which also means GRAVELIN PICKUPS.

That's right... my next demo will be for Shiskov guitars!!!! I would have to grovel on my hands and knees to work for some less worthy manufacturer... why not just go with the best AND keep it in the family?!? Shityeah we are gonna DO THIS!

Stoked to hear that Geoff. You are gonna kill it, quadrople the sales and set the roof on fire. Can't wait to see that video kick the other brands asses.

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Jeff R said:

I picked up a '59/Custom Hybrid on my last Duncan order and one of the primary reasons was what Zen was able to do with it on his demo for it. Cool pickup - if you're one of those guys that thinks a JB can be icy and likes the JB overall except for that ice, the '59/Custom is a very, very viable and roots-accurate replacement. Sick versatile under the hands and with the knob too.

This is my favorite pickup demo video....ever. Can't wait to see what comes from this partnership with Shishkov/Gravelin. 

That's great news! Can't wait to see the result. I'm sure it will become the Ultimate video. :P

• 4 weeks later...

What I like from Zen's playing is his stunning musicality and his rhythmic phrasing. He covers a lot of stylistic ground and one does get a clear idea of what the pickup offers, all its nuances and colors. He is a badass player with a lot of dynamic control and sensibility.

In addition, the way he edits his videos, his attention to all the details, the way he articulates without saying a word (just using musical notes and a stunning palette of tones!!!), the way he borrows a known phrase here and there to give the listener an idea of how the pickup can work in this or in that context... everything is oriented to illustrate the possibilities of the pickup.

In short, he aims for excellence and it shows. He gets the job done in a highly professional way. Let's not forget this is about giving you (us!) the itch to buy the pickups he is demoing. He succeeds in doing so BIG TIME, by taking special care of every aspect of his craft. Gosh, Zen is the Hamer of the pickup demonstrators!

Sadly, SD guys take their name for granted. That's why they think they don't need a player of this level to sell --just a bunch of wankers, as well as some few famous players who cannot hold a candle to a fraction of Zen's left little toe.

But well, moving on, I'm glad Shishkov and Gravelin have now Zen in their roster. A-players need to play with A-players. I'm proud of the HFC. Congrats to all!

I just gotta chime in here too. While I can honestly say that I also view the work here as among the very best ever in the whole "gear demo" realm, my absolute favorite aspect of the experience has been getting to know Geoff as a true friend. You will not find a more humble, thoughtful, imaginitive and compassionate soul no matter how long and hard you look. I just had to put it out there that not only do we have a MONSTER creative talent in our midst (GTFO with that "I'm not that talented stuff - you ARE  because of your dedication and work ethic, and an obvious gift or two thrown in), but you will be hard-pressed to find a better human being walking the earth today. I love this man as my brother. I can't WAIT to see and hear what comes next and have made it a point to travel and meet this amazing creature in person  very soon.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:36 PM, srvwannab said:

Zen can really rock it.................very clean playing with great tech on the way it is played...................not a bad sounding guitar either right?:)

Archived