Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I really enjoyed this last night. Dio and Iomi.

I had the opportunity to experiment with Cod in the kitchen last night so played a few live concerts. I was never a big Black Sabbath fan and the riffs from my memory of the original lineup were not impressive. I was very impressed with Iomi in these videos. I had to stop cooking several times to come in here and rewind the video to see what he was doing. Iomi is also an inspiration that he can play so well with what should be a handicap. You know, playing left handed. :lol:

And well, Dio? He's Dio. nuff said. 

I enjoyed this one.

And this one too. 

I had the chance to see those guys playing together live before Dio became a hologram.

It was awesome --'nuff said. 

I had front row center for Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell tour, then we got Ronnie's autograph after the show.  Over the years I saw Dio again and again.  In 2008 Heaven and Hell played with Judas Priest, and it was so impressive that I had to make a road trip to see Heaven and Hell again the next year.  That was 2009, and it turned out to be Dio's last tour.  I lucked up and got a front row ticket for Cincinnati.  It was worth the seven hour drive.

Never saw them live. I would have loved to see Rainbow in the 70's with Blackmore, Dio and Powell, my 2nd alltime favorite band after the Jeff Beck Group with Max Middleton, Clive Chaman and (again) Cozy Powell. I never saw Cozy Powell live either. I was just too young to see most of my favorite bands.

Dio was always a great singer.  I really thought that Heaven and Hell was a very strong album.  I'd liked Sabbath, but never like full albums all the way through.  I do think Iommi is a bit underrated especially given his lack of fingertips.  

1 hour ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

Never saw them live. I would have loved to see Rainbow in the 70's with Blackmore, Dio and Powell, my 2nd alltime favorite band after the Jeff Beck Group with Max Middleton, Clive Chaman and (again) Cozy Powell. I never saw Cozy Powell live either. I was just too young to see most of my favorite bands.

The one time I saw Cozy Powell it was with Emerson, Lake & Powell

I saw Dio during The Last in Line tour at a small fairground stage in CA with Whitesnake touring the "slide it In" album. Great show. Both singers could really sing and the double shotgun blast of Vivian Campbell and John Sykes was awesome!!

Lucky enough to see Dio with Rainbow back in the day.  Very lucky to see Dio way back in the day when he was in Elf. Use to play at a club near me a couple of times when he first started out. 

On 8/8/2017 at 2:58 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

I had the opportunity to experiment with Cod in the kitchen last night so played a few live concerts.

Cod is great, scrod is good.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:58 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

I was never a big Black Sabbath fan and the riffs from my memory of the original lineup were not impressive. I was very impressed with Iomi in these videos.

That's interesting, Thorn. Especially considering the heavy bands you and your son like, one would think 70s Sabbath would be right in your wheelhouse. "We Sold Our Souls for R'n'R" is a great compilation. "Past Lives" is a good live document before they fell apart an shit-canned Ozzy.

Dio really revitalized them with those two albums. Still heavy, but heavier on the vocal melodies/harmonies.Ronnie was such a class act.

I have the Radio City DVD/CD, it's killer. Really like the graveyard gates stage props. I saw them on that tour with Testament and Judas Priest, great night!

5 hours ago, RobB said:

That's interesting, Thorn. Especially considering the heavy bands you and your son like, one would think 70s Sabbath would be right in your wheelhouse. "We Sold Our Souls for R'n'R" is a great compilation. "Past Lives" is a good live document before they fell apart an shit-canned Ozzy.

Dio really revitalized them with those two albums. Still heavy, but heavier on the vocal melodies/harmonies.Ronnie was such a class act.

I have the Radio City DVD/CD, it's killer. Really like the graveyard gates stage props. I saw them on that tour with Testament and Judas Priest, great night!

I guess I should have been more clear in my statement. I first heard of Black Sabbath along about 7th grade. I was already listening to bands I considered "heavy" like the first Kiss Alive, DP Made in Japan,  Big Brother's Cheap Thrills, Steppin Wolf, and of course, Alice Cooper. I borrowed War Pigs from someone at school and I couldn't get past Ozzy's voice. The riffs were much slower and sludgier than what I was used to. Just wasn't my thing back then. But then again, I didn't like Hendrix back then either. Then, Van Halen came out and of course, Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East which was a game changer. So I never got back to Black Sabbath, I guess. Time just moved on. 

I remember when Dio joined up and I got the live album. I really liked his voice and that was the first "Sabbath" album I listened to to any length. But, I don't remember the riffs. Haven't listened to that album since I dropped out of college. This is the first time in a long time I've listened to Dio in a long time and the first time I've seen Iommi. Even just watching him is kind of magical or mystical. But, they aren't doing many of the old Sabb songs on these 2 videos, are they? So it's all new to me. New music is good. If Ozzy were in these videos I don't think I would have liked them or watched them. I watched them again last night while cooking dinner. Really heavy riffs that actually reminded me of Corrosion of Conformity which I suppose is backwards since CoC should remind me of BS. :D

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:56 AM, RobB said:

"Past Lives" is a good live doc

I have the Radio City DVD/CD, it's killer.

respectfully disagree about past lives, the only reason they released it was Sharon wanted a cut of the unauthorized "live at last" action. 70s sabs is my all time fave, but that live album is not good (check out the 75 Asbury park download, much better, I think "megalomania" from past lives is from that).

def agree w/ "radio city" & "We Sold Our Souls for R'n'R"! 

PS - heres a playlist w/ my fave sabs and their disciples;

• 4 weeks later...

I somehow missed the initial run of Dio Sabbath in the 80s. I will always kick myself over that. (Don't ask) Anyway, they played with Priest back in, like, 2008. Fucking blew me away. When they played Heaven & Hell, I got chills, it was so good. I got the box set and Live DVD the next day (I did see them twice in a week). Miles better than the Ozzy-fronted Sabbath. 

On 8/13/2017 at 5:18 AM, Brooks said:

respectfully disagree about past lives, the only reason they released it was Sharon wanted a cut of the unauthorized "live at last" action. 70s sabs is my all time fave, but that live album is not good (check out the 75 Asbury park download, much better, I think "megalomania" from past lives is from that).

I can see your point. I should have phrased it better. It's not a "good" album in the usual sense, it's the sound of a band falling apart (or, having a bad night). That's the very reason I like "Past Lives", though. It's an honest record.

I think a LOT of 70s bands didn't release live records (hello, Van Halen?) because they couldn't cobble together tapes that were worth a shit. Even King-God-of-the-Earth Rob Halford had to recut his vocals for "Unleashed in the East."

On 9/8/2017 at 2:54 PM, RobB said:

I can see your point. I should have phrased it better. It's not a "good" album in the usual sense, it's the sound of a band falling apart (or, having a bad night). That's the very reason I like "Past Lives", though. It's an honest record.

I think a LOT of 70s bands didn't release live records (hello, Van Halen?) because they couldn't cobble together tapes that were worth a shit. Even King-God-of-the-Earth Rob Halford had to recut his vocals for "Unleashed in the East."

I dunno man....IIRC, the 70s were when EVERYONE released a live album,  at least once Frampton Comes Alive exploded. 

That said, I loved the Heaven and Hell tour back in, what 1980-1981?? Sammy Hagar opened and RJD Sabs just ruled. To this day, they had the best sound of any arena concert I have ever heard. Stupid loud, but clear as a bell. Ion I was just menacing on guitar and RJD was an awesome frontman.  Especially when he raised his arms during War Pigs and showed his wispy bat wings. It was a great show at the Philly Spectrum!

I said live albums, not "live" albums. To me, hearing mistakes/clams, different tempos and improvised solos is what makes concert records intriguing. I realize most arena rockers of the 70s/80s spent their time on the road sleep-deprived and loaded as fuk. Ya do a sloppy show sometimes...So what? If you can't cobble together 14 decent takes of songs from your 10-month tour, who can call it "live?"

My above screed doesn't diminish any of the many concert records that we all love so much; they're awesome and still sound great today. 

Archived