Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Standard fitted with Gibson Kahler

randrewrussell

Question

10 answers to this question

The Kahler would 100% have been aftermarket.  If you're looking to restore it to original, we'd need to know what year the Standard in question was made.  There is variation from the 1970s to the 2000s.  

Since it's a Gibson Kahler, and those were only out for a few years in the '80s ('83-'87 or so), I'm assuming it was either yanked off of a Les Paul or was a leftover part.  Gibson used two different Kahler units though - a stud mount and a flat mount.  That information will help too.

Back then, they would have used the Gibson spec (or Schaller) Studs/Tune-O-Matic parts.

ok anyone here know what Gibson specs were.  I tried using the Faber 4mm inserts but they were too small for the 

inserts they had routed for the Gibson Kahler.  The Gib inserts are 4mm inside but 6.25mm (17/64) externally. The routed

holes are a little larger I can't find anything that Faber has to explain this.  Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

I have nothing to contribute other than kindly asking for pics.

Ok called Kahler and got Jerry himself.  Great guy a real gentleman.  Regardless he told me that the inserts were 

proprietary to his Gibson Kahler.  Mine is a pre pat applied 1981.  Solid Brass all the way around including all extra hardware.

He told me that he was SAE only and that may be the problem so I have go back to Faber. Thanks everyone

If you're patching the Kahler route, can't you plug and redrill the stud insert holes to a Faber spec?

Yes from what the previous owners did that appears to be a solution or the solution and thanks

I was hoping to just purchase a drop in replacement insert from Faber but no such luck with the 

odd SAE drilled holes.  They are about 5/32 which, I think, is slightly larger than 4mm insert so that is the solution I guess.

DEFINITELY keep us posted (with pics) of your progress!  We love seeing these altered guitars brought back to full playing glory around here.

Archived