Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hot Damn! PATB Love

Rather than post in my News From The Bench thread, I wanted this to have it's own.

Swapped the SD Perpetual Burn out of my Charvel CS Star for a PATB-1 and WOW! What a difference!

It's kinda funny 'cause I used to detest the PATB's that were in several Hamers that I've since either sold off or swapped out the p'up in. It took Gatorbyte's bastard case plug Cali to reacquaint me with the kickass qualities of PATB-1's. I was so impressed with how the Liberace sounds, I quickly snagged an old 80's PATB-1 off of Reverb and now it's making my Charvel Star sing with a new voice.

Any other PATB lovers here?

Star PATB.jpg

Star PATB1 whole.jpg

My "Ruby" ESP is currently riding a Blues Saraceno. It has a subtle midrange scoop compared to the PATB-1 as well as less output, kinda like a honkless PAF. It took me a little while to find the height sweet spot for my hands and ears - a bunch of back and forth - but once I hit its crosshairs, I was and remain quite pleased.

18788713_10212723024810965_1993933584_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeff R said:

One of my clients was so impressed with my PATB-3, we put one in his old Charvel Model 5 Stike and I recently overhauled.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

I'll have to try one of those Blues Scaraceno PATB-3's.  Mid range scoop is what drove me away from the Perpetual Burn and the Custom and to the PATB and the Custom Custom but the lower output might be something to work with to add some mid back in via the pedal board and the control panel for the amp.

I found a new set of PATBs in my parts pile including a Blues Saraceno bridge pickup. I'm rebuilding a 1990 Chap Elite hum/sing/hum that I bought with some junk pickups. Guess I'll have to find that soldering station and get back to work.

1 hour ago, atquinn said:

PATB's look great (until the pole pieces start to rust anyway :) ) and sound great. The PATB1 always felt kind of like a non-annoying JB to me.

-

Austin

Yeah, there was a little bit of rust on the one I put in my Charvel. A carefully applied bit of steel wool cleaned some, if not most, of the rust off. Doesn't seem to impact the sound/performance so far as I can tell...

Archived