Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Installing a Filtertron pickup on an Artist or Studio

Hello HFC!

Has anyone here who has owned either an Artist or a Studio ever installed a set of Filtertron pickups in their guitar? If so, how was your experience with it and how did it sound on your guitar?

Guitar George

^^^^^ This and ^^^^^^ that above it.  Go check out their website's descriptions of TV Classics, Powertrons, Supertrons, etc., keeping in mind you can get most of what they do in a drop-fit PAF format.

I am VERY fond of the TV Classics in that pickup demo guitar I threw together for the shop a few weeks ago (I'm a TVJ dealer). I told Vonnie after I finished it, my first impression of a 'Tron-like pickup in a pure solidbody ... superstrats are my DNA (child of the 80s) and I love fundamental LPs, strats, teles and what each bring to the table tone-wise ... but if I could only have one electric guitar, just one electric guitar, and it had to do everything under the sun I could throw at it really well ... whatever guitar platform it would be (probably a strat), no question it would have TV Classics in it. Not a drop of hesitation.

I`m a big fan of TV Jones. Both these have Powertrons. 

The first is a Korina solid body Nebelung (Norwegian designed but this particular is built by ESP) belonging to my bandmate that I have installed HB sized Powertrons in.

The green one is a Gretsch Streamliner. Good guitar but not that good pickups. TV Jones to the rescue. 

The Powertrons is more punchy than Classic Plus that I have in another guitar but still has that Gretsch flavour. Copes with overdrive really Well. Works nice on both guitars but the solid body has a nice articulation in it that cuts really nice thru the mix (We`ve been using that guitar a lot on the new album). 

16427545_10154725856410358_7218341985529851447_n.jpg

17353212_10154865900535358_861459983235802892_n.jpg

Dude,  check out the search function for my thread when I installed a set of   Rumpeltrons in my Korina Artist HB. I have vintage wind Rumpeltrons in my Artist and they ain't coming out. Cheaper than TV and these actually sound better imo...I did have a TV Classic in the bridge for a while and it didn't make the cut. But the Rumpeltrons are perfect. Trons are cool and weird. Cool in the vintage tone...neck tone may be the best ever....weird in that the plain treble strings are cutting and the wound strings bring the thud. Almost like two different pickups in the same enclosure. I love them.

Archived