Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Remember the whole Gibson thing regarding the PRS Singlecut?

If I recall, the standard that was using was discussed was something to the effect of, if somebody were to see a band in a bar, or a guitar hanging in a music store, would they confuse the PRS Singlecut for a Les Paul.  Aside from both being single cutaway solid body guitars, I didn't think they looked very much alike.  

I just saw one of these models for sale on The Gear Page.  I had two thoughts, first- this is the first Gibson in a long time that floored me by its looks, and second, it looks like a freaking PRS.

Just sayin'.

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.29.57 AM.png

Look at the write-up in the 'Extras' section:  " Each Tak Matsumoto DC Standard Flame Top—exclusive to Japan—includes a black Custom Shop hardshell case, a Certificate of Authenticity, adjustment literature, and is covered by Gibson’s Limited Lifetime Warranty and 24/7/365 Customer Service."  Methinks that, if this guitar is 'exclusive to Japan', then maybe that's how Gibson is getting around any PRS lawsuits, partly because the Japanese market is notorious with being fast and loose for 'borrowing' looks and features from other well-known products:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Tak-Matsumoto-DC-Standard-Flame-Top.aspx

I don't think that's the case...    The local Gibson rep had a black version of that DC standard

body style (think a les paul std features but in that shape) and he was as proud as can be

about it...  I played it, thought it was pleasant enough. but it was probably a ringer and

had extra time on the set-up...   just thought the mix of the slightly more modern body

with the typical Gibson headstock just looked odd to me.

BTW: On mylespaul.. some posters are talking about some crazy discounts on some

newly released 2015 juniors and specials from Sam Ash (the one's with the metal nuts).   

I always suspected that Gibson was still sitting on some of the unsold 2015 stuff.   Kind

of makes me wonder what other unsold stuff they're holding.     

Here is a pic of the one for sale on TGP- not saying I'd buy it- but, I think it is pretty...and kind of looks like a Custom 22 with an artist package...

edited to add- the knobs look like they were placed in the dark, and the pickup switch looks really wrong  - in fact, I think removing the pickup switch ring would help...but, I would like it more than anything Gibson is making right now.

IMG_5439.JPG

They should have put a firebird headstock on it, or an explorer style one. The headstock just doesn't fit with the rest of it, aesthetically.

Tak Matsumoto has had a bunch of pretty guitars in that same config though, both epiphone and Gibson. He pretty much is their go to guy in the Japanese market.

I agree about the headstock needing to be different. Firebird would be cool, but a stylized version of it.  Or, maybe a different take on the 4 x 2 headstock.  I also think the switch would need to move to at least complete the control quad that looks like someone took out a pot.  

Whether or not it actually imparts the PRS vibe, it appears to be an attempt by Gibson to do so. The switch on the upper horn and the trio of controls just look goofy. One might surmise that Tak specified the layout that way. His prerogative. 

The traditional open book headstock on any of these newer body styles makes for an odd looking package. The FB headstock would have matched the overall aesthetic infinitely better. 

Well, for me this isn't about liking it or not.

The switch at that position was probably by Matsumoto's specs. The classic headstock is an aesthetic distraction. But... does this guitar make me think PRS? Hell, YES! Abso-fuck*ng-lutely!

7 hours ago, velorush said:

That whole idea (double cut, switch on upper bout) done correctly, the 594:

594_photo1.jpg

Oh yes!  

Yeah, to me, the switch on the upper bout of a double cut looks off no matter who makes it.  The pickup model etching being upside down on the bridge pickup doesn't help.  The rest of it looks great. 

On 19.8.2017 at 9:04 PM, Bennyboy-UK said:

The blue makes it look so good

... and sound even better!

Both are very nice guitars though quite different.

With the same pickups they might sound quite the same.

8 hours ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, to me, the switch on the upper bout of a double cut looks off no matter who makes it.  The pickup model etching being upside down on the bridge pickup doesn't help.  The rest of it looks great. 

My first exposure to the idea (double cut with the switch on the upper bout) was a CO Hamer Artist someone here has (sorry, can't recall and Googling with all my might revealed no photos).  At first sight it seemed to me very:

Sts114_033.jpg

But the more I looked at it the cooler it looked.  :)  

I really (really) like the PRS 594, but of course my affinity is based purely aesthetics as I've never had opportunity to play one. 

There's this one (not sure whose it is):

IMG_0205.jpg

The Gibson isn't that bad. The poker chip is a bit much and the control layout looks like Jeff Healey was in charge, but otherwise it's much better than some of their recent offerings. I prefer the LP switch location to that of Hamer's. To me it's more natural, but I've played a Les Paul for more years.

It has always felt more natural to me for the switch up where it is on a Les Paul. Easier to swipe at, even though it is further away. 

I'm pretty sure opinions may vary... :)

EAT - didn't see hamerhead's post. Pretty much,  "yeah what he said..."

Archived