Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who gigs the "good stuff"?

carfish7

2 hours ago, atomicwash said:

^^^ This ^^^

Plus, all my "good" stuff is insured thanks to a great thread in Ask the HFC Experts through Heritage/Travelers. All of my gear is replaceable or substitute-able; it's the arthritis and tendinitis that I'm REALLY concerned about and I want to enjoy playing/gigging as long as I can.

I think the concern, especially with Hamers, is they really aren't replaceable. Once it gets broken or  boosted, there's no replacing it. That's one of the reasons why I  reconnoiter ahead of time, any venue that we are playing for the first time. Gathering a little intel goes a long way to determining whether I bring the good stuff.

I don't own much gear and its all for gigs.

been enjoying my Ibby prestige RG I picked up after unloading my last hamer to mr hartwell last month;

BK blind tiger 7-17.jpg

I've never understood why this question is even asked.  As stated previously, unless you are a collector, why did you bother to buy the tool if you weren't planning on using it?  I've gigged for years with my Hubers and never thought twice about it.  I'm a player...not a collector.  Please understand that I am not putting collectors down in any way.  It's a very different mindset.  If I am going to spend 3,4, or 5k on an instrument you can bet your sweet ass I am going to play it.

I won't take the 12-string Standard out because my luck I'll bang the neck into the drum kit. 

Its a very tight stage.

No problem with 0531 however, it's got 36 years of worn paint 😁👍🏻

On August 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM, veatch said:

As stated above,  if I know the place,  I'll take the Shishkovs, Hamer COs, whatever. I bought them to use them, not hide them. 

If I'm going to a rough part of town to a new place, I would think twice. 

Either way, have insurance. 

This had NO LIKES and my be the smartest thing I read on the board EVER. 

Been gigging quite a bit this summer and my quiver is usually Hamer Superpro, Hamer Duotone, Hamer Sunburst, Fender Tele and my Duesenberg Duocat 12. The venues I am playing are all pretty tame. Wineries and brew-pubs in tourist locales. There's no smoking indoors in Washington.

Not really worried about drunks or theft. But I do have a Heritage insurance policy. I own a lot of instruments right now, but there aren't any that I wouldn't take out to a show.

I have always gigged the good stuff...including my Hamers and irreplaceable Shishkov. 

I bought them to play them. Live, in the studio, wherever. That said, if I know the gig is in a dive on a tiny stage, I'll likely take a Fender, Peavey, or a parts caster....along with a Hamer....

Would think twice about giggin with my 4-digits. But if I knew the stage was big enough, and that I could have them in sight all the time, then I would do it.

I've been playing m 1979 Sunbursts for most gigs. They are so comfortable, I know I don't f*ck up much on them, and they sound so good. And I always bring one of my 1973 Marshalls. I only have vintage amps, so I don't really have an option there. Besides, nothing else sound as good as an old JTM or JMP. Did I hear you say "Mustard caps".

Archived