Hamer Fan Club Message Center

They don't make benches like this anymore

JimiH

We recently moved our engineering department to another part of the building. During the move we threwย a lot out which was to include a big rubber backed workbench until I realised under the rubber was 2 inch thick mahogany ๐Ÿ˜€. Couldn't let that happen so I brought in my circular saw and now have 16 guitar blanks in my shed. Also enough edging to do the same amount of necks. The stuff must be 40+ years old kept at 20 deg C ๐Ÿ‘ Some of them have 15mm holes in them which I guess I could fill. So some time in the future I plan a build โœŠ๏ธ

Regards

Geoff

Dang. Nice score! Love these type of stories.

Pix!

I briefly worked at company that producedย  base board mouldings.ย  They would toss obscene amounts of 1" eastern maple 2 to 4 foot shorts in the dumpster. Well, not for the 3 months I worked there! Every day I packed out a armful of neck blanks, hahah. That was over 15 years ago andย  I still have a decent supply.

During the Depression and the years after (up to WW II), my grandfather worked in a defense warehouse in Kansas. Everything the government ordered----Guns, ammo, parts, routine supplies---Had to meet specs, which typically called for shipping crates and pallets made of prime hardwood lumber. Which largely meant oak, walnut, maple and similar USA sourced hardwoods. Probably hickory and some others too. And prime meant zero knots or defects. What did they do when they cracked open the crates? Toss it in a big pile....I guess if it was still there the following winter, they'd burn it.

So, anyone that had a use for it could just stick it in their truck and take it. Jake saved the wood for future projects.....Stashed so much of it i"overhead" in his old garage that it (the garage) fell down.

I think my nephew still has the rocking chair he made for me back in the 50s using some of that walnut. He and one of my uncles helped inspire my own woodworking impulses. But I sure would love to get walnut for free, rather than for $8 or more a board foot!

Use it well!

That's a true score!ย 

Great wood you've got there. No need for a Shish any time soon Iย think. Or rather ask Mike to create something nice from it.

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย OLD WOOD IS GOOD WOOD! Nice save! Put it to good use............................... ย  ย  TIMBER!;)

Cheers guys, I'm now bingeing on guitar building YouTube vids. I know to take it slow and not aim too high. First build will be a tele and depending on how the body goes will depend if I make or buy the neck? ๐Ÿ‘โœŠ๏ธ Got myself a router and a template๐Ÿ‘ Nothing fancy on the first one!

geoff

Archived