Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson may be Worse than Junk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had me until Slim Neck. It seems Gibson use to '59 neck at one time and now leans heavily towards the '60`s slim taper neck. I`ve played both and the '59 neck is one of my favorites and can`t stand the other. I can see however how most prefer the '60`s neck.

I think the 2004 I have had the thick neck. I am fine either way. My Newport has a beefy neck, as does my 96 special. My Two studios are middle of the road, and the 93 special is super thin, definitely thinner than a 60s slim taper.

As long as it has the longer late 60s neck joint and looks cool.. I'm in.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 2:20 PM, Biz Prof said:

Bingo. There are quite a few financial ratios that are largely/only meaningful through a comparative lens. The mere nature and history of some industries encourages debt leveraging that borders on insanity. 

Off topic, but do you know of an online resource that tracks those kinds of metrics across industry segments over time and publishes the data online?  I'd love to see some infographics about that.

2 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

Off topic, but do you know of an online resource that tracks those kinds of metrics across industry segments over time and publishes the data online?  I'd love to see some infographics about that.

RMA - Robert Morris Associates (now morphed into Risk Management Associates, how convenient).  They used to publish a book of financial ratios and Balance Sheet diagnostics by SIC Code (Standard Industry Classification).  Used those all through college and my first, say, ten years of commercial banking.  After that everything was on the Interwebs and I was working for a Fortune 100 bank that was large enough to produce its own metrics.

Ah, a bit of research and, viola!  It appears they still publish.  It appears, like everyone else, they've moved from the old SIC codes to the far more specific NAICS Codes.

On another note: I understand the marketing, but to omit Robert Morris from the name is a travesty given his incredible contribution to the forming of the United States.  

On 8/30/2017 at 1:23 PM, crunchee said:

I wouldn't trust anybody who knows what 'Ebitda' means and doesn't have to look it up first.  :rolleyes:

Guess you can't trust me then. :D  The lack of capitalization on that makes my teeth move around.  And, agreed, there are other, better indicators of the financial health of a given company.

One thing I noticed is that GC and Fender are owned, at least in part, by "vulture capitalists" although Fender seems to be struggling to get out from under that.  Another is the "turnover among senior management" at Gibson.  Kinda like a duh on that one as Henry's tyrannical, psychotic style has been well known for years.

Hate to sound like the marketing guy......but I told NAMM years ago that THEY should buy MTV, VH-1 and the other music TV channels when those were in financial trouble....with the backing of major manufacturers and bombard the viewership with guitar, drum, keyboards and horn driven music played by real musicians, to keep the market going and inspire new kids to play.

Instead, they dumped $millions$ Into such dumb promotions like "Music and The Brain," to try and promote school music programs, when districts were broke and facing cutbacks.

They allowed the "Musc Video" channels..and TV vocal contests like "American Idol" and "The Voice," that control the music industry marketing, to push rap/hiphop, canned solo singers and computer music genres and kill off guitar rock. Those channels and shows have cntrolled the music culture for the past decades and NAMM and the MI industry could have grabbed it, instead of letting the record industry dictate music trends that were pushed onto the public.

For the same marketing and advertising money NAMM and all the manufacturers and retailers spend, they could have controlled the music monster. 

I also had suggested that they organize their own co-sponsored national network of live music venues, so musicians would be guaranteed places to play and get paid and be inspired to keep buying gear.

So seeing the large guitar companies and big box retailers all in debt and controlled by Wall Street type guys now... I have no sympathy.

At least decades ago, most of the MI manufacturing companies and retailers were run by musicians, who happened to start a business and it grew....and THEN they got to "NOW what do I do?!?"  It was better to have those guys running things than guys who bought up major MI companies solely to do IPO's, make fast $millions$ and leave a wake of ruins in the process.

10 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Completely blown away but the prices CME has been selling 2016 LP's and ES Guitars. SUB 2K, for great tops and cool colors. 

The cme prices are off the hook, especially if you used the reverb coupon code (although on some models they would move if you called em).     Not sure how gibson thinks gibson can justify a price increase when they just stuck all the dealers sitting on inventory and offered lower prices on the cme stuff which other dealers also got.       Btw:   Gc opening a new location in Manchester nh in a now subdivided sports authority building.   How fitting.      They'll be competing with music mill who are awesome and won't lose the case lol.   

10 hours ago, mc2 said:

They allowed the "Musc Video" channels..and TV vocal contests like "American Idol" and "The Voice," that control the music industry marketing, to push rap/hiphop, canned solo singers and computer music genres and kill off guitar rock.

Tom Petty Quote.jpg

A publisher tried getting publications into Wal-Mart and Lowe's Food stores.  An agreement was signed, but then... if the publisher wanted to get paid what was contractually agreed upon after the payment date had passed those big chain stores offered a lower amount to settle the debt. 

Gibson should add Hamer to their list of brands. That would kind of close a circle to where it began.

5 hours ago, gorch said:

Gibson should add Hamer to their list of brands. That would kind of close a circle to where it began.

DAMN YOU TO HELL! 

If you want to ruin all that Hamer ever was, handing it over to Gibson would be the best way to do it! 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, Steve Haynie said:

DAMN YOU TO HELL! 

If you want to ruin all that Hamer ever was, handing it over to FMIC was the way to do it! 

Fixed that for ya Steve

Hbom, that is true.  FMIC did ruin Hamer.

However, Gibson purposely tried to demote Epiphone's name to that of a beginner instrument.  Gibson would never market Hamer by mentioning Hamer's improvements on Gibson's designs.  Hamer's quality would have to go down to make Gibson's "quality" look better. 

Archived