Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer STDF-CS The Standard Flame

Great guitar. Nothing to worry about. Usually you get great value for the buck with these.

Is it from the XT line? Price point?

There are reviews on Amazon. Although, I wouldn't buy for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamer-STDF-CS-XT-Standard-Sunburst/dp/B0002GWQ7W

I hope I don't get kicked out of the group for this but...

If I was looking for an import Standard/Explorer this month, I would probably have to try one of these;

Epiphone LE Exclusive Run 1958 Korina Explorer Reissue Antique Natural.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EXP2-ANGH3

I know it's got the wrong name on  the headstock, but so does the STDF CS. And I played one of these recently and it was pretty damn nice.

I guess I must confess that I'm a sucker for Korina. :)

That's WAY overpriced, if you're talking about a new one.

The Epiphone, or even a used USA Hamer (Special, anything) would be better.

1 hour ago, Hbom said:

I hope I don't get kicked out of the group for this but...

If I was looking for an import Standard/Explorer this month, I would probably have to try one of these;

Epiphone LE Exclusive Run 1958 Korina Explorer Reissue Antique Natural.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-EXP2-ANGH3

I know it's got the wrong name on  the headstock, but so does the STDF CS. And I played one of these recently and it was pretty damn nice.

I guess I must confess that I'm a sucker for Korina. :)

They are nice but if they are like the old Korina EPI's, they are mahogany with a Korina veneer. Still very nice though.

1 hour ago, Hbom said:

6 hours ago, cynic said:

It might help us judge what level of "upgrade" could be expected if we knew what your student is playing now. 

The guitar he has now is an old squire strat. It is not to good. It is hard to

intonate and even stay in tune. 

I was just trying to find out if Hamer was a decent guitar for the price.
It's the one for $799 

Some online retailers have a no interest credit card deal if you pay it

off in time. I think it was something like $25 a month for 3 years.

I know there are all kinds of guitar that are good. I was just looking

to provide them what is out there and give them some ideas. 

I just did not know anything about the Hamer

On the used market you should be able to find one for about 50% less than the Amazon ad. I wonder they are still available new (old stock). Hamer is long gone.

14 minutes ago, gorch said:

On the used market you should be able to find one for about 50% less than the Amazon ad. I wonder they are still available new (old stock). Hamer is long gone.

Thanks but it is probably going to be something new. There are not to many local music stores in my area.
It wound be ideal to go and find something he could play first. That is what we might do first. I would go along to help out.

I was browsing around online and say some retailers are offering payments if you get their credit card.

Interest free of x amount of time. The Hamer was something like $25 for three years. There are a heck of alot

of guitars at different prices. 

He is pretty good I had him for two years. He can even play by ear. I think he is only 12 years old.

You know how kids are when they see something they want. It had to also appeal to their eyes too.(Wait I could be talking about myself about appealing.)

The Standards are great since they hang always great on the player. The neck has the perfect angle to the fretting hand. Almost ideal for learners. The import series Standards are light weight and easy to wear for students.

The guitar you linked to is an XT series made during a previous iteration of Hamer Guitars and wouldn't include a valid warranty.

Also, strapping someone two years from legal working age with three years of debt seems like something less than a good idea.

4 minutes ago, cynic said:

The guitar you linked to is an XT series made during a previous iteration of Hamer Guitars and wouldn't include a valid warranty.

Also, strapping someone two years from legal working age with three years of debt seems like something less than a good idea.

The kid will not or does not have to buy his own guitar or make payments. 

I have a Korean-made Standard. It's OK; a nice beefy neck, but otherwise, it is nothing I'd miss if it left the stable. 

I strongly recommend your student look at a PRS SE. Used, those are exceptionally well made and are incredible values for MIK guitars. I see nearly all the SE variants for sale at half or less of the new imported Hamer Standard.

19 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I have an Korean-made Standard. It's OK; a nice beefy neck, by otherwise, nothing I'd miss if it left the stable. 

I strongly recommend your student look at a PRS SE. Used, those are exceptionally well made and are incredible values for MIK guitars. I see nearly all the SE variants for sale at half or less of the new imported Hamer Standard.

Yes I like the Santana myself. As well as the single cut. I think they call it 245

If the student hasn't ever looked over or even held a Standard/Explorer-shaped guitar before, they need to do so before they buy, as the body shape isn't everybody's cuppa joe.  There's been a few HFC members in the past that have tried to bond with the body shape, but for whatever reason just couldn't.  Not all floor stands can hold them securely, either; and they tend to be prone to getting smacked into walls and cymbals and anything else when worn on a strap, due to their size.

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

+1

Or the G&L Tribute stuff.

10 hours ago, crunchee said:

If the student hasn't ever looked over or even held a Standard/Explorer-shaped guitar before, they need to do so before they buy, as the body shape isn't everybody's cuppa joe.  There's been a few HFC members in the past that have tried to bond with the body shape, but for whatever reason just couldn't.  Not all floor stands can hold them securely, either; and they tend to be prone to getting smacked into walls and cymbals and anything else when worn on a strap, due to their size.

To be honest, I have never had any problems with the 4 I own.

You can find a USA G&L for less than $799 and G&L USA guitars are incredible guitars. That being said the Tributes are great imports and can be found used for $300 -$400 everywhere. Have heard a lot of praise for the PRS SE but have not tried one yet myself. 

The G&L Fallout is a great choice as you get versatility with the pickups, P-90, Humbucker, and single coil from the Humbucker with the push/pull knob. 

23 hours ago, gorch said:

The Standards are great since they hang always great on the player. The neck has the perfect angle to the fretting hand. Almost ideal for learners. The import series Standards are light weight and easy to wear for students.

The old Import Standards that were made of all maple were very heavy. They were made in black and Aztec gold(maybe natural). I wish I would have bought one when I had the chance. I love heavy guitars.

Talking about G&Ls, etc., while fine guitars and lots of bang for the buck, is not really going to help a 12 year old if he wants an Explorer shaped guitar.  I remember being very certain about what I wanted at that age, because of what I liked the look of, what guitarists I liked played, etc.  If somebody had told me back then I should buy a Tele copy or a 335 copy, I'd have not been happy with that choice.

I personally think those guitars are significantly overpriced - by at least $200-$300.  If the kid really likes/wants an Explorer shape, I'd try Epiphone or a used Hamer Flametop import.  I am very negative about the pricing for the quality of the new ones, personally.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I personally think those guitars are significantly overpriced - by at least $200-$300.  If the kid really likes/wants an Explorer shape, I'd try Epiphone or a used Hamer Flametop import.  I am very negative about the pricing for the quality of the new ones, personally.

^^^This. Used Epi Explorers pop up on CL regularly. I do recommend trying before you buy. There are turds floating around. 

Archived