Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Considering Getting An Explorer Refinished...

srvwannab

^^^^^ Was just going to suggest this. Black pickguard would look sharp. 

With the cost of a refin, to/from shipping you're more than halfway to the cost of buying a used one in a color you like. Explorers don't come in many colors (natural/black/white/cherry), but there have been a few limited color runs. I recall a silver sparkle with mirror pickguard that was pretty cool. 

That said, if you really like the guitar and don't care about resale, go for it. 

1 hour ago, RobB said:

^^^^^ Was just going to suggest this. Black pickguard would look sharp. 

With the cost of a refin, to/from shipping you're more than halfway to the cost of buying a used one in a color you like. Explorers don't come in many colors (natural/black/white/cherry), but there have been a few limited color runs. I recall a silver sparkle with mirror pickguard that was pretty cool. 

That said, if you really like the guitar and don't care about resale, go for it. 

Rob- you are exactly right. In the gear world I'd rather buy somebody else's vanity project than fund my own. ;)

I picked up the Explorer locally for $750- and l like the guitar. I just don't love the color, so I'm thinking... what if...?  But, yes- you are very correct in that the math doesn't work very well on these kind of things. 

6 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Whomever you send it to, just tell them what you don't like and give broad parameters.  Let them create something great for you.  

Thank you for the great advice.  In my experience- that is exactly when artists to their best work.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  

Capri Orange.

Surf Green

Daphne Blue

yes, all Fender colors but all badass.  Now you have me thinking about getting my Peavey Firenza sprayed solid since I made a mistake when I installed some vintage Firebird pups...

13 minutes ago, zorrow said:

+1 for the black pickguard. 

It kind of would look like this.

Hamer Standard Mahogany

3 Explorers

Archived