Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I love brass!

gorch

Well kind of, not 100%. The pickups are actually aluminium, coated anodized gold. Any other hardware is made from brass and the strings are giong to be brass coated. I'm using Thomastik Infeld Sliders for years in most of my guitars. I'm also playing a brass coin pick most of the times. That's compensating for the alumitones I think.

Some would say, don't change an old all original. However, the neck of the Hoyer Explorer is having a partly fixed issue and I'm not happy with the old SD59. Pickups are in and I'm waiting for the pots and cap from singlecoil.com. Dirk Wacker has always given great advise on my projects in the past. So, it was a no brainer to immediately ask him again for a setup of the alumitones. 

Actually, the anodized gold alumitones are out of production and I had to wait quite a while for a set to appear on the market. It has been worth the wait.

Guitar project

To be continued...

9 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

What do Alumitones sound like?  Are they single coil, humbucking, or what?

Even the singlecoils are humbucking. They are using a transformer to lift the induction to the standard operational level. The frequency range is said to be wide. And they are said to be silent. They provide a lot of highs though. To Dirk Wacker I had suggested to go down to 230kOhm for the pots. To that he agreed. I'm down to 230 on the Tri Sonics as well. Working nice.

Back up and stringed with fore mentioned Thomastik Infekd Sliders .10 gauges. 

Pickups are indeed silent, very balanced, and have great drive. They also sound very acoustic and clear, not thin. 

Due to a faulty pot I have kept the old 500k pot at the bridge. It turned out to be the better solution sound wise. 

However, it turned out to be hard to find LP style pots fitting a thick top. Final selection are supposed to be military grade Israelians stamped US in the back. I'm not sure I'm done with the electronics yet.

Hoyer Explorer

3 hours ago, gorch said:

Back up and stringed with fore mentioned Thomastik Infekd Sliders .10 gauges. 

Pickups are indeed silent, very balanced, and have great drive. They also sound very acoustic and clear, not thin. 

Due to a faulty pot I have kept the old 500k pot at the bridge. It turned out to be the better solution sound wise. 

However, it turned out to be hard to find LP style pots fitting a thick top. Final selection are supposed to be military grade Israelians stamped US in the back. I'm not sure I'm done with the electronics yet.

Hoyer Explorer

Sexy!

Archived