Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1985 Electraglide SMG OFF THE MARKET

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Just think of what Stike can do to make it look cool.  :ph34r:

No worries. It is the wrong scale length and bridge for Diablo's tastes..😆

One of my two or three all-time Hamer "Grail" guitars.

One is the ORIGINAL Sam Moss Electraglide, which I've missed buying twice (both times it was snagged just before I could secure it :(  ).   These are more sentimental for me more than anything else, since Sam was my dealer back in the day, and I got to watch one getting unboxed.  Exciting times for me...

HamerElectraglideSMG_zps7b1bf02d.jpg

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

Good move taking it off the market. I'm on the fence and close to doing the same on the SC Redwood Ltd. 

Yeah I don't know what is going on but the Hamer market is filled with sweet offerings all over the place. Nothing is moving. I still can't believe a Redwood shows up and sits unpurchased that long.

wtf, over?

I say pull it and wait if you can. 

Cheers!

It's not just Hamers.

The entire guitar market is reportedly slowing to a crawl from some of the threads I've monitored elsewhere, as well as some listings on Reverb and eBay.  I'm seeing PRS and reissue LPs that were moving briskly in the $4-5k range a couple of years ago sitting at $3k for months and months.

Maybe the prophecy from a decade ago is finally coming true? :D

40 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

It's not just Hamers.

The entire guitar market is reportedly slowing to a crawl from some of the threads I've monitored elsewhere, as well as some listings on Reverb and eBay.  I'm seeing PRS and reissue LPs that were moving briskly in the $4-5k range a couple of years ago sitting at $3k for months and months.

Thats no joke man. I've seen more than a few nice LP Custom Shops from the "Good Years" and "Good Wood" pretty clean for under $3500 no selling. 

Guitarists that understand brands like Hamer and have the scratch are entering retirement, and the buying phase of life is pretty much finished as the purging begins.  And with amazing guitars that play like butter and sound fantastic being produced and sold incredibly cheaply the up and coming young guns can't see the rational in dropping heavy coin on "museum pieces".

Yep.

I'd love to find my Gear Page post on this topic from almost exactly 10 years ago.   I caught a lot of crap from the GP elite, but have always been convinced I'll get the last laugh.

20 minutes ago, svl said:

Guitarists that understand brands like Hamer and have the scratch are entering retirement, and the buying phase of life is pretty much finished as the purging begins.  And with amazing guitars that play like butter and sound fantastic being produced and sold incredibly cheaply the up and coming young guns can't see the rational in dropping heavy coin on "museum pieces".

Yeah, fuck them.

Dear old people,

Please send me a list of all the awesome guitars you would like to unload - so I have the best change of picking up the guitars that were too expensive to get previously :)

I'll be flogging them on in the same fashion in a few years anyway :)

Cheers,
Ben.

For Hamers there had been a buyers market around 2008. Since Hamer shut doors some people think they could unload their stable with a historic up charge that is not real considering the overall market. There are always buyers fulfilling a personal dream. However, in general, these prices are not working out. This is valid even for so called rare guitars. Except for numbered special runs, Hamer guitars are all individuals and are rare by definition. Remember, Hamer used to be called a custom shop. Separate Slammer, MIK and XT lines from the USA customs. The Asian produced lines had been industrial and always priced accordingly.

So, for now I think it is a watchers market rather than a sellers market.

6 minutes ago, gorch said:

For Hamers there had been a buyers market around 2008. Since Hamer shut doors some people think they could unload their stable with a historic up charge that is not real considering the overall market. There are always buyers fulfilling a personal dream. However, in general, these prices are not working out. This is valid even for so called rare guitars. Except for numbered special runs, Hamer guitars are all individuals and are rare by definition. Remember, Hamer used to be called a custom shop. Separate Slammer, MIK and XT lines from the USA customs. The Asian produced lines had been industrial and always priced accordingly.

So, for now I think it is a watchers market rather than a sellers market.

This forum, by definition, creates an inflated market for the used American Hamers.  The run of the mill models seem to track the overall market, but the vintage and custom stuff is best sold here, if you're the seller. 

11 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I believe it is. the great purge is here and just beginning to amp up.

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Crap.  I spent the last two weeks rolling coins found under car seats and taking metal out of my HVAC system to the recycling center just to scrape together enough money to buy the guitar, then just like that -- poof -- it's gone.  :wacko:

I sold my HVAC for the copper...  now winter is coming!  :o

:lol:

Archived