Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommendations for headphones to record

peedenmark7

Question

Finally getting around to finishing up the pre production recording  project I began last fall and am finding I absolutely need some type of quality headphones to do vocal recording.

Over ear, closed back, no batteries, etc.

I've done some reading and at least at this point feel I don't need anything over $200 , but that may change ,  for now I am looking for recommendations and keeping things simple.

Using a Korg D3200 digital recording studio with an Alesis Monitor One as the reference amp/speakers.

The phones I've seen the most feedback on in order are:

Audio Technica ATHM50X

Sony MDR7506

Beyer Dynamic DT770

Sennheiser HD280

Shure SRH8407

V Moda MD1200

Thoughts on the above ?

thanks, for looking !

25 answers to this question

I have the audio technica atx50.  Nice but seem to be bass heavy for mixing.  Do a good job of isolation for vocal recording.   You can find them for a good price sometimes.  49$ when I got mine.

This is a very timely thread as I was just looking at how to spend some Amazon points a few minutes ago and was planning on picking up some new headphones for the home studio.

I've got an pair of ATM40s and I've always thought they, too, were a little bass heavy like Mathman's atx50s. Maybe it's the brand.

For me, and what I could afford, it was either the Sonys or the Sennheisers. The bassist in my band has a pair of Sony 7506s, and like you read, they're kind of hyped in the low and high-end. When tracking, I hear more bleed out of his headphones than I do out of my ATM40s, too.

I've never owned the HD280s, but I read they're heavier, have good isolation, and have a flatter frequency response although the low-end can be a challenge to get a good mix out of, but since I'm going to be using these mostly for tracking and not mixing, that last item isn't a show stopper for me.

I bought the HD280s.

3 hours ago, peedenmark7 said:

Shure SRH8407

FWIW, my Sweetwater rep has recommended the Shure SRH840 (assume that's the same as the "8407").  Reviews are good, but I remain in the paralysis-by-analysis stage of studio outfitting.  That and, "oh look, a bunny!" 

I've used the Sony 7506 for a long time.  They're pretty flat response, not overhyped or anything.  I think there's a newer version of them out, but mine have been working for me for a long time.  

Look at the frequency response charts of all of them and ask the Sweetwater rep about stereo imaging as well.  Worst case is you return them.  

3 hours ago, triodecr said:

I also think the Audio Technicas are bass heavy.  I've not tried the others on your list but I've been very happy with the AKG K240s I have.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S

the K240s are NOT closed back, I have the K240 Mkii and I needed to buy something else to stop the bleed through back to my mic, especially recording with a click or drums.

the K72, K52 and the K92's are the "budget" closed back guys. 

On 9/6/2017 at 3:42 PM, Lockbody said:

I bought the HD280s.

What do you think of those, Bob? I bought a set on sale and haven't tried 'em yet. My wife got me Senneheiser HD600s (stupid expensive/killer sound) and I use those for everything now.

My old Sony MDR V6s are pretty flat and the old Denon AH-D700s have a low-end bump that works out good because I listen/mix too bass-heavy.

You almost have to go and try a bunch using a familiar source just because there are so damn many good (but different) ones out there. They pretty much have everything covered.

I actually have the audio-technica ATH-M40fs.  I wrote the previous email when I wasn't home.  Similar but not the exact headphone.  I like them because they have a 11 ft long cable.  Helpful when recording. Supposed to have a flat extended response according to their ad blurbs but still, bass heavy.  Which I like for listening, but problematic for mixing.

22 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

What do you think of those, Bob? I bought a set on sale and haven't tried 'em yet. My wife got me Senneheiser HD600s (stupid expensive/killer sound) and I use those for everything now.

My old Sony MDR V6s are pretty flat and the old Denon AH-D700s have a low-end bump that works out good because I listen/mix too bass-heavy.

You almost have to go and try a bunch using a familiar source just because there are so damn many good (but different) ones out there. They pretty much have everything covered.

They show up today, so I haven't got a chance to play with them yet. To spend the rest of my Amazon Rewards points, I also picked up an el-cheapo set of Tascam TH-MX2 phones to have an extra pair laying around. I'm interested in seeing how they compare to the Senns.

14 minutes ago, mathman said:

I actually have the audio-technica ATH-M40fs.  I wrote the previous email when I wasn't home.  Similar but not the exact headphone.  I like them because they have a 11 ft long cable.  Helpful when recording. Supposed to have a flat extended response according to their ad blurbs but still, bass heavy.  Which I like for listening, but problematic for mixing.

Yeah, those are the model I have, too. I don't get in what world they call 'em flat.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, anotherfreak said:

the K240s are NOT closed back, I have the K240 Mkii and I needed to buy something else to stop the bleed through back to my mic, especially recording with a click or drums.

I went to Guitar Center at lunch because I needed a new bottom head for my snare drum, and while I was there I tried out a few of the headphones. Of the ones they had on display, the HD280s were probably my favorite when it came to ones I would track with, but the K240s SMOKED them when it came to the sound. I guess that's to be expected with semi-opened back headphones like the AKGs vs the closed-back Senns. As mentioned above, they're not really good for tracking, but if I was going to buy some mid-range headphones to mix with only, the K240 would get my money.

Thanks for that link, Joe. Good info there.

I have most of these.  For tracking vocals, I'd go with the 7506's  They do have a hyped high end that will result in dull mixes, but for tracking, they're great for hearing nuances as you go.  Lay one of the earpieces on the side of your head and you shouldn't get much feedback, if any.  I didn't hear anything in the 280's that justified buying them (since I already had a pile of other cans), they're close to the 7506's.

If you're forced to mix on cans, or just want a reference as you go, I'd switch off between the ATM50X and the 240s, maybe throwing the 7506's in there too.

I ended up getting the 50X AT's... Gonna give them a shot, they came today.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:20 AM, hamerhead said:

I know peedenmark7 got the ATs, but I had a chance to record some with my HD-280s last night and was duly impressed. 

Sure enough, compared to my bassist's Sony 7506s, they seemed a tad dull and lifeless. Yet, before he got there and I put on his Sonys I would have described them as flat and even. 

We were recording his six string bass with my Boogie Mk IV through a Boogie 2x12 halfback mic'd with a SM-57. We also recorded a DI split from the Mk IV through an old Art Pro Channel, which makes a great bass DI, BTW. 

First of all, the 280's thick ear pads knocked out a lot of the room sound letting me hear more of what the mic and DI was picking up. I also noticed every subtle tweak of the EQ, GEQ, and mic position better than I remember with my ATH-M40fs headphones. And most importantly, what I heard on the HD-280s translated very well to my Event PS-8 monitors. If I got a good sound on the 280s, then it was good on the monitors. While the Events PS-8s aren't ADAMs by any stretch, I put a lot of mixes through them and know them pretty well. 

So sure, they're not the most exciting headphones to listen to, and wouldn't be my first choice to mix with if I had only headphones to mix on, but for $80 they gave me a fantastic picture of exactly what I was recording and I couldn't ask for anything better than that. 

Oh, the Tascams... I'm not sure what I expected for $30, but the best I can say about them is that they'll be okay when I'm out of headphones for the band. 

Getting used to really flat headphones is supposed to take some adjustment.  I say supposed to because I still haven't found a pair of really flat headphones to get used to that I could afford.

50 minutes ago, mathman said:

Getting used to really flat headphones is supposed to take some adjustment.  I say supposed to because I still haven't found a pair of really flat headphones to get used to that I could afford.

The Sony MDR7506 are like $100.  The Sennheiser HD-280s I think are about the same. 

On 9/6/2017 at 0:43 PM, mathman said:

I have the audio technica atx50.  Nice but seem to be bass heavy for mixing.  Do a good job of isolation for vocal recording.   You can find them for a good price sometimes.  49$ when I got mine.

Closed back for recording; open back for mixing.

Closed backs will generally sound bass-heavy.

Closed backs are preferred for location recording to block out all ambient noise.

Mixing in an isolated studio has no such requirement and the more linear sound of open back will be an advantage.

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Closed back for recording; open back for mixing.

Closed backs will generally sound bass-heavy.

Closed backs are preferred for location recording to block out all ambient noise.

Mixing in an isolated studio has no such requirement and the more linear sound of open back will be an advantage.

Unfortunately my studio is just a corner of a room at the end of the house.  Open back's bleed lots of noise in my house with two kids and a wife who loves her news and book tapes.   Life is learning to deal with the adjustments.

On 9/14/2017 at 3:16 PM, mathman said:

Unfortunately my studio is just a corner of a room at the end of the house.  Open back's bleed lots of noise in my house with two kids and a wife who loves her news and book tapes.   Life is learning to deal with the adjustments.

Maybe these?

81YOdIquLaL._SL1500_.jpg

If she complains about the $499 price, just answer that that's the cost of coexisting with news broadcasts and listening to books on tape. Or she could get hew own pair of  headphones.

shopkins-kid-friendly-headphones--068D16

On 9/6/2017 at 9:33 PM, anotherfreak said:

A very good point. Sorry I missed that.

Archived