Hamer Fan Club Message Center

OCD V2 - anybody try one?

hamerhead

It's on my short list but I have two V1.4s on my board already and was wondering if it's worth chasing. The interweb seems divided on the 'improvements'.

Tried it yet?

Wha?  So versions 1,2,3 & 4, above are actually 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 & 1.4 and now there is 2.0? :wacko:

Wow!  Maybe I was a little too harsh in my Lovepedal post... 

OTOH: my video posting was less than worthless. 

This is the best video I've seen comparing ALL versions (even the ones that "don't exist"):

I have the V2 on my board, but have never owned the earlier iterations so don't have a benchmark to compare it to. I also use a Fulltone Fat Boost in front of the OCD for straight clean volume boost (or to add another gain stage if the OCD is on).

31 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I have the FD3 and the FB section is my favorite. If you could have just one overdrive the FB3 is it. 

I think the boost section on the FD3 is the 2B, rather than the Fat Boost (if a standalone was your thought. I use the 2B as my lead boost. With an OCD (v1.7) in front of, it's tasty!

havent had a chance to try a V2. I'm sure it's a fine pedal. I just like the V1.7 so much, I can't see getting a different version of it.

Are these changes really audiable in a band situation? Or can, for instance, adjusting the treble, or mid knob, on a cranked amp change the sound so that using a V2 will sound like a V1 or vice versa? 

Very often the sound I like when playing alone does not work as well with the band, and the tone I have when we rehearse is not as pleasing on it's own - but in the mix it works far better and cuts through. That is why these youtube vids that compare pedals are so hard to use for evaluation of how a pedal will work in a band situation. Unless you really know how to use your ears and listen for that specifically. I doubt that 99% of the viewers understand this, and that they don't have the ears to judge. 

I just grabbed a V2 blem off the Fulltone site to give a whirl. We'll see if there's a noticeable difference. Hell I didn't even know they were up to 1.7......

I know OCDs have been all the rage for years now, but I have never tried one.....are they really all that, or are they just another flavor of OD & distortion?

What makes them so desireable?

15 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I know OCDs have been all the rage for years now, but I have never tried one.....are they really all that, or are they just another flavor of OD & distortion?

What makes them so desireable?

With a Fender amp they maintain the sound of a Fender amp while adding however much dirt you want. Every other OD I've tried doesn't do that.

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Paul Cochrane's Tim and Timmy's also do the job exceptionally well. It's also what they're known for.

The Timmy and OCD seem to be the "go-to" pedals for that. Fuller is a Vintage Fender fan and tends to voice their effects to pair well with Fender gear, but I've always used mine with more Gibby/Marshall style and it's been very nice. 

Ok, by Fender amps do you mean Blackface Fenders? I love the tweeds, browns, and blondes, but BF leave me cold. Weird I know.

So does the OCD work as well with mid-heavy Fenders like the tweeds and brown/blondes?

6 hours ago, Sugartune said:

I think the boost section on the FD3 is the 2B, rather than the Fat Boost (if a standalone was your thought. I use the 2B as my lead boost. With an OCD (v1.7) in front of, it's tasty!

havent had a chance to try a V2. I'm sure it's a fine pedal. I just like the V1.7 so much, I can't see getting a different version of it.

They are one in the same. At the prices you can nab a FD3 new it didn't make sense to by the stand alone. 

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

They are one in the same. At the prices you can nab a FD3 new it didn't make sense to by the stand alone. 

Fat Boost is the same boost as the 2B?

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Oh poor misguided soul...there are, there are......

My 1959 tweed Deluxe is my "baseline" for testing a guitar.  It's cleans are warm and fat, but the top end isn't at all muddy.  When cranked a bit, it's very Larry Carlton-esque.  When dimed, it's got that early ZZ Top thing.  And it accepts overdrive pedals like no amp I've ever owned.  I have yet to try the OCD.  I'm prowling for a good one now.  Great thread.

qKl63et.jpg

On September 15, 2017 at 8:31 AM, hamerhead said:

With a Fender amp they maintain the sound of a Fender amp while adding however much dirt you want. Every other OD I've tried doesn't do that.

Saucy Box

20 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

The Tim/Timmy pedals will work best for those, however from what I've experienced and heard, including from the great video posted with eight versions (LOL) the 1.1 and 1.6 OCD will work better than the other OCD pedals IMO.

I like the Timmy over the Tim and the OCD. 

14 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Oh poor misguided soul...there are, there are......

LOL!!

12 hours ago, The Shark said:

My 1959 tweed Deluxe is my "baseline" for testing a guitar.  It's cleans are warm and fat, but the top end isn't at all muddy.  When cranked a bit, it's very Larry Carlton-esque.  When dimed, it's got that early ZZ Top thing.  And it accepts overdrive pedals like no amp I've ever owned.  I have yet to try the OCD.  I'm prowling for a good one now.  Great thread.

qKl63et.jpg

Awesome amp! 

Archived