Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Studio's Belly Carve Cut

DeVai

I just received a 96' studio with the back carved. This is new to me. All the other studio's I've seen had solid straight backs. Does any one know what years the carved backs were done ? Was it common ? When did the design change ? Wayne 

I'm sure there are better informed folks who will chime in, but from my experience the belly carve coincides with the wrap-tail bridge in 1994 and finishes in 1998. From what I've seen, the tummy-cut was limited to the base unbound Studio. Archtop Customs and later Studio Customs went with the flat back. 

Show us a pic of the Studio! I love the wraptail models - perfect blend of Gibson Jr and PRS McCarty. 

3 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Probably because it doesn't have a tummy cut.  :lol:

With the trombone, it's the "neck cut", or "neck bend". Some trombones have really narrow slides, and those of us that have wider necks can have trouble fitting in there. So, sometimes they will bend the trombone. Sometimes they will bend the mouthpiece stem.

Another solution is to simply make the slide wider by replacing the end bow and cross braces.

13 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

With the trombone, it's the "neck cut", or "neck bend". Some trombones have really narrow slides, and those of us that have wider necks can have trouble fitting in there. So, sometimes they will bend the trombone. Sometimes they will bend the mouthpiece stem.

Another solution is to simply make the slide wider by replacing the end bow and cross braces.

Good thing those of us who play guitar don't do stuff like that to our instruments.  :lol:

I still think that when Fender added the "contour" body to the American Standard Telecaster for the last few years of production, it was blasphemy. It's not a tele if it's got a gut cut and forearm contour.

Archived