Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Getting wood

JimiH

Into the US

as some are aware recently scored some old mahogany from work, one lucky member got a piece sent over to the states

Just had a call from US customs 😳

Who asked for the species and genus 🤔

I explaned the situation and she said she will send an email for me to reply to.

Email

The above UPS shipment has been inspected and held by U.S. Customs and Border Protection- Agriculture.  The Inspector is requiring the genus and species of the wood.  Can you provide this information?  Please reference the attachment.

i sent back this with pictures of the original bench and my saw.

Reply from me

I got this wood from my work place which I have been an employee for 25 years. We recently moved offices and this bench was cut up by me and taken  home. The bench must be 35 yrs old at least. I belong to a guitar forum and posted about the wood. A member contacted me about sending him a piece for his own use. I attach pictures of the bench being cut up and of the pieces in my car. I hope this is enough information for you to allow the wood to its destination.

in heinsight I should of asked here before sending?

regards

geoff

Hope that all works out with the wood, but the bright side of this thread for me is that I really enjoy seeing people use words like heinsight (aka hindsight?) and always wonder how they came about the spelling/pronunciation.

My mother-in-law, an extremely devout and proper woman, started using the phrase "half-fast" to describe inefficiency and was mortified when she learned everyone thought she was swearing.

Latest

The Inspector re-held your shipment last night.  The Inspector refused entry because of not knowing the species and unknown treatment method.  The only options are to return this shipment at the shipper’s expense or have it abandoned.  Please reference the attachment.

ill go back and give the species Swietenia macrophylla but I guess they will want proof?

geoff

I give up

Re:  UPS Shipment #A66R34VV73X, Tracking number 1ZA66R340499669670

The Agriculture Inspector re-held this shipment and will be returning the shipment to Great Britain.   This wood is a CITIES ll wood and therefore can only go thru a CITIES port.  Please reference the attachment.

at least it looks like they will send it back FOC?

Geoff

Will be interested to know if you get it back. This whole episode is one of the very many things wrong with the entire mess.

Did they give you a specific determination of what kind of wood they think it is and what part of the CITES nonsense they think you violated?

Ridiculous.

Latest

Geoff,

Swietenia macrophylla is scientific name you provided to the Inspector.  The Inspector said it is Cites II wood and would have to clear through a Cites Port.  We are not a Cites Port here in Louisville KY.  I suggest you reference the following manual online.

CITES I-II-III Timber Species Manual - USDA APHIS

my response

Hi Sharon

Well why not route it through a CITES port? Surely this is preferential to sending it all the way back to the UK? How could I possibly know which ports this package would be routed through?

Regards

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Last thing I heard is they are sending it back to the UK at my expense. I left it for a while then contacted them again as I had received nothing.

this is their reply

The Inspector send the wood to a Cites II Plant Inspection Station pending botany.  The shipment should route back to this port of entry and then be released.  I will continue to monitor.

I mean fuck me!!??

I guess the botany will find its > 30 odd years old and exempt ?

Regards

Geoff 

Thank you,

42 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

Regulations. 

Providing justification for the existence of bureaucrats since the dawn of time.

Makes me want to re-watch Terry Gilliam's Brazil this weekend...and if I REALLY want to be depressed, I'd follow it with the John Hurt/Richard Burton version of 1984:

4 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

M Kurtzman must be the "Director of Project Management...?"

That little clip I posted isn't NEARLY the most monolithic example of bureaucracy in Brazil, or as all-compassing as that particular little world gets.  It gets MUCH darker.  :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, crunchee said:

That little clip I posted isn't NEARLY the most monolithic example of bureaucracy in Brazil, or as all-compassing as that particular little world gets.  It gets MUCH darker.  :ph34r:

One of my favorites ("and this is my receipt for your receipt"):

• 1 month later...

Archived