Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Lifetime Veto Songs

Steve Haynie

33 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

What are the songs you will definitely not play in a band ever again? 

My list starts off with Hurts So Good, Cocaine, and Wonderful Tonight. 

Man, I can't remember the last time I heard a band play Cocaine.   That's tough.  I don't really have songs I'd say I hate playing, it's more like other band mates wanting to play a song even if we don't sound good playing it.  

Listed in similar thread some years ago: "Rollin' On A River" and "Jeremiah Wuzza Bullfrog". That hasn't changed in the ensuing time period.

Add to those: "Tie A Yellow Ribbon"

8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Funny. I was going to lead off my list with your last two.

ETA: Just found this pic of EC reacting to a fan's request for "Cocaine" during a small, private concert.

EE1886-Eric-Clapton-2000-Epiphone-Les-Paul-EE1886.jpg

7 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Funny. I was going to lead off my list with your last two.

ETA: Just found this pic of EC reacting to a fan's request for "Cocaine" during a small, private concert.

EE1886-Eric-Clapton-2000-Epiphone-Les-Paul-EE1886.jpg

He gave the same look when I specifically asked him to play Freebird on an Epiphone he'd never seen before.  :lol:

Hmm. I've never really had to play a tune that would eventually land on the LV List. GnR's Sweet Child of Mine  and DP's Smoke on the Water come close.   Coincidentally, we just started doing Poison's Nothing But A Good Time.  Not my fave song but it has enough fun things going on in the lead to make it tolerated.

Any Pink Floyd music, Too many years of being bombarded with Classic Rock radio.  The classic rock Station out of Indianapolis (best know for the Home of Bob & Tom) Q95. It had become a running joke of what going to playing when it turn on the station. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or John Mellencamp.

27 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Hmm. I've never really had to play a tune that would eventually land on the LV List. GnR's Sweet Child of Mine  and DP's Smoke on the Water come close.

No, they come closer than close.

23 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I think I spawned this thread in some small, but not insignificant way!

Free Bird.  Smoke on the Water.  Cat Scratch Fever.  Stairway to Heaven.  Honky Tonk Woman.  And I played them all for years and years!

Our drummer hates A Hard Day's Night.  We used to open with it every gig.  Let the Gsus ring out and what was he going to do? 

8 hours ago, essgee said:

Hmm...  Talk Dirty To Me by Poison?  I even refused to play it back in the day.

Listen to the solo, then listen to the solo in Cheap Trick's California Man.

Vetos?  Were I ever to play a gig, I'd put Hotel California at the top of my "nope, don't know that one, sorry" list.

"Mustang Sally"

"Old Time Rock and Roll"

"Mony, Mony" comes very close, but those two are the worst.  The Poison and GnR stuff goes over huge.

13 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Nothing is off limits for me, unless we try it and suck at it. 

I'm not a Doors fan but we did a couple that we twisted around enough to make them OK.

43 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Anything by the Grateful Dead

I appreciate the players, but I went to see a Dead tribute act with a friend years ago.  The best song was Johnny B Goode - because it was like 3:30.  Everything else was....just too long.  

Archived