Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Low volume/wattage amp that still sounds killer?

Punkavenger

Another vote for the Yamaha THR 10.  Great stuff.  I mostly use it with headphones because my wife is noise sensitive (actually, I am even more noise sensitive than she is).  Only have one old tube amp left now.  Never use it.  Way too loud.

If your neighbor is anything like me there is no amp without headphones that will not bother her; even an acoustic guitar will likely be a problem for her.

In my case lots of people think I am plain crazy.  They simply cannot hear what I can easily hear.  Also,  unfortunately, I don't seem to have the ability to block out those sounds.  I can't for sure say that having very sensitive hearing is a gift.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, cynic said:

One, two, and three other times.

oh my cynic, you must have a hi-performance search engine.:D

Perhaps we should team up to write "Chakra for Dummies".  I'd buy a copy, I'd even autograph it :blink::lol:B)  Cheers!

caddie

On 9/29/2017 at 1:50 PM, velorush said:

One of the three versions of the Yamaha THR-10 (the leftmost three in the photo).  Seriously.

e703be65-3190-48ba-9745-8026872f6dc7.jpg

THR-10: Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brit Hi, Modern

THR-10C: Deluxe, Class A, US Blues, Brit Blues, Mini

THR-10X: Power I, Power II, Brown I, Brown II, Southern Hi

And all three have Acoustic, Bass and Flat settings and function as a recording interface.  No tubes, but really, really great for low volume practice.

So I've decided this is the way to go. If it still is too loud I have a new pair of Audio Technica headphones that sound pretty nice. Plus she usually leaves town from Tues to Fri so I have that 3 day period to rock out. 

Which model would you choose? I like to "attempt" to play darker heavier stuff like Black Sabbath and also british electric blues such as early Peter Green , Cream, Stones etc etc

BTW thanks for all the great responses. You guys crack me the f**k up  :) 

Looks like a good choice and even has the headphone option if that becomes necessary.

Enjoy and let us now how it sounds. The Thr10c is intriguing...It does Brit blues and according to the reviews, is easily heavy enough for 70s metal...but since I have actually never played one, I'll defer to those who have.

I'm planning on getting one of those as well, something I can play on and enjoy the sound without having to get my little Mesa express out, unravel all the cables, and do that thing with the master volume where you have to get it a fraction of a millimetre between off and too loud which is the acceptable volume for in the house.

not sure which to get though...

The THR 10X does the most gain but it's super versatile and will do anything from sweet cleans to face-ripping drive! Perfect for blues/rock too. My personal favourite channel is the Brown II channel (with only half gain) pushed by an OD808 out front with just a little reverb...

1 hour ago, Vic Croll (Concrete Sox) said:

The THR 10X does the most gain but it's super versatile and will do anything from sweet cleans to face-ripping drive! Perfect for blues/rock too. My personal favourite channel is the Brown II channel (with only half gain) pushed by an OD808 out front with just a little reverb...

So you can use pedals with this or is it a simulation incl. with the amp?

I have the THR10X. Sounds incredibly big for its size and with some tweaking, you can build some nice custom patches. The USB connection is cool, as there is a free editing software that you can download from Yamaha. 

6 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

I put pedals in front of my (now Nathan's) THR10 just fine, but the editor has tons of additional effects and is incredibly more tweakable than the parameters presented on the face of the unit.  So, either or both.

8 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

It has lots of FX built in but it also takes pedals well. Google it ;)

I don't own it any more... but the marshall slash sl-5 on low power setting was

very good at low volume... was quieter than the DSL-15 I had at the time... although

I know they make a DSL-5 that I haven't tried... although tone-wise didn't really

dig the quick ramp up of overdrive in the dsl...

my problem with the slash thing was that it weighed like 50 lbs, and for

something that struggled to get over a drummer, it's a pretty pricey paperweight. 

but for low volume it's nice. 

Mr. Punk,  Here's an idea.  When she complains again, and we all know she will, cuz her constipation chakra is a fragile little lotus.  But when she complains again invite the guys over for a jam session.  Jam on the Rolling Stones Bitch or Twist & Shout.  I can't hear you, did you say you want it louder,  ok gents, you heard the wrinkly old tart from next door, turn 'em up to 11!

Come awn, come awn, come awn baby now!  Work it awn out.  

Don't forget the Hef tribute outfit and oh,yeah I almost forgot the pipe!  Noooo, not THAT pipe ya perverts!  The Sherlock Holmes Pipe.

Hef, you know you've made it when Mattel makes an action hero toy in your image, with real Kung Fu grip!  

3751348428_f07f1bc686_o.jpg

14246821-asian-sherlock-holmes-with-pipe

Wabbit Season, Duck Season, Wabbit Season....

Cheers!

caddie

Nice one, Punx. I have the THR5. Not as fancy as the 10, but it is a perfect travel amp and sounds great thru my DAW. The included software is very cool. If you have a way to plug your pc/Mac into powered monitors, that's another way play quietly. 

3 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

ordered the THR10X today ... it better be good or I'm holding everyone here responsible!  :) 

Good? GOOD? You'll be sending all of us that recommended the THR gift vouchers man :D

Rob likes his THR5 so much, he told us 3 times :P

7 hours ago, RobB said:

"smartphone."

Forgive the aside, but I really like this ^^^.  I move the official spelling of smartphone be changed to include the quotation marks.  "Smartphone" - because they ain't!

I really, really, really hate my Galaxy S5.  :mellow:

PA: when you get the THR, go here and download the Yamaha "THR Editor" software.  An amazing array of effects and parameters available with the editor and the settings can be saved to the preset buttons for later recall.

Archived