Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tom Petty in bad shape

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Me as well.  Damn the Torpedoes was one of my first records.  

Yup. That album sent me back to the earlier ones and every one since. TP was a fantastic songwriter, guitarist, singer, and bandleader. 

He was also a gearhead like us, 

I was lucky enough to see him several times in concert, most recently 3 years ago with Winwood at the Garden.

I loved to see the multiple sweet guitars that Petty and Mike Cambell would bring on stage, as well as the great musical performances.

I am a big fan of the Traveling Wilburys as well and Tom's work in the Concert for George, he is one of the truely great ones IMO. 

It's getting rather dicey on the interwebs. Some are saying he's dead, some that he's not dead, and a ton of fake accounts claiming to be his children are popping up.

It's sad because these fake accounts look like they are written by angry 12 year olds, and Tom Petty's two daughters 42 and 35 years old, and artists in their own rights.

Damn the Torpedoes was one of a handful of albums that I learned to play drums to as a youngun.  I really enjoyed watching him back Bob Dylan back when they all toured with the Dead back in the later 80s.  A great songwriter who let the song speak for itself and didn't try to make everything too complicated musically.  If he is indeed gone, RIP, and if he's still with us, Godspeed.

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Yup. That album sent me back to the earlier ones and every one since. TP was a fantastic songwriter, guitarist, singer, and bandleader. 

He was also a gearhead like us, 

Those early albums are great.  Great lyrics.

For many of us Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers wrote & played the soundtrack of our lives.  

Thanks Tom, thanks for sharing your gifts...

caddie

ps - sure hope he was an organ donor. Maybe that soul of Tom's can live on.  Until the coroner's report is released I'm still holding out hope.  "You can stand me up at the gates of hell but i won't back down."

My band was playing rush week at UF in Gainesville and he made the rounds.  It was 1978 (I think).  We were on break in the yard and he walked up.  He told us we should try to get the gig at the SAE frat.  He said, "They have the best weed and make great grain (alcohol) punch".  I'll never forget it.  Praying for him and his family.  Just one of the guys. 

4 hours ago, Brooks said:

there was a lot, actually

yup. there was a lot!  Like Air Supply,  the group that made elevator music come out of its cult-like status and into our frozen foods aisle.

rarensch

caddie

Liked him from the first chord I heard and bought the stuff available at the time. The Wilburies were to polished for my ears. So, he fell of the radar since. I couldn't distinguish between Jeff Lynne and him for quite a while.

Anyway, he had been one of the greatest. RIP!

Son of a buck Tom why so young?  You still had a couple decades of good stuff rollin' around in your noggin....among all the seeds & stems.:(   its just the  normal noises around here 

This one bothers me more than any other......he wanted to stop touring so he could spend time with his granddaughter.....DTT made me a huge fan, and strangely enough I didn't like Full Moon Fever at all when it came out....20 years later I got it....lI loved everything else he ever did. His nasally voice inspired me and my nasally voice.....I loved how he played rhythm and lead. 

He loved playing guitar. 

And the songs? Him and Springsteen. Very different, yet so similar in some ways.

A rocker to the end. Hypnotic Eye is a guitar album and Through The Cracks is a fave of demos and b-sides.

Check out his version of Lucinda Williams's Change The Locks. Rhythm guitar 4 chord master class on RNR guitar.

The radio report just said there were erroneous reports of Petty's death during the day, but he died in the evening when the family chose to take him off of life support. 

Tom Petty was a big topic of conversation while waiting in line for the Rob Zombie concert yesterday.  People were checking their phones and just finding out about Tom Petty. 

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and fans. 

One of my friends plays in a Tom Petty Cover Band and because of this, I have heard more TP songs in the past decade. 

I think my favorite song penned by Petty is "The Last DJ".

Rest in Peace, Mr. Petty.

Hamerica

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

The radio report just said there were erroneous reports of Petty's death during the day, but he died in the evening when the family chose to take him off of life support. 

Tom Petty was a big topic of conversation while waiting in line for the Rob Zombie concert yesterday.  People were checking their phones and just finding out about Tom Petty. 

Yeah, according to what I read, the LAPD for some reason told CBS and Variety when they called that Petty had passed. That's what started it.

Sadly it was just a little premature. After going into cardiac arrest for who knows how long, there isn't much that can be done. He was only kept alive by the machines, and even early yesterday they were stating that he had no brain activity.

Archived