• Moody Blues
  • Radiohead
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
  • Nina Simone
  • Sister Rosetta Tharpe
  • Link Wray
  • The Zombies

Uh, Nina Simone? Really liked her vocal style (particularly on Emergency Ward!), but if she's rock and roll, I'm William F. Buckley, Jr.

...and still no nomination of Grand Funk R.R., which comes as no surprise...

The Zombies have been touring with both the current line up and the remaining original members, and they perform the entire Odessey and Oracle album with added singers to recreate the harmonies on the album.  From a promoter's standpoint, they would be one to book at a big award ceremony because they can play 60's music for the donors who show up.  I saw them in April at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta, and they were wonderful. 

Nina Simone is to RnR as Jethro Tull is to Heavy Metal

Sister Rosetta was a badass.....

JGeils, Dire Straits, Link Wray & the Cars deserve it, as do the Zombies and Moody Blues.

No Judas Priest love? I literally wore out Sin After Sin and Sad Wings back in the day. Rocka Rolla got a lot of play too, as did Uneashed In The East. The later stuff slowed me way down, but I loved the early JP.

You left out "Screaming for Vengeance," which IMHO really expanded the reach of metal as far as the mid-80s masses go and subsequently IMHO earns them RRHOF induction just for that milestone. Hell, I dated girls in HS who liked that album as much as my buddies and I did.

I think whether you love or hate metal, you have to admit that it has been one of the most hardy of all of rocks many bastard children.  Just when you think it is dead, it comes back again.  Sabbath, NWOBHM, Thrash, Hair Metal, Post-Thrash, Nu-Metal, New Wave of American Heavy Metal, the ton of great extreme metal acts in the 00s... it's always there in some form or fashion.

I'd love for anyone to tell me one band more important to what metal became by the early 80s and always kept at least a toe in, no matter what permutation it took, besides Sabbath than Priest.  There are others that may be as important - maybe - but none other that was moreso.   There is no way you can have a Metallica in there and not Priest, at least in a rational world. 

14 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

+1

Funny, I was just thinking, how is it the Moody Blues aren't in?

Take away the 60's & 70's and their stuff from the 80's is still more deserving than many of the schlums already in. 

One of the early pioneers of Prog Rock, (of which I'm not a huge fan, but since when does my opinion weigh on importance?)

Saw them over the 4th of July weekend at Ravinia, and they still sound great. 

P.S.: Paul Revere & the Raiders ain't nominated, either. Like Grand Funk R.R., they were a "people's band" but since when would the R&RHoF care about democracy (even if it's something optional, like entertainment)?

10 minutes ago, currypowder said:

Does anyone except the RRHOF give a flying f^*& about the RRHOF and who is or isn't in it?

Plenty of people do, given the level of discussion that's inevitably generated by the nominees announcement, the inductees announcement, and the induction ceremony.

10 minutes ago, currypowder said:

Does anyone except the RRHOF give a flying f^*& about the RRHOF and who is or isn't in it?

Yeah. Don't hate that list. Don't love it. Don't care honestly.

If it was ONLY "rock and roll" it would be more interesting - packed to the rafters with rockabilly and blooze-rawk acts - but it's REALLY a "popular music that sometimes featured a guitar or drums" hall of fame. I might adore Cannonball Adderly or Igor Stravinsky but they're about as rock and roll as Kate Bush (whom I also love.)

6 minutes ago, polara said:

Yeah. Don't hate that list. Don't love it. Don't care honestly.

If it was ONLY "rock and roll" it would be more interesting - packed to the rafters with rockabilly and blooze-rawk acts - but it's REALLY a "popular music that sometimes featured a guitar or drums" hall of fame. I might adore Cannonball Adderly or Igor Stravinsky but they're about as rock and roll as Kate Bush (whom I also love.)

Ice Cube says it best starting at 5:43:

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

Radiohead, really....? :ph34r:

If they disclosed the vote totals, I'd bet that Radiohead is the runaway leader.  Huge critical darlings, tours sell out almost immediately, just about everything they release is a major event.  It'll be a major controversy (at least as far as the RRHOF goes) if they weren't to get in.

2 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I think the RRHOF provides much fodder for debate more than anything. The only thing that irks me is that the group that owns the RRHOF trademark, wouldn't know good music if J.S. Bach's ghost came back to sodomize them all with his fountain pen and baton.

Yeah, but they stepped up and started the thing before anybody else did, so they get to call it whatever they want and indict whoever they want.

They may not not squat about good music, but as the first sentence in your reply indicates, they sure know a lot about marketing.

22 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Link Wray should have been a couple of the very first inductees, IMO.

Yes, but they wouldn't be buying any extra $20,000 tickets for family and friends. A reunion with Richie Sambora would nice for a night. 

Archived