Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1993 Special USA: Worthwhile replacing plastic nut?

Hi Folks. Newbie to the forum here, Hamer owner for about four months. I bought a used red '93 Special that I really like, and someone suggested that replacing the inexpensive black plastic nut with a bone (or other) one would improve the tone. Any thoughts on this? I imagine it's costly to have it done. Thanks!

A bone nut will only improve the tone of the open strings, so if you are playing a lot of cowboy chords then it might be worth it, otherwise I wouldn't bother, unless the current nut is causing tunings stability issues.  If you do have it done, it shouldn't be much more than $60 or so.

Shouldn't be more than $75-100, including setup, so not too costly. Find the best tech in your area for the job. Nuts are easy to do but not easy to do properly. 

Tone? Meh. Maybe on open strings, but really makes no diff when you fret notes. A bone nut looks better than Hamer's black lubritrak, if that matters to you  

I never replace a nut unless a fretjob is involved. 

sure... but I would make sure the guy has enough skills to cleanly do it.   I've seen a lot of hack jobs where they

mess with the surrounding finish... 

but to clarify... anything wrong with the existing nut?    slots messed up?   if not I'd say leave it.  

Welcome to the HFC!  Its THE best group of totally guitar ate-up, knotheads on this crazy world wide web of things.  I've learned more facts and substance from these guys than anywhere else on the internet - period.

Keep in mind that much if this whole guitar/GAS thing has little to do with "need" and much about "want" -  that's the first rule of this slippery slope.  :D

Bone nuts are certainly nice and better than plastic in most cases, but only really help you on open chords like the others have said above.  Your big ticket hardware items that seem to have the most effect tone are of course the pickups, electronics and tonewoods of the guitfiddle in question.  If you can get it done cheaply (and well) and everything else is great - I might do it.  Of course, the single biggest effect on  your tone will be your fingers

Welcome to the forum.

I believe the black nuts on the US models were Graphtec, or something similar.  Definitely not plastic.  They work fine and sound fine.  As sed above, bone *might* sound better on open chords.  I prefer the look of bone, so i have replaced a few.

Exactly this - Hamer did. It use cheap plastic nuts on the USA models.  

Starting in the 80s, Hamer used their "Lubitrak" nut, which is basically identical to what PRS used (and still uses).

I'm a fan of the lubitrak nuts. Had an Artist custom order with fossilised ivory nut that wouldn't stay in tune without regular lube. 300K Bursts come with a 10c nylon nut - it's not hurting your tone. 

If it’s black and came on it originally, it’s a perfectly good nut. The way it’s cut - and of course if it’s just worn out if, say someone used mad-heavy strings - matters more than material. That’s the factory nut. Keeps the strings on and stays in tune? I’d keep it :)

You got a very good deal! Tastes vary but Lolars are very highly regarded here. I happent to like the stock Duncan’s but they’re a bit louder and less... let’s say, full-range than the Lollar P90s I’ve tried. Different flavors.

You’re gonna like that guitar, I think! 

2 hours ago, polara said:

... Keeps the strings on and stays in tune? I’d keep it :)

The strings don't have any play seated in the nut, and it stays in tune fairly well - not amazingly, but OK.

2 hours ago, polara said:

You got a very good deal! Tastes vary but Lolars are very highly regarded here. I happent to like the stock Duncan’s but they’re a bit louder and less... let’s say, full-range than the Lollar P90s I’ve tried. Different flavors. ... You’re gonna like that guitar, I think! 

I really do like it. I got out of music for a long time, and got back into it six months ago, with the focus being rhythm and vocals. This guitar feels really good for rhythm, and all three pickup settings are very unique and usable. P-90s are noisy as hell, but I've learned to work with them. The Helix noise gate is helpful.

2 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

Concur with the above - you got a deal, and if it were me, I'd leave it alone and just play the crap out of it.  Of course, you are likely a better player than I am, and can get better than crap out of it.  :D  Just play it!

I wouldn't make any assumptions :-) I do play the heck out of it, though. Sounds pretty good acoustically.

Question for you all: I read that the necks on these are flexible due to the wood - what does this mean? It is pretty sensitive to slight pressure on the neck.

Thanks again!

Re: chip, maybe the nut was changed or re-seated or something?

Funny you should mention - the following one is pretty. Guy's asking $800. He also has a twin of mine for $700. No OHSC like I got - which I strangely really like (custom/curvy).

image.png.dded2c50fd98d4708e05caf9542ce100.png

image.png.73763bb13de6c0ba20a5b28281d7fde8.png

8 hours ago, marmatkat said:

Question for you all: I read that the necks on these are flexible due to the wood - what does this mean? It is pretty sensitive to slight pressure on the neck.

Not sure where you read that, so would love a cite.  I've NEVER heard that about Hamers, from this era, or any, really.  Certainly not in the last 35+ years I've been deeply into Hamers.

10 hours ago, marmatkat said:

P-90s are noisy as hell, but I've learned to work with them. The Helix noise gate is helpful.

Depending on what you're playing, I'd say back off the gain a bit and adjust EQ.  It'll still sustain.  :lol:

Archived