Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pickup recommendations - Single coil size bridge HB

Carl.B

In a old Daytona long since gone, I had a SD Hot Rails in the bridge position and I liked the beefy sound it added. Thinking of replacing the bridge pickup in my current Daytona with a Hot Rails but thought I would ask here if there was something else I should try. 

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Carl B

I like those suggestions.  At various times, both of them took up space in an ash Daytonas I had.  The Hot Rails was really good and, if you were willing to roll back vol and tone knobs, surprisingly versatile.  Come to think of it, the JB Jr. was pretty versatile too.  I sold the one with the HR and kept the one with the JB Jr.

Of course, now in my only Daytona are plucky Bill n' Becky pups that are nothing like those other two.   YMMV  :D

I will give the JB Junior & Little '59 another listen once I get home and can turn up the sound louder than 3. Dam sound on this Dell workstation desktop is no better than 2 tin cans connected by string. 

I like the DiMarzio Chopper, especially wired with a coil tap.  It gives you both full size humbucker and thick P-90 tones.

3 hours ago, Carl.B said:

I will give the JB Junior & Little '59 another listen once I get home and can turn up the sound louder than 3. Dam sound on this Dell workstation desktop is no better than 2 tin cans connected by string. 

2 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

I like the DiMarzio Chopper, especially wired with a coil tap.  It gives you both full size humbucker and thick P-90 tones.

I have a chopper in one of my Tele's and it is a damn fine pickup. The other Dimarzio that I like is the ProTrack for a hot PAF Tone. Jay installed a Pearly Gates Jr in a Phantom for one and it was also killer. 

Plus one on the Lil' '59. I've got one in the bridge position of a couple Strats. Makes them very versatile guitars.

I've got them wired so they're split in the bridge/middle position to keep the Strat in-between sound. Full humbucker in the bridge position. I also have the second tone control on the bridge pickup.

Update:

I stopped by my locale mom & pop shop on my lunch hour. They had a used lil 59, a hot rails,  and a GFS version of the hot rails. So I left with the lil 59 and I am free to bring it back for an exchange on another pickup or money back. I am not sure if they would do this for everyone but I have spent enough money there over the years and have known the owners for over 20 years. Hopefully get it in tonight or tomorrow! :D

On 10/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, Carl.B said:

GFS version of the hot rails

I had one of these in a mexi strat and it was great, a little clearer than I remember a hot rails being (years ago). HHB likes 'em too, and he hates everything, ha

Rig 10-14.jpg

Archived