Hamer Fan Club Message Center

SS's Glow Charvel

diablo175

The SuperStrat owned by Steve Stevens, he won a Grammy for the Top Gun theme, which was played on this very guitar. The Charvel San Dimas-built, Glow Strat head Dinky!

image.png

4 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I hope your point in sharing this was not to disprove my assertion that he played the Charvel on the actual studio recording. ;)

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

I hope your point in sharing this was not to disprove my assertion that he played the Charvel on the actual studio recording. ;)

I shared this video because I think Steve is another one of those guitar monsters that is often overlooked............I'm a BIG fan of all his work.Top artists like Steve have multiple instruments using different ones for different things,I have no doubt that IS the guitar he used in the studio for the recording,the guitar sure is cool........... if that guitar is yours you are VERY lucky to own it. Steve Stevens certainly IS  in my book a "Top Gun".:)

1 hour ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I shared this video because I think Steve is another one of those guitar monsters that is often overlooked............I'm a BIG fan of all his work.Top artists like Steve have multiple instruments using different ones for different things,I have no doubt that IS the guitar he used in the studio for the recording,the guitar sure is cool........... if that guitar is yours you are VERY lucky to own it. Steve Stevens certainly IS  in my book a "Top Gun".:)

Ever since they came out with that sound page in Guitar Player that featured his vast array of styles and prowess, I've been a huge fan! I liked what he did with Billy Idol in the early 80's but not enough to shake my fan boy fanaticism of players like Dimartini, Lynch, Van Halen and of course, Vai. That sound page record changed that. Then and now, I'm a huge fan.

6 hours ago, diablo175 said:

The SuperStrat owned by Steve Stevens, he won a Grammy for the Top Gun theme, which was played on this very guitar. The Charvel San Dimas-built, Glow Strat head Dinky!

image.png

Do you think he’ll do a new one for Top Gun II? What guitar do you think he’ll use?

Anyone know what guitar(s) he used on Whiplash Smile? That is Steve's finest work to this day, and his greatest guitar tone. After that album he lost if for me for the most part, and became just another shredder goon, (with some exceptions here and there over the years).

11 hours ago, Disturber said:

Anyone know what guitar(s) he used on Whiplash Smile? That is Steve's finest work to this day, and his greatest guitar tone. After that album he lost if for me for the most part, and became just another shredder goon, (with some exceptions here and there over the years).

He definitely used two SSIIs I acquired directly from him.   :rolleyes:

I believe he used the Copper one as his main axe there, correct?

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I believe he used the Copper one as his main axe there, correct?

The guitar tone on that album is so awesome. Warm, toneful and full. If that is a Floyded Hamer then it's the best Floyd Rose tones I've ever heard. Not that I don't like his tone on Top Gun Anthem, it's an epic tune, but his guitar sound on Whiplash Smile surpasses it by far.

I gave Jerusalem Slim a spin yesterday after reading this thread. I had not listened to that album in perhaps 10 years plus. His guitar really sounds thin and not at all that good on that album, similar to the Atomic Playboys album or Vince Neils solo album. Compare that to Whiplash Smile, it's like night and day. Such a unique guitar tone, it lifts the whole album to levels above the rest.

Archived