Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: Custom Firebird pickup - SOLD

JS Moore custom wound Alnico V Firebird pickup from my parts drawer.  I used it in bridge position but could work well for neck also.  Jon wound it for me in 2013 after I sent him this video for a tone reference and he absolutely nailed it when used in my FB-V:

Measures out at 7.4Kohm resistance, wound in the vintage style for plenty of bite and presence. He lightly potted it - just enough so there's no microphonics.

Chrome cover and bezel included, tons of 2 conductor lead left.  $60 shipped anywhere in N. America, a little more for int'l.

I am coming to believe that Firebird pickups may be the BEST all-around humbuckers......the bite and presence of a single coil yet the smooth throatiness of a bucker.

I am no expert, but the set I have are wound to 60s vintage specs and they are brighter than PAFs.....thinner too, but they react very well to the tone control on both the guitar and amp.

More cut, as you can hear in the video posted above, yet still throaty and fat enough for chords. It did take me a while to dial in the balance between the neck and bridge.

I imagine that through a BF Fender with the treble knob high there would be icepick....but through Marshall’s, tweeds, Browns, blondes, and Vox circuits, mine are just perfect. Like anything else, you may need to tweak amp settings to taste.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived